Which formula do you give your little one?

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
I got a whiff of Similac and that stuff smells awful. Does anyone use Good Start? I recall that one having a very mild smell.

I'm asking because I want to give my daughter one bottle at night, before bed. Yes, I do think the extra calories and protein of formula can sustain them a little longer.

So sue me.

Comments

• puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    I used Enfamil Lipil. It's the one they use in the hospitals here in DC. But I wouldn't use it for the smell - after she finished her bottle and I rinsed it out, I would always breathe out of my mouth. :tongue6:
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We use Enfamily Lipil for my nephew, and I think it's also what the nieces had. I have limited experience, but I think it has a mild smell.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    medussa wrote:

I'm asking because I want to give my daughter one bottle at night, before bed. Yes, I do think the extra calories and protein of formula can sustain them a little longer.

So sue me.

:lol:
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
    Ellie's been through all the Enfamils and, after being diagnosed with a milk protein allergy and lactose intolerance, is now on Nutramigen. Wanna talk stinky poos? I call her Smelly Ellie!
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Liam was on Nestle Good Start for a while and then on Nutramigen Lipil and Similac Alimentum

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We used the Enfamil Enfacare for low birthweight babies to add calories to the breastmilk. I tried switching him to regular Enfamil Lipil and he went on a milk strike. Finally, Good Start worked for us for the last month or so before cow-milk.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    :laughing9:
    Enfamil

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    medussa wrote:

So sue me.

My DS started sleeping 12 hours through the night when I began supplementing him with formula. Seriously, that very night. (Meanwhile, I still woke up at 4:00 a.m. for a few nights. :wink:) So, I definitely hear you!

We've been using the generic Wal-Mart brand--just a regular milk-based formula with iron--I think it's called Parent's Choice. Formula is $$$! :disgust:
    ehLB.jpg
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We used Carnation Good Start. It didn't have much smell at all. God knows it didn't help her sleep.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Oh, I just remembered this regarding Good Start. There is a boycott against Nestle formula for their use of unethical practices to promote formula over breastfeeding in developing countries. I don't know how justified the boycott is, but it might be worth consideration.
    ehLB.jpg
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, I know about the boycott but in my case, I had a screaming six week old who needed to eat and Good Start didn't make her throw up. I didn't love it, but that's where we ended up.

Although if you are concerned about Nestle, you should really look into just how many brands they own.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote:
    God knows it didn't help her sleep.

Go ahead, burst my bubble! :cussing:
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    medussa wrote:
    So sue me.
    :laughing9:

Sorry, I don't have an answer!
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cajuncurls wrote:
    Ellie's been through all the Enfamils and, after being diagnosed with a milk protein allergy and lactose intolerance, is now on Nutramigen. Wanna talk stinky poos? I call her Smelly Ellie!

We tried Chas on Nutramigen when we were supplementing my breastmilk. That is the stinkiest stuff. Smells like old french fry grease. I gagged and he refused to take it.

Enfamil GentleEase worked for us. It does have a smell just not like the Nutramigen.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sarah42 wrote:
    medussa wrote:

So sue me.

My DS started sleeping 12 hours through the night when I began supplementing him with formula. Seriously, that very night. (Meanwhile, I still woke up at 4:00 a.m. for a few nights. :wink:) So, I definitely hear you!

I'm thinking about doing this. My DS is 6 weeks tomorrow and is a HUGE eater. Also, I'm having nipple problems and it's hard keeping up due to the pain. I'm hoping this might give me a break to heal. When did you all start this practice?
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • jennapeachjennapeach Posts: 37Registered Users
    We used Good Start too. We tried Enfamil, which constipated her. We tried Similac, which made her poo like crazy. We tried Good Start and it was *just right*. Plus, like someone else said, it didn't stink. OMG, Similac STANK. I just couldn't bear that smell.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    i've always used the walmart brand i compared the back of the cans to the more expensive kind and they all matched....
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think that's a myth. Breastfed babies CAN (and do) sleep through the night just as well as formula-fed babies can.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    cmt.gif
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i've always used the walmart brand i compared the back of the cans to the more expensive kind and they all matched....

I think they match for the most part ingredient-wise but the Wal-Mart version of Enfamil was more clumpy and harder to dissolve than the real thing. Not a huge deal but it annoyed me.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file