using regular conditioner as leave-in?

bouncy1920bouncy1920 Posts: 62Registered Users
ok. I claim to follow the curly girl routine. I bought and read the book. I haven't seen any big time change, but I also haven't seen any significant damage, so that may be proof enough that the process works...

A few questions:

1. how many 4a's leave conditioner in their hair - the thick stuff not the leave-in kind? What is that supposed to do? I mostly use suave naturals and VO5 moisture milks with some occ aveda products. Does anyone have experience using those as leave-ins?

2. Drying time!!! I would love to try to wear my hair out, but part of the problem is that it take sooooooo long for my hair to dry. It seems to take hours before it even stops the embarassing dripping. I can't go out like that. (Shrinkage is another problem, but I'll save that for another day)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• curlynikkicurlynikki Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1. I use to leave in Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple and a VO5 moisture milks, but over time, they seemed to dry out my hair. But, I have heard that many curlies use these as leave-ins without problems. I leave in Trader Joe's Ultra Nourish or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Curl-Quenching-Conditioner-p-372.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-curl-quenching-conditioner]Blended Beauty Curl Quenching Conditioner[/buylink] even though both are rinse-outs.

2. My hair takes nearly 6-8 hours to dry depending on what products I use. I work out in the evening after work and co-wash around 7pm everyday. After I apply products its about 7:45pm and I piddle around the house...cleaning, eating, watching tv, etc. I just make sure that my piddling occurs near a ceiling fan. By the time its my bedtime, my hair is damp but not dripping. I pull it down into a low pony using a claw clip (helps with shrinkage and keeps it from messing up during the night). I sleep under a fan every night (my fiance HATES that) on a satin pillow case, and by morning only the back is slightly damp. I take out the clip, shake, fluff and go :)

hth :afro:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used Robert Craig and John Masters Citrus/Neroli as leave-ins under gels and they work. For drying I use a hood dryer if possible for 35 minutes. If not I air dry. It helps to plop or blot hair and I can do this with certain products.

I co-washed with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink], then blotted with a MF towel. Then applied SheaMoisture+ AV gel as leave-in, then John Masters gel. I then plopped for 5 minutes and then scrunced Set it Free+ a drop of castor oil on my ends. It air dried by 2pm :-D. The less oils/butters I use, the faster it dries.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • MeyerGirlMeyerGirl Posts: 170Registered Users
    Sometimes I use smooth down butter treat by redken as a leave-in conditioner on my ends. Love it. Ends look less frizzy and hair is a bit more under control. Has silicones in it though.
    4a, deep waves and pensprings.
    Boots Pink Curl Creme for sale, Please PM me.
  • Tanta65Tanta65 Posts: 112Registered Users
    curlynikki wrote:
    By the time its my bedtime, my hair is damp but not dripping. I pull it down into a low pony using a claw clip (helps with shrinkage and keeps it from messing up during the night). I sleep under a fan every night (my fiance HATES that) on a satin pillow case, and by morning only the back is slightly damp. I take out the clip, shake, fluff and go :)

Curlyniki if i have to do what you do.....i'd have the flu for a whole year.....lol......either you live in a place with good temp or you have good vitality
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Tantata65 wrote:
    curlynikki wrote:
    By the time its my bedtime, my hair is damp but not dripping. I pull it down into a low pony using a claw clip (helps with shrinkage and keeps it from messing up during the night). I sleep under a fan every night (my fiance HATES that) on a satin pillow case, and by morning only the back is slightly damp. I take out the clip, shake, fluff and go :)

Curlyniki if i have to do what you do.....i'd have the flu for a whole year.....lol......either you live in a place with good temp or you have good vitality

Both :afro:

I do, however, sleep with a heating pad on my feet or a space heater near by :laughing9:
  • Tanta65Tanta65 Posts: 112Registered Users
    curlynikki wrote:
    Both :afro:

I do, however, sleep with a heating pad on my feet or a space heater near by :laughing9:

Imangine i live in cali........in WeHo almost near the beach......for the whole summer west hollywood sun has had a cold heart......and now the sun is playing mind games.....but humidity isn't.......the weather here is just crazy other than where i'm from.........sun most of the time with fresh air blowing on all four sides
  • Fre3siaFre3sia Posts: 21Registered Users
    I've used V05 Blushing Apple as a leave in before. I liked the smell and it did leave my hair moisturized....but I don't remember for how long. I was really impressed with the generic version of Nexxus Humectress, which claims to double as a leave in. A little seems to go a long way.

As for the drippies, I usually plopped. I'd wrap my hair up in an old t-shirt and leave it there for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. In the meantime, I'd go about my usual morning routine and by the time I was done, most times the drippies were gone. I was really happy after I learned about plopping from this site.

That's my experience. Hope it helps.
    4a/4b teeny-tiny spirals
  • TEOGTEOG Posts: 100Registered Users
    I'm currently using Nexxus Humectress as a leave-in. It seems to be working, but I've only been using it for 3 days.

Maybe because my hair is short, but it doesn't take long for my hair to dry. 4-5 hours overnight, tops. I also dry my hair with a microfiber turban, so that probably cuts down on the drying time also.
    Coily and cute.

4something-ish
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
  • taflogtaflog Posts: 130Registered Users
    i use a mixture of biolage cond. balm, tigi honey&oatmeal, pm dt and oil when i cowash and just leave some it in when i rinse. it seems to make my hair softer and define the curls more. i also scrunch most of the water out before applying product so that my hair is damp but not dripping, yuck! it stills takes at least 2 hours to dry but is managable

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file