Laundry for Baby - fabric softener?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
I know I need to use special detergent for washing baby stuff (Dreft or Ivory Snow) but I'm wondering if it's okay to use regular fabric softener?

I'm going to run a load of stuff today so that I can put the nursery together tomorrow :D
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I just asked my husband about this - he said we can wash the clothes in regular detergent. Somehow it scares me, but I know he's done this before...

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I remember correctly, laundry softener destroys the flame retardant nature of baby clothes. Something like that. We don't use it because of X's eczema. Dreft is the only detergent that we were ever able to use. I tried one of those Free and Clear ones and his issues flared up worse. Some babies don't need special detergent. The ones who do seem to need it in a major way. I use Dreft for all of our clothes so I don't have to worry about doing special loads just for baby stuff.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    It depends on the baby, really. My son was fine with regular detergent, althougbh I used the baby stuff for the first few weeks. My daughter's skin was really sensitive, so I used baby detergent (I think I used method) for quite a while.

I never used fabric softener on my kids' clothes. My ex husband was sensitive to it, so I never used it. Too much potential for irritation, IMO.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I just use the Kirkland/costco brand free & clear detergent and no fabric softener. if I want the clothing to smell extra fresh I use either a bit of white vinegar in the rinse cycle and/or line dry.
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:
    I use Dreft for all of our clothes so I don't have to worry about doing special loads just for baby stuff.

Oh. My. God. Never would I have come up with this. I would have just separated everything - a huge p.i.t.a since we have to go to the laundromat to do laundry.

Thank you Dark Angel!
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I would stay away from fabric softener, just because of the potential it has to irritate sensitive skin.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Fabric softener is highly toxic stuff. It's got stuff like pentane, chloroform, benzyl acetate - all known carcinogens and neurotoxins. Plus, it sticks to the fibers of clothing and so it exposes the wearer to those chemicals for long periods of time.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think Dreft is awfully expensive. I found a much better priced baby detergent that worked great. I wish I could think of who makes it...

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    We used Dreft for a while, then started using regular Free & Clear detergent for Ben' stuff, as well as ours. Don't know about fabric softener and I never use it for us and we never used it for Ben either. For the reasons that Velvet Paws listed, and also just think it's nasty, I don't need something that makes my clothes smell or have an artificial coating.

This is waht we use for our laundry, thanks to a tip from Marielle. Sometimes add some OxyClean and sometimes a little white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Very happy with it. We get it from drugstore.com.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I'll skip the softener.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I think Dreft is awfully expensive. I found a much better priced baby detergent that worked great. I wish I could think of who makes it...

I wonder if Free and Clear would work just as well, for less money. Free and Clear is gentle enough that my gynecologist recommended I use it--if it's gentle enough for "down there" :) I'm sure it's gentle enough for baby skin. And it has no dyes or perfumes.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    iris427 wrote:

I wonder if Free and Clear would work just as well, for less money. Free and Clear is gentle enough that my gynecologist recommended I use it--if it's gentle enough for "down there" :) I'm sure it's gentle enough for baby skin. And it has no dyes or perfumes.

Free and Clear works great for most people. It wasn't "free and clear" enough for Mr. Sensitive Skin.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • jcejce Posts: 512Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OK, question for those that don't use softener: How do you get rid of static cling? I've tried going without softener, since my son has a bit of eczema, but all the clothes come out staticky and it drives me nuts trying to pull them all apart and fold them! I do use the 'free and clear' softeners, but it would be nice not to have to use it at all.
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    jce wrote:
    OK, question for those that don't use softener: How do you get rid of static cling? I've tried going without softener, since my son has a bit of eczema, but all the clothes come out staticky and it drives me nuts trying to pull them all apart and fold them! I do use the 'free and clear' softeners, but it would be nice not to have to use it at all.

Don't really get it, but I found this:
    link

Maybe we don't get it because I use vinegar?
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    iris427 wrote:

Chas has somewhat sensative skin. We used Tide Free and never had an issue. My sister told me Dreft still has some perfumes and dyes even though it claims to be for babies. Don't know if that's true but I skipped the expensive Dreft.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    River has sensitive skin and we used Dreft right at first but onl real detergent like Tide really gets the funky spit up smell out. And now we use Bounce Free fabric softener sheets too.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    we used dreft for the first 3 months all the time. Then i started throwing his stuff in ith ours here and there, i only do "steven" loads when i think about it.

We just use tide free and clear.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Target generic of Dreft smells REALLY good, and it seems to soften the clothes.

I just used that for the first couple of months. I used it on our clothes too b/c her skin could get irritated from being held up against MY clothes.

I especially made sure the blankets and bedding were washed in gentle detergent.

I also found that baby soaps are too perfumed to smell like a baby and they would make my kids break out. Now I just wash them w/ Dove, or Ivory bar soap.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file