HELP-has anyone done Thermal Reconditioning on damaged hair?

devon00devon00 Registered Users Posts: 6
Has anyone gotten thermal reconditioning (Japanese straightening) done on mildly to moderately damaged hair?

My hair is wavy. I have Feria hair color and also previously used a flat iron (450 degrees!) daily on my hair. This caused a good amount of damage--breakage, split ends and frizz.

I've had several trims since then. The breakage has stopped and the split ends are gone; however, my hair is still frizzy and not as shiny as I would like. I've gotten a consultation for Thermal Reconditioning, and the hairstylist felt that my hair was healthy enough to have it.

Has anyone done T.R. on damaged hair? How were the results. Since straight hair reflects light better will my hair look healthy/shiny afterwards? I figure there is no use getting it if my hair is going to look fried and dull afterwards. However, the uneven waves drive me nuts and I would do anything to have it straight!!

An alternative would be for me to get the Brazilian Keratin treatment, but there are two issues: it is not offered in my city so I would have to travel about 4 hours to get it, and second the treatment is not permanent but washes out.

Comments

• keikokkeikok Banned Banned Users Posts: 585
    I think it will work on damaged hair. It will make your hair look straight so it will look less damaged, because damaged curls tend to look a lot worse because they have very very little shine. So if you get TR your hair will go from curly to straight and you wont have to straighten it anymore. You'll definitely see improvement.
  • devon00devon00 Registered Users Posts: 6
    My hair looks amazing!!!!!! I was beaming from ear to ear when I left the salon. It shines like crazy...I guess because it lays so straight.

I just got it done so I haven't even washed it yet, but so far I'm extremely pleased. I sought out an Asian salon so that I could get a better price ($260 before tip) and a stylist with more experience with the system.

By the way, the TR I got was Liscio.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Congratulations!!! Great price too! How many hours did it take to complete your hair?
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • devon00devon00 Registered Users Posts: 6
    It took only 4 hours because my hair was only wavy, and only even that at the ends. Honestly, the four hours went by pretty quick because for a while I was just sitting there with the chemical in my hair (in other words, I wasn't being worked on at every moment) and I also had some fun reading to keep me entertained. Images posted in this thread:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=111866
    I saw those great pictures of your hair :drunken:

The price seems fair for wavy hair of your length. 4 hours is not bad. I've heard that it can take up to 8 hours!!
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• maria_imaria_i Registered Users Posts: 1,765 Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair looks great!!
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    keikok wrote:
    I think it will work on damaged hair. It will make your hair look straight so it will look less damaged, because damaged curls tend to look a lot worse because they have very very little shine. So if you get TR your hair will go from curly to straight and you wont have to straighten it anymore. You'll definitely see improvement.

All of this is true. TR'ed hair looks a thousand times healthier because of the straightness and baby soft texture. If you work with a very experienced stylist whom you trust, I would recommend it even with damaged hair. You have to disclose everything to your stylist, though. And there are no guarantees with results.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file