Toddler Bed

DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
When did you transition to a toddler bed? Xander is 22 months and showing no interest in climbing out of his crib. I was thinking of redoing his room in Cars for his birthday and thought that getting big boy stuff that he picks out would make him more likely to want to sleep in his new big boy bed. However, I am in no rush. He can stay in the crib as long as he wants. I just want have the cool transition items later. What's your experience?
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We transitioned Bailey by taking the front rail of the crib off @ 18 mos. She wasn't crawling out but was fighting being put into her crib to sleep. @ first we got a bed rail for the side b/c she seemed a little scared w no side. Then to keep her from constantly getting out I did the Supernanny thing. I kept a few floor pillows propped up next to the bed.

At two years 4 mos we moved, so we switched her to a twin bed then.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My oldest was climbing out of his crib by 1, so we kept the side rail down so he wouldn't have to fall far. I tried to transition him into the toddler bed between 14 and 18 months because I was pg and would need the crib.
    He finally transitioned fully a bit after 2 years old. We were living in my parent's home, so I could use the crib for him and their old portable crib for the baby. Not long after he moved into the toddler bed, he moved into a twin bed. There wasn't much different in height.
    My daughter transitioned from crib to toddler bed around 2.5, then twin bed within the year.

If you're fine with leaving him in the crib, then do it. Some kids like the security of a crib longer than others. My niece, almost 4, was in a twin bed, and has reverted back to the crib. Funnily, her younger sister (2), who was in the crib, is now sleeping in the twin bed vacated by her sister. The younger is much more independent than the older, so this makes sense to me.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • kimberly jkimberly j Posts: 153Registered Users
    We are going to be setting a toddler bed up for Jocelyn today and she is just turning 21 months. Like Xander, she shows no interest in climbing out of the crib, but I'm going this route for somewhat selfish reasons. Her crib rail somehow jammed and doesn't slide up & down, so it is incredibly difficult to get her in and out of bed by lifting her up & over the rail all the time (I even have an exercise stepper at the side of her bed that I step on because I couldn't lift her in and out at my height). There are times in the morning where I have to lift her out while she is still sleeping because she is the hardest child to wake up (takes after her father that way), so bending over the rail to do this isn't the easiest.

Her crib does convert to a toddler bed (the side rail comes off), but I'm not too keen on her sleeping without something on that side and it is quite high. We bought a portable siderail, but it specifically says not to use it with toddler beds, only twin beds & up. Jocelyn is a very squirmy child when she is sleeping, so putting her in a toddler bed that has built-in rails seems like the best option, plus it is only like a foot off the ground, so we can put a pillow down in case she scoots to the end and slides out.

The bed was given to my mom from her friend who had it for her granddaughter, so my parents are bringing it to our house this afternoon and we are going to set it up. I'm not sure how Jocelyn will react to it, she doesn't mind sleeping in our spare full-sized bed, so hopefully she'll like this.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I let all my kids stay in the crib til they were 3. None of them ever climbed out, so I wasn't about to give up that nice safe place until I absolutely had to.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    We moved Karan out of his crib at 20 months because he was just freaking out in there. We thought maybe its because he's so tall that he was feeling claustrophobic. We took down the crib and bought him a single bed.

Now he's sleeping full time in our bed. :?

I'd keep Xander in his crib as long as you can. It can be work keeping them in the bed. Being pregnant and having to get up early for work, I just couldn't deal with the multiple visits to our room at night (not to mention the worry of where else he may wander off to), but once he tasted freedom there was no going back to the crib.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been thinking of posting a similar question.

How did everyone get their kids to stay in the bed?

Kade he was never a problem with sleeping, but Korbin, almost every time it's a fight. He has gotten out a few times, so he needs one. I a few times with his brother's bed, but he just won't stay in it at all. No sooner then I turn my back he's up and playing.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I did the Supernanny thing. Told her to stay in her bed, and every time she got out, I put her back in. I had a baby gate in her doorway so she wouldn't go down the stairs.

When she REALLy fought me on staying in bed, I put her in bed, and sat next to the bed and waited for her to fall asleep. The next day I turned my back to the bed and sat on the floor. The next day I sat in her doorway. Everytime she got up and out of bed I would put her back in bed, and go back to the spot I was sitting in.

The first day took the longest for her to fall asleep. About 45 minutes I think. The whole process took about 4 days.

• geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    DA--Elise is not an escape artist either. We will most likely convert her crib when she turns 2.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As always, thank you all for sharing your insight.

I might have spoken too soon. He has gotten tons more climby this weekend. climbing onto bar stools and into the SUV and whatnot. I will just play the toddler bed thing by ear. I definitely like having the definite boundaries for him. His sitter said that he doesn't sleep in a crib anymore at her home but he does all sorts of nice things for her that he doesn't do for me.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Just out of curiosity, what is the point of a toddler bed, as opposed to going straight from crib to regular bed? Just the height, so the toddler won't fall as far if they get out?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PixieCurl wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what is the point of a toddler bed, as opposed to going straight from crib to regular bed? Just the height, so the toddler won't fall as far if they get out?

I think the height is the biggest bonus. Our crib converts to a toddler bed so I like the idea of not buying a new bed for another couple of years.

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:
    I think the height is the biggest bonus. Our crib converts to a toddler bed so I like the idea of not buying a new bed for another couple of years.

I see. Our crib converts too, but I'm wondering what I'll do depending on when we have our next kid. We have plenty of extra beds (3 twins and a full) so if this baby is ready to be out of a crib when we have our next, that would be ideal. Otherwise we'll just have to buy another crib.

Oh, and I should probably stop getting ahead of myself and just worry about this baby first! :lol:
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote:
    DarkAngel wrote:

I see. Our crib converts too, but I'm wondering what I'll do depending on when we have our next kid. We have plenty of extra beds (3 twins and a full) so if this baby is ready to be out of a crib when we have our next, that would be ideal. Otherwise we'll just have to buy another crib.

Oh, and I should probably stop getting ahead of myself and just worry about this baby first! :lol:

I bought a convertible crib, so when she was old enough, I just took off the front rail and it pretty much became a 'toddler bed'. When we moved into our new house, I was pregnant, and anticipating using Baileys crib for Bella.

Bailey was 2 years 4 mos when we moved, and at that point we just figured to do the bed transition at the same time as the move - that's when we put Bailey in a twin bed.

The toddler beds seems like a waste of money to me b/c they're in them for a short time.

• wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    We are forced to get a toddler bed b/c even though Kennedy's crib turns into a bed, it will be used for the baby. Best laid plans...

She's in our room 90% of the time though. We're doing the whole "big girl room" thing and choosing a princess theme (since that's her interest now). I'm hoping with a pretty room, she'll want to move out. Yeah right!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    Betsy started getting out of her crib at around 2 1/2. We also had a futon in her room & we'd find her sleeping on it so one day we had a "bye bye crib" party & put some pretty pink sheets on the futon & that's where she's slept ever since.

Her crib is a convertible & transitions into a fullsize bed but right now the futon's the perfect height for her.

And a new futon pad was cheaper than a new mattress & box spring!
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    We got Julian a big boy bed when he was around 15 mos I think. He had been sleeping in our bed before this. I sit and read him stories and tuck him in and then I have to sit in his rocker next to the bed until he falls asleep and then I leave. The whole thing takes ~30 minutes. (I bring a book for myself too). Our bed was pretty cheap but I bet you find one for next to nothing on Craig's list. They don't get much wear and tear because you use them for such a short time.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    Max was a little over 2 when he got his toddler bed, now we're looking at bunk beds.. I was looking at the ikea catalog and saw this really cool bed, it starts as a toddler bed and then you pull it longer to use it as a twin bed I thought that was a really neat idea..
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Max climbed out of his crib on his second birthday. He also climbed over the abby gate and came downstairs. I transitrioned him to a toddler bed soon after that. I went with a toddler bed because his room was small and we could use the crib mattress. I bought him a loft bed when I was expecting Maya as they were sharing a small room and I needed the space under the bed.

Maya's 31 months and LOVES her crib. I showwd her the bed, she wants nothing to do with it. She's petite, too- I'll let her stay in the crib as long as she wants.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    We are forced to get a toddler bed b/c even though Kennedy's crib turns into a bed, it will be used for the baby. Best laid plans...

She's in our room 90% of the time though. We're doing the whole "big girl room" thing and choosing a princess theme (since that's her interest now). I'm hoping with a pretty room, she'll want to move out. Yeah right!

I think she will. But why don't you skip the toddler bed and put Kennedy in a twin bed? You can get a safety rail for it.

I'm hoping to get C out of her crib/toddler bed this week (we took the rail down in February), because I need to start putting this baby down in her crib.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    medussa wrote:

I think she will. But why don't you skip the toddler bed and put Kennedy in a twin bed? You can get a safety rail for it.

I'm hoping to get C out of her crib/toddler bed this week (we took the rail down in February), because I need to start putting this baby down in her crib.

I would start with at twin but we are recieving a really CUTE toddler bed from a friend so we'll go with it. Question- how long do they stay in a toddler bed? Is it height, weight, age?
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file