Were you pregnant during winter? I have questions for you

wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
Did you buy a "maternity" coat? Do they even sell these? I am hoping to never be this big again so I am planning to use a swing coat from my mother (who is plus size). It fits so far - but it's not cold yet and I have to make it to December.

Did you buy maternity sweaters?

So far I've had minimal swelling but last time I had horrible swelling the last trimester. Did your feet swell? If so, what did you do for footwear
?

TIA
HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
password: curlzorwavez

Comments

• CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    These are great questions - I'm wondering the same things!

My sister found great sweaters at this one Gap in NYC that sold maternity stuff cheap to move it.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    I was pregnant durign the winter. I found out I was pregnant in September and had my son in May.

I live in Texas so it was never THAT cold. I just used a regular coat. I didn't get HUGE until it was almost summer time. And I got a few maternity sweaters but the ones I ended up really liking and the ones that looked more fahsionable were the ones that were just regular clothes, maybe a size up. It fit snug and I was small everywhere but my belly (at that time).
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    #1 was born Nov 10. I had/have a large black wool cape. And I wore that a couple of times last time around. But it really hadn't gotten very cold by that point. The week after she was born it turned ridiculously cold but I was already starting to lose some weight and didn't need to go outside much at all. So I made do w/ what I had and was back to my normal size in about 3 months.

I'll have an extra month to go this time. So I'm not sure if the cape is going to work as it's not all that heavy. Not sure what I'll do...I'll be huge again, for sure. But I refuse to buy a maternity coat to wear one month. Hmmmmm

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    My sister was pregnant in the winter (and it gets COLD where we live) so she bought a maternity winter coat. Her son was born at the end of April, so she wasn't TOO huge at the coldest part of winter (though it usually snows here through March). I'm pretty sure she had to buy shoes in a larger size too.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    My friend had a February baby. It was cold. She wore her FIL's coat but bought a few maternity sweaters.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    I never bought one. I just wore my regular coat and didn't button it. With a sweater and a scarf, it was enough for me since I was warmer when I was pregnant. And I'm usually freezing.

BTW, I'm in MD too, and there aren't usually that many freeeezing days here, so I don't think you necessarily need a maternity coat.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had 2 May babies.
    I ran so hot during pregnancy that I didn't need sweaters. I wore mock turtlenecks most of the time. For a winter coat, I either wore mine open or borrowed a larger one and wore it open.
    A swing coat sounds perfect.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I layered alot. Thermal silk undies + polartec + fleece

I purchased a couple of ponchos too.
  • LieselLiesel Posts: 189Registered Users
    I wore a regular coat but never buttoned it. I did buy a couple maternity sweaters but thin ones. I never really needed anything extra to keep me warm. And I bought a couple of slip on shoes with no backs to wear, this way I could slip them off whenever I had a chance. I did buy a light maternity coat at Target and a jean jacket at Old Navy. They are both super cute and I actually still wear them.

• wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I'm hoping for a mild winter. MD can be tricky.
    I do remember last year we were all pulling out our shorts the first month of December! :happy2:
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I was planning on just keeping my jacket open (its not that cold here) but I totally forgot about shoes!!

I wore flip flops for the last 2 months of my pregnancy (summer in CA) and even though my feet didn't look swollen they were a size bigger than normal.

What am I going to do this time?
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I had a December baby. I just wore one of my husband's jackets. It wasn't super cold in Missouri, so I did fine. We did have a cold snap about a week after he was born, but I was all holed up in our apartment then.
    ehLB.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had 2 late-December babies, but I never needed a maternity coat. I was always SO FREAKING HOT while pregnant that sweaters were usually enough (too much actually). Or I just wore my regular coat left open in the front. No need to button up a hot mama.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    I had a mid-February baby and by November it was so cold and I was so HUGE that I had to break down and buy a warm maternity coat. Until then, I was getting by with knitted ponchos. Once I did buy a coat, I couldn't believe I actually waited that long. I ended up getting an almost new wool Gap coat off Ebay for really cheap. I loaned it to a friend who is small like me, who got equally huge, and who had a baby exactly a year later.

I was also a freak in that I was, just like I always have been, always cold, even when pregnant. I got a bunch of cheap, lighter weight sweaters from Old Navy and Target.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i found out i was pregnant in october and had majerle in june...

i didnt buy a maternity coat, i just didnt zip or button my coats, but then again i guess i can get away with that in NC
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I was pregnant in the winter twice (one was born in March, one in January), and I did not buy a maternity coat. I borrowed a coat from a friend who wears a larger size than I do, and left it open at the very end with my son (I was huge). Honestly, though, I was so freaking hot most of the time that I didn't need a coat.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    you know, I forgot about the internal heater that you have when you are pregnant. I was so freak'n hot in the summer but I couldn't tell if it was really a hot summer or just me. Now I'm beginning to think, it was just me.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    you know, I forgot about the internal heater that you have when you are pregnant. I was so freak'n hot in the summer but I couldn't tell if it was really a hot summer or just me. Now I'm beginning to think, it was just me.

Seriously - we have the AC on full blast and I've had to use a box fan just on me for the past two days at home too. :laughing9:
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
    Did you buy a "maternity" coat? Did you buy maternity sweaters?

I was pregnant throughout the winter, and had my baby in the middle of March. I didn't buy either. I was SO freaking hot the whole time I was pregnant, that I didn't need either.

Did your feet swell? If so, what did you do for footwear?

Oh mercy--my feet swelled up two sizes! I had to end up buying a few pairs of comfortable flat shoes in my pregnancy size.
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • curlicurli Posts: 857Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you buy a "maternity" coat? Do they even sell these? I am hoping to never be this big again so I am planning to use a swing coat from my mother (who is plus size). It fits so far - but it's not cold yet and I have to make it to December.

Did you buy maternity sweaters?

So far I've had minimal swelling but last time I had horrible swelling the last trimester. Did your feet swell? If so, what did you do for footwear
    ?

TIA

I was always so hot I wore my winter coat open all winter.

Now a days they have sooooo much maternity wear it kills me! When I was PG they didi'nt have all the nice things they have for PGwomen now. If you don't want to spend alot of $ you can shop @ H&M or Old Navy for great CHEAP nice maternity wear.. I wish I had that option. I use to wear her fathers sweats & shirts :laughing9: If I got pg again I would go that route so I can discard them when im done.

As far as footwear goes I wore sneakers most of the time. But you have to use your discretion on that 1. Mmy feet did swell but I always wore sneakers so that helped.

BTW my daughter is a winter baby.. January.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i wore extra large regular sweaters that fit my belly just fine. i wore my old navy peacoat. when i couldn't button it, it didn't matter because of the bulk of sweaters and under shirts i had on. i was only ever going from my car to a building or vice versa, so it didn't matter so much that i couldn't button the front all the way. our winters aren't bitter. they normally average 35-40 throughout. if we had bitter winters where teens and single digits were the norm, i'm sure i would have had a proper coat to cover me.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    I had my son in March. I had about 3 sweaters and a couple of cardigans for work. I also bought a maternity pea coat from the Gap. I think it was about sixty dollars. I wore it all winter so it ended up being a good purchase.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file