Kate's avoid-the-frosh-15 food/exercise journal

katethegreatkatethegreat Registered Users Posts: 801
...what I'm going for is more like the freshman -30... :wink:

August 20th, 2007

General Information
I like exercise, but I definitely like food too! Hmm, let's see...I have muscular legs, especially calves. Flabby upper arms and upper thighs, but not dreadful. Problem area: STOMACH!!!!!

Stats
Height: 5'8.5''
Weight: 185 :oops: (I swear that I am not as extremely obese as my height and weight make me sound!! I just ate dinner before I weighed myself, and I'm fairly muscular, so that adds to the number on the stupid scale. Okay, now that I'm done making excuses for myself... :roll: )
Pants size: 14-16, depending on the store/brand...

Food
Breakfast:
-Everything bagel with veggie lite cream cheese
-Orange juice
Ummmm....then I had a bowl of Chex Mix in between breakfast and lunch :oops:
Lunch:
-Half a grilled chicken breast
-Veggies (peas & carrots) mixed with white rice
-Water
Dinner:
-Turkey burger w/ cheese
-A few fries & ketchup
-a chocolate chip cookie
Clearly, my eating habits need the most improvement.

Exercise
I've been doing the Couch-to-5k Running Plan from coolrunning.com for about two weeks now. I'm going by the time goals, not the distance goals.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Today I did week 3, workout 1:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
-Marianne Williamson

Comments

• katethegreatkatethegreat Registered Users Posts: 801
    I'm going to post some "rules", or guidelines, or whatever now.

1. I'll write down my food intake and exercise every day.
    2. I'll weigh myself and write my pants size every week (I guess on Mondays)
    3. I do the 3 day a week couch-to-5k running plan on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. On other days, I'm going to start weight training and occasionally swimming. Plus, I will have my Phys. Ed. class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Yep.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
    -Marianne Williamson
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
    Cool! Welcome to the not-very-hopping fitness board. :) Your food intake doesn't sound too bad to me. One thing I've discovered over the past month or so is that eating several small meals/snacks instead of just three meals makes me eat less (because I'm not starving by dinner) and have more energy. So don't feel too bad about having cereal between breakfast and lunch.

If you're looking to get serious about writing down what you eat, SparkPeople.com is a great site! You can use it in a bunch of different ways. I use it to track what I eat and check my calories, carbs, fiber, fat, and protein, plus I use it to track what cardio and strength training I use. But it also can create meal plans for you (too rigid for me), give you workout plans, and has a lot of message boards. There are several of college students or soon to be college students that might be great for you! :) Plus, it's all free!
    oooh thank you!!!
    -Marianne Williamson
    August 21st, 2007

Food
    Breakfast:
    -Nature Valley Oats and Honey granola bar
    -glass of 2% milk
    Lunch:
    -smoked salmon w/ chive cream cheese and lettuce on sesame bagel (the best cafe in town, what can I say?)
    -a few pretzels
    -two glasses of water
    Mid-afternoon snack:
    -bowl of Life cereal
    -2% milk
    Dinner:
    -a very small helping of mastacioli
    -two pieces of wheat bread w/ margarine
    -glass of iced tea
    -plum
    OOOkay, so more fruits and veggies.

Exercise
    -walked around campus for about an hour (had to find where all my classes are)
    -swam for about 1/2 hour, not very intense though
    -Marianne Williamson
    nvm (moved to sparkpeople.com) :wink:
    -Marianne Williamson
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
    nvm (moved to sparkpeople.com) :wink:

It's addicting, I tell you! :wink: I just wanted to add: good for you for being proactive about not gaining the freshman 15. I started college six years ago (whoa - just realized how long it's been!) and I gained at least 15 pounds if not more because my eating habits were so bad. As long as you learn to choose good foods in the dining hall, try to resist those late-night pizza parties, plus keep any drinking to a moderate level, you should be good! I think my biggest downfalls were french toast every morning and the fact that every night someone on my floor stopped by to see in if I'd want to go in on a pizza/breadsticks/tacos/Chinese/whatever order!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file