3b i think? i am totally lost and need some help

mrwnt10mrwnt10 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello everyone, I'm a teenage guy with curly red hair and though its been tough sometimes, i'm starting to accept that i really do have curly hair, not to mention red

i'm a 3b on top and maybe a 3c on the sides (i hate that) and straighten out in back

anyway i use pantene pro-v sleek and shine shampoo (its all i have) and then i use pantene pro-v hydrating curls conditioner every day. I also just recently started using garnier fructic umm spray gel, firm hold, which helps out A LOT

after reading through the site i found out i am doing a bunch of things wrong, like rubbing my hair dry when i get out of the shower, and shampooing every day, and touching it when its drying

My first question is are there any suggestions? Anything I should be doing? (don't hesitate to tell me things you think are elementary, i probaly don't knwo them anyway)

my second question is is there any way to loosen my curls, i would really like more of a tousled look and get away from the afro, one big blob look

***my picture was here. I didn't want my face up though so I removed it. thanks for everyone's help!***

here's what i would ideally like it to look like, any suggestions? (spare me from pointing out that this guy looks 100x better than me and has a good hair color)

397567677_1a73f05363.jpg

Comments

• keikokkeikok Banned Banned Users Posts: 585
    Hey at least youre more of a strawberry blonde, and you could easily get hair like in that picture. Try some products like devacurl or maybe a gel (you want a gel with LIGHT hold). Also let your hair grow just a little bit longer, and on the sides you should either go shorter or longer than in the picture that you posted.
  • mrwnt10mrwnt10 Registered Users Posts: 4
    thanks a lot, but about the hair on the sides, idk if you can see in the picture, but it is really really curly, like 3c almost 4a. growing it out doesnt seem to loosen in (haha trust me i've tried), but i don't want to buzz it
    I think it looks curlier because its shorter. I think if you let it grow out it would look 3b, definitely not 3c, and I guess you could cut the sides shorter but it sounds like you dont want to.

You could also experiment with products. The guy in the picture you posted clearly uses some sort of leave-in
    leave in conditioner you mean?
    mrwnt10 wrote:
    leave in conditioner you mean?

yep
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    What is your hair texture? Coarse or fine and is it thick or thin? Some products work better or worse depending on those factors. I have fairly thick and coarse hair and find that if I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Jessicurl's Too Shea[/buylink] as a leave in under a gelI have better hair days in the summer. For the winter Shea Moisture Leave in under a gel is a good heavier leave in.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
    i'm not for sure but i'm pretty sure my hair is pretty fine...as for thickness its pretty thick on top cause all the curls just grow into each other, but i keep the sides pretty short so i don't look like a clown and that back is not thick at all, just straight
  • KeeweeKeewee Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Curl Neophyte
    hey your a cutie.... Check out my fotki there are pics of my sons curly hair the most recent he is wearing a suit. He uses deva curl no=poo oneC set it free and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]arc angell[/buylink].. He is a 3b his curls are quite long I think you should try growing urs out to get the look yu want.
    3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
    P/Wmarissa
    http://public.fotki.com/Keewee
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 151
    Hey! Well i hope my tips will help, i'm a guy too and I hated when my hair was shorter and i had that "clown look" haha. First of all that guy in the picture DEFINITELY has some kinda of product in it..i'm guessing gel instead of a leave in conditioner. Here are my suggestions that i've learned through mistakes, I didn't have this site to turn to when I first started to let my curls be.

-Never scrub your hair with a towel, either air dry or diffuse
    -Shampoo your hair twice a week MAX (I would suggest you go CG...but some people get frustrated with it and quit)
    -Conditioner is your best friend! Condition your hair everyday if you can
    -Figure out if either a comb or brush works best with your hair (it's short not so it probably doesn't tangle much, if at all, but comb/brushing helps distribute product through your hair and defines your curls much better than using your fingers. I have the same problem with the sides of my hair being more tightly curly than the rest of my hair and the comb only made it bushier while a brush helped loosen the curls but also made them more defined)
    -Never touch your hair while it's drying
    -NEVERRRRRRRR brush/comb your hair while it's dry(Major breakage!!!) But if you're gonna keep your hair that short then you probably don't have to worry about the breakage
    -I would say..if you want a look like that guy..you would probably have to gel back the sides and then do a messy gel job with your fingers for the top. However, i think his hair was probably more wavy than curly, thats why his curls look looser, gel usually can make hair a little bit curlier than it actually is, so it probably won't look exactly the same

I think you should grow your hair it! It would look great!
    CG Since Nov 2008 and Currently using:
    Co-wash: VO5 strawberries and cream
    Conditioner: Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberries
    Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

Follow Me on Twitter~~~~~>www.twitter.com/CourtneyAllenW
  • thick_n_wavythick_n_wavy Registered Users Posts: 250
    Just a thought...you could try using a pomade and twisting and separating the individual curls on the top to look like that picture.
    2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
    Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
    Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

http://public.fotki.com/thicknwavy/
    Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
  • jam6352jam6352 Registered Users Posts: 99
    You remind me of a my friend patrick...and I LOVED his hair! So love yours too..that's the first step :) Also, if you want it to look like the other guys hair you're gonna need to up the moisture. Which would probably mean cutting out sulfate shampoos and products, starting to wash with conditioners, weekly deep conditioning, and maybe a protein treatment or two to help end breakage (if you have any). Using gels like la bella or la looks should help too...plus they're cheap as hell. Start looking at different people's signatures to see what type of products you may want to try. Happy hunting:)
    Low-Poo: Hairveda's Shampoo Bar
    Co- Wash: Suave Professionals
    Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol
    Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk S/M Cholesterol + honey, EVOO, coconut oil

Moisturizers:
    Hairveda's 3-n-1 Creme & Blended Beauty's Curl Styling Lotion

• runnerchickirunnerchicki Registered Users Posts: 475
    I know this thread is pretty old, but I had to reply ... I LOVE your hair! My mother is a curly redhead, and I was lucky enough to get her curls, but my hair is brown. Blah. I've always been envious of natural redheads. Be proud of that hair! It's gorgeous!!
    FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Registered Users Posts: 896
    mrwnt10 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm a teenage guy with curly red hair and though its been tough sometimes, i'm starting to accept that i really do have curly hair, not to mention red

i'm a 3b on top and maybe a 3c on the sides (i hate that) and straighten out in back

anyway i use pantene pro-v sleek and shine shampoo (its all i have) and then i use pantene pro-v hydrating curls conditioner every day. I also just recently started using garnier fructic umm spray gel, firm hold, which helps out A LOT

after reading through the site i found out i am doing a bunch of things wrong, like rubbing my hair dry when i get out of the shower, and shampooing every day, and touching it when its drying

My first question is are there any suggestions? Anything I should be doing? (don't hesitate to tell me things you think are elementary, i probaly don't knwo them anyway)

my second question is is there any way to loosen my curls, i would really like more of a tousled look and get away from the afro, one big blob look

here's what i would ideally like it to look like, any suggestions? (spare me from pointing out that this guy looks 100x better than me and has a good hair color)

397567677_1a73f05363.jpg

I really like your hair!!! But for your curls' sake, I think I should give you a little advice.

Throw out the shampoo! Pantene, Dove, Suave, Axe, Garnier Fructis and so many more shampoos are full of sulfates. Pantene shampoos definitely have sodium laureth sulfate/ammonium lauryl sulfate. Throw it out, I say!

Throw your conditioner out along with it...I checked the ingredients and it has silicones. A big no-no for curly hair!

By the way, the routine I'm teling you is a method for curly hair (called the CG method, which stands for "curly girl", but it works on guys just as well--it's not just for women). It's basically avoiding sulfates and silicones, and cleaning your hair with light conditioner instead of shampoo. But I'm telling you the routine for mod-CG--you can use shampoo as long as it's sulfate free--and you should avoid products with silicones).

Going CG was the best thing I could've done for my hair...but I think you can pull off the mod-CG routine.

Anyway...like I said, throw out the conditioner! Try a shampoo that doesn't have sulfates, such as Trader Joe's Refresh or Nourish. You could also try a shampoo bar...mostly any shampoo if it doesn't contain sulfates. I wouldn't recommend looking for a sulfate-free shampoo at a drugstore, as most of them have sulfates. If you have a Henry's grocery store nearby, they also have natural, sulfate-free shampoos that you can choose from. And I'm pretty sure Giovanni (a brand that IS available at drugstores) doesn't have sulfates.

As for conditioner, try Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner, which doesn't have silicones. Or any Giovanni conditioner (they have Smooth as Silk, 50/50, the're all good).

Use a microfiber towel instead of a terrycloth towel to dry your hair. It'll soak up water and not cause any frizz.

Hope that helped!
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file