Bad bad mommy

DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I get to work this morning and something doesn't feel right. I turn off the car and sit there and try to figure it out. Maybe it's because I am so early and I have been running late recently? No. That's not it. Then I look on the floor and see a Nemo backpack. OMFG, I forgot to drop Xander off. I look in the backseat and there he is just as quiet as can be.

What the hell? I drop him off nearly everyday so it's not like my routine was changed. I cannot believe I was that distracted. I don't even know why I was distracted. I just thank God that I remembered him. He most likely would have been okay because I have to leave for a late morning hearing before it gets to hot or one of the staff would have seen him sooner before then but still. :(

The sitter is now on orders to call me if he isn't there by 8am and I haven't called to let her know that we are running late.
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Awww I bet he looked so cute when you looked back and he was sitting there all quiet (then again, when is he NOT cute?)!

Not a bad mommy though - better that you realized when you did!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    You can definitely add me to the bad mommy list. Tuesday, I almost left the house without Maya. I had set her down so I could put the dog in before we left. She normally will follow Max to the car, but turned and went the other way. I had turned the car on and was ready to pull out of the driveway. I had a wierd feeling, like I had forgotten something, then I said "OMG, where's the baby", just as Max was saying "Mom, my sister...".
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Whew! Thank goodness you looked back.

I still want to cry when I think of what happened to Ian Takemoto. And for dad to live with that guilt. There are no words.

Edited: The above case happened two weeks ago or so. I'm thinking of another story very much like this one. Stories like this aren't uncommon.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's crazy. I read those stories about other parents doing it always felt bad for them because I understood how it could happen. I just didn't understand just how easy it was.

There was another similar fatality just yesterday. A school principal forgot her two year old.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:
    It's crazy. I read those stories about other parents doing it always felt bad for them because I understood how it could happen. I just didn't understand just how easy it was.

There was another similar fatality just yesterday. A school principal forgot her two year old.

I bet Xander would have said something when you left to go out of the car though.

I remember a friend of mine who almost forgot her newborn on the top of her car after she'd helped her toddler into her seat. She was mortified but later she could tell the story with a laugh.

The thing to remember was that you saw him before something happened. It's scary but all turned out well...
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That mom's intuition is awesome! I think it shows you're a good mom who listens to that little feeling, stopped, and thought about what it could mean.
    ((hgus))
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    Thankfully you listened to that intuition I have to double and triple check the backseat before we leave because I have this huge fear of leaving quentin somewhere Max I don't worry about I always know when he's in the care
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    It is scary. I just wanted to say that you're not a bad mom. We all have our "oh sh*t" moments.

I found the story I was thinking of. The dad posts on the same message board I used to post on. His name is Mark Warschauer.

Good point about mother's intuition, Cynaminbear. I came across a blog that discussed the difference between moms and dads. Not sure if I agree, though.

Difference Between Mom and Dad
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    You are not a bad mommy, at least you realized he was still in the car with you--you did not endanger his life.

This just happened here in St. Louis--so sad :(
    St. Louis — A pediatrician running late for a meeting at St. Louis Children's Hospital phoned her husband to meet her in front of the hospital to pick up her car.

Walking to the hospital from his job nearby, he thought she just wanted him to park her car. She thought he knew the baby was in the back seat and needed to be taken to day care because she hadn't had time to do it.

In the confusion, police said, their 7-month-old daughter Sophia was left to die Thursday in a sweltering sedan on a parking lot at the Washington University School of Medicine.

Passers-by smashed a window to get to the infant shortly before 12:30 p.m., as the outside temperature reached 95 degrees. CPR failed to revive her.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    I -just- read about little Sophia. :(

Thanks, ladies. Mother's intuition is the only way I know to describe knowing he was there. He was being so quiet and I know that he would not have made any noise if I got out of the car. He usually waits patiently until I get him out.

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How scary! I'm glad you remembered him!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    These stories are so sad. I can't even imagine it.

I think everyone has had an OMG moment where you think how close you were to disaster. It leaves you with such a horrifying feeling.

I almost stabbed Lucy with a steak knife when she was like 2 months old. I was cutting something and didn't realize how difficult it was going to be and the knife sort of popped once the thing was cut. It came just inches from Lucy's face. It still makes me sick to think about it.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    St. Louis — A pediatrician running late for a meeting at St. Louis Children's Hospital phoned her husband to meet her in front of the hospital to pick up her car.

Walking to the hospital from his job nearby, he thought she just wanted him to park her car. She thought he knew the baby was in the back seat and needed to be taken to day care because she hadn't had time to do it.

In the confusion, police said, their 7-month-old daughter Sophia was left to die Thursday in a sweltering sedan on a parking lot at the Washington University School of Medicine.

Passers-by smashed a window to get to the infant shortly before 12:30 p.m., as the outside temperature reached 95 degrees. CPR failed to revive her.

I heard about this story on the radio on my way to work this morning. It about brought me to tears. Connor is that same age, and the thought of it gives me chills. Those poor parents! I can't even imagine.
    ehLB.jpg
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    People just have way too much going on in their lives if they're forgetting their children.

And I just don't get why someone would put the seat on TOP of the car.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    babywavy wrote:
    People just have way too much going on in their lives if they're forgetting their children.

And I just don't get why someone would put the seat on TOP of the car.

Wow. Thanks for making me feel better.

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Hugs DA. We've all been there in some shape or form.

I can't count the number of "Brittney moments" (as we like to call them around here) that I've had with Karan. I once drove around with him not belted into his seat - to a doctors appoint no less. Another time I belted him into the carseat but then forgot to belt the carseat into the car (I didn't have the base). I turned the corner out of the garage and the entire seat with him in it tipped over.

I'd like to think that I'd never accidentally do something so tragic as what you hear in the news, but sometimes I am shocked at how easy it is for me to be careless.

Hugs DA. We've all been there in some shape or form.

I can't count the number of "Brittney moments" (as we like to call them around here) that I've had with Karan. I once drove around with him not belted into his seat - to a doctors appoint no less. Another time I belted him into the carseat but then forgot to belt the carseat into the car (I didn't have the base). I turned the corner out of the garage and the entire seat with him in it tipped over.

I'd like to think that I'd never accidentally do something so tragic as what you hear in the news, but sometimes I am shocked at how easy it is for me to be careless.

Thanks. We have a pretty similar carseat story. When Xander was a little bitty guy, we would unbuckle him from the carseat when we were in a restaurant or wherever and then buckle him back in when we got in the car. My husband forgot to buckle him back in once and we only figured it out when we heard a thump and some shrieking from the backseat. The poor guy was half out of the carseat wailing his head off. I am ashamed to say that we got the giggles right after. We're mean parents.

I love that you call it Britney moments. I have to remember that.

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    babywavy wrote:

A lot of people have way too much going on in their lives, and unfortunately there's nothing they can do about it. I know I have way too much going on already, and my baby isn't even born yet. I don't have the privilege of being able to just get rid of some of the things on my plate. I actually had a dream the other night that my baby was born and I kept forgetting to feed him. I know that wouldn't actually happen, but I am terrified that I'll lose track of something important at some point.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    babywavy wrote:

I actually had a dream the other night that my baby was born and I kept forgetting to feed him. I know that wouldn't actually happen, but I am terrified that I'll lose track of something important at some point.

Ok, at the risk of sounding like the worst mother ever, I forget to feed my kid all the time! When you are nursing, sometimes you just lose track of time or get distracted. With a toddler, you offer, offer, offer and they are always saying "no". Sometimes you get busy and just forget to offer...

• realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    DarkAngel- I'm sorry to hear about your scary experience. I have always gotten the impression that you are a great mother and you adore your son. I think that having kids just kills most of our functioning brain cells. Even if that's not the case lack of sleep and a hectic schedule can definitely contribute.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    MS, Xander and Karan have similar eating habits. I have stopped offering and let him come to me when he wants to eat. It drives me crazy but he seems to get enough food to sustain his active life.

Realistic, thank you so much. I definitely have less brain cells these days. Between that and no sleep some days, I am not sure how I make it out the door fully dressed.

• geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    MS--I have done the same thing--not buckled the infant seat into my car and not buckled Elise into her convertible seat. That moment of realization is just terrible.

DA--I have heard some people put something of their child's in the front seat (in Xander's case, his little back pack?) to remind them. You're a good momma!!!
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    gemini wrote:
    MS--I have done the same thing--not buckled the infant seat into my car and not buckled Elise into her convertible seat. That moment of realization is just terrible.

DA--I have heard some people put something of their child's in the front seat (in Xander's case, his little back pack?) to remind them. You're a good momma!!!

Yes, I've heard suggestions to put a reminder like one of your child's belongings in the front seat. Another idea I've heard is to put something really important of yours, like your purse or your wallet, back with your child.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    I usually put his backpack on the floor with my purse. Even if I hadn't, I think I most likely would have seen him when I reached across the seat to grab my purse. Putting it all in the backseat might be an even better option.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file