Postpartum Workout

MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
Does anyone have any good recommendations on something I can start soon after I have this baby? I am afraid that if I lose weight too quickly I will end up with flabby skin that will need to be removed (like with Gastric Bypass).
Is there a step by step instructional guide on how to get your stomach back without getting that loose skin?

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Munchy, as of now I do not have any loose skin, and what I have been doing is aiming for gradual gain while pregnant and gradual loss after to try to avoid loose skin and stretch marks. I find that breastfeeding has actually been really great for helping me to lose gradually and gently. I didn't do anything the first couple of weeks after delivery because I was in too much pain from my stitches in my second-degree tear. Then, I just started walking outside with baby and inside on the treadmill. This past week, I stepped it up to running on the treadmill. That and drinking a lot of fluids and eating clean seems to be doing it. I am waiting for my PP checkup and then I am going to take some body pump classes to step it up a little. I know everyone is different, but for me, just being healthy and patient is working just fine.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I had a couple pregnancy workout videos that I had used, so I started doing them again about a week after DS was born. I was feeling good and they weren't very strenuous, so I didn't see any reason not to. Then I gradually increased my workout intensity until I felt like I was at a "normal" level. I mostly did videos, because they were easy to do at home while the baby was napping. I lost weight steadily but not super-quickly--at my 6 week appointment I had lost about 20 or 22 lbs.

Then again, I might not be the best one to give advice because I do still have some loose skin on my lower belly. (Plus some stubborn pounds that I still haven't lost.) But I can tell that it's gradually improving even now, 8 months after DS was born. I think skin elasticity must be at least partly genetics.
    ehLB.jpg
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I don't know if this accounts for all skin in all places, but I was recently watching an episode of Dr. 90210. On this episode there was a female to male transsexual that was having his breast tissue removed to have a more male appearance. There is more than one surgery performed to do this and they had to wait 6 months for the skin to kind of settle back before they could do the second procedure. So it might take 6 months for the skin to bounce back anyway. I dunno because I have that damn csection flap, which I hate.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Most doctors like you to wait until after your 6 week checkup to do any kind of exercise other than walking. My doctor told me I could resume slowly after my 6 week checkup. You really need to give yourself these 6 weeks to heal from giving birth.

It's been a year and I still have flabby stomach skin. I have about 10 pounds to loose from the 40 pounds I gained. I also have a lot of muscle to gain back. Chas was just weened so I'm hoping to start exercising heavy and cutting calories like before.

FYI, if you plan to breastfeed be careful doing a lot of exercise until your milk balances out. Exercising can affect your milk supply, it did mine.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Please wait until your 6 week PP checkup and take it easy!

DH has already operated on 2 women this year who gave themselves hernias by exercising too aggressively (too many sit-ups!) too soon after having the baby. The body does need time to recover.

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I recommend walking until the doctors tell you otherwise. I was given a sheet of very low impact exercises that they recommended that I do upon discharge. I think but am not certain that the book Lose Your Mummy Tummy had similar movements listed.

I think that there isn't much you can do about that will predict whether you get the stretched out tummy skin or not. I was always told that it has more to do with your skin's elasticity than any active action by you.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, you really do need to wait the 6 weeks. You wouldn't want to hemmorage!

And you can exercise to help get yourself back into shape, but overall the flabby, loosness of your stomach is going to tighten up with time.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm bugging myself out by looking at the shape of a mother website. I really don't think I could handle looking like most of those women. I honestly don't know what I would do.

Munchy wrote:
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm bugging myself out by looking at the shape of a mother website. I really don't think I could handle looking like most of those women. I honestly don't know what I would do.

Those websites are so extreme. I don't look at that stuff any more after one website of post partum post lactating breasts freaked me out. I think most women have much more subtle changes than that and can still look good after having a baby if they put in a little effort. I'm sure you will be fine.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Munchy wrote:

hell, if i would have seen that website pre pregnancy, i think i would have been alot more prepared for what happened to my body! im still in shock.
    subbrock wrote:
    Munchy wrote:

hell, if i would have seen that website pre pregnancy, i think i would have been alot more prepared for what happened to my body! im still in shock.

You're still just a couple of months PP... I doubt your body will stay like that!

.png

534Pm5.png

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    subbrock wrote:
    Munchy wrote:

I agree! I'm 10 years pp and still lamenting. So much is genetics. My mom's side has English and Irish ancestry. That alone seems to make her and I more prone to stretch marks. Our skin is thinner than my sister who took after the Italian side from my dad.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    I agree! I'm 10 years pp and still lamenting. So much is genetics. My mom's side has English and Irish ancestry. That alone seems to make her and I more prone to stretch marks. Our skin is thinner than my sister who took after the Italian side from my dad.

im english and irish too...
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    Munchy I just posted my stomach-toning regimen on the non-hair board. It saved my stomach but I did it 18 months postpartum The only workout I got during the first few months was breastfeeding. I would have to suggest that you don't start these until your Dr./Midwife recommends it b/c they are very strenuous- but I swear by them.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    realistic wrote:
    Munchy I just posted my stomach-toning regimen on the non-hair board. It saved my stomach but I did it 18 months postpartum The only workout I got during the first few months was breastfeeding. I would have to suggest that you don't start these until your Dr./Midwife recommends it b/c they are very strenuous- but I swear by them.

18 months is A LONG time to go when it's hard for me to look in the mirror on a day to day basis.

BUT - rather have it go away period, than not at all.

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    realistic wrote:

What thread did you post this under??? I would like to see your regimen.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    Munchy wrote:

Those websites are so extreme. I don't look at that stuff any more after one website of post partum post lactating breasts freaked me out. I think most women have much more subtle changes than that and can still look good after having a baby if they put in a little effort. I'm sure you will be fine.

I agree. Many of the women posting also had preganncies that involved multiples. On one hand, it's good to see the "worst case scenario" on the other, it can be horrifying to see if you don't know how your own body will look post partum. Trust your body, Munchy. I lost my baby weight just from breastfeeding and eating right.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    realistic wrote:

What thread did you post this under??? I would like to see your regimen.

Right here about a quarter of the way down.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My ob/gyn told me at 2 weeks I could start to exercise again. I did lots of cardio, a little strength and later, some ab toning stuff. My skin tightened up pretty well. I had a small jelly roll under my belly button but I looked pre-baby otherwise. In clothes you couldn't really notice. I lost close to 70 pounds in 3.5 months and I was fine. I think some of this is genetic...and no, I don't believe Irish ancestry is a stretch mark sentence at all. It wasn't with my mother or me.

• realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    Munchy wrote:
    realistic wrote:

18 months is A LONG time to go when it's hard for me to look in the mirror on a day to day basis.

I'm not saying you have to wait that long. I just procrastinated. :wink:
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    realistic wrote:
    Munchy wrote:
    realistic wrote:

I'm not saying you have to wait that long. I just procrastinated. :wink:

Ahh, ok. I will run it by my dr to see when I can start!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file