Should we trim regularly?

I haven't read the book (yet). Is it necessary for 4a CG to trim for health/growth? My hair's 1-2 in but I want it to get SL.

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I only trim when my ends start getting rough or when my hair starts to get uneven (one side grows faster and the back can look like a mullet). 2-3 times a year at most.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • TEOGTEOG Posts: 100Registered Users
    I only trim as needed. Since I wear my hair up so much and moisturize regularly, I don't need to trim that much. I haven't cut my hair since my BC in April.
    Coily and cute.

4something-ish
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Posts: 821Registered Users
    I trim every 12 weeks faithfully. I just believe in preventative maintenance, it's also enables me to maintain a decent shape while growing out my hair.
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    with my hair i believe every 3-4 months is plenty...and when it's time for a trim i trim according to the lunar charts...

www.morroccomethod.com/lunar.shtml

:afro:
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Curlilocs wrote:
    I trim every 12 weeks faithfully. I just believe in preventative maintenance, it's also enables me to maintain a decent shape while growing out my hair.

That's another concern...as my hair grows out will it just look ragged if I don't keep it cut? But the last time I went to the barber, I told him to just trim it and taper the bottom to make it look clean. My hair ended up really short! Didn't seem like he took too much off while he was cutting it (not a lot of hair seemed to be falling) but when I looked in the mirror it was very short).

Maybe he's just clipper happy? Maybe a guy barber isn't the one to go to after all?

How do I keep my hair neat but let it grow out?
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i have to trim mine every 6 weeks or so because i get splt ends so quickly. and the longer i wait, the more that has to get cut because theyre so raggedy.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    bump
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    I was trying to go without cutting my hair (last trim was in June) and my ends were super raggety with those pesky knots on the end. So I flat ironed and trimmed this weekend and my hair curls look so much better!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users
    Yes, I think so!

I hate those knots too!!! my last trim was in June, so yesterday i 'attempted' to flat iron (it didn't come out completely straight... i don't know what i'm doing :laughing9: ) and trimmed the ends. My ends feel sooo much better. i still feel a few knot in the back (hard to reach areas), but i can definitely tell a difference. Like Subrock, i think i need regular trims... ever 6-8 weeks
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file