Do you color your curls?

Just wondering, how many of you color your hair? I had been bleaching my hair for about 4 or 5 years, and I recently [tried to at least] dyed it back to my natural color. I'm planning on growing it out, but I don't know if I want to highlight or not.

I did the porosity [is that even how you spell that?] test, and when I held my hair underwater it did not return to the surface. It sunk pretty close to the bottom. Does this mean my healthy looking hair really is badly damaged?? Ugh.
Lindsey
BKT'ed
becks.jpg
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    I do highlights and color-- but that is not an option. :)
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • SoLastSunday152SoLastSunday152 Posts: 428Registered Users
    I forgot that! I guess you can just pick all-over color, because that it more drastic than just highlights alone? Drastic isn't really the right word, but you know what I'm getting at....
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I did an all over color about 10 months ago. Even though I like the color(which is like an auburn/red), I can't wait for it to grow out. The last time I had my hair in it's natural color was almost 8 years ago, and I think it looks healthier when darker. I have probably about another 6 inches to chop and I'm there. :)
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Mine's all natural. I haven't colored since the early to mid-90s.
    My roots are only about an inch right now. It seems like it'll be 10 years before it all grows out. :( I'm just praying that the color doesn't fade too much this summer, or I'll most likely end up losing it and coloring again. :?
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
    Wow.. I'm surprised that so many of you color!!
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
  • mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't anymore. It's been about 3 years since mylast color I think. I still have about 2 in of old color left in my hair though. I'll cut it off eventually, but I'm trying to grow my hair longer first.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • BunnyBunny Posts: 93Registered Users
    I love coloring, but my color is pretty natural -- it's a medium to dark brown, while my natural hair color is like dark coffee with no cream (and without the shine).

Although I've done some wild stuff... like adding fire-engine red streaks!!!! That was fun!

I'm also tempted to go auburn one day. But I think I'll always end up coming back to at least a shiny milk chocolate brown.
    My hair type: 3C in the lower back, 3C/4A everywhere else... tons of coils from pencil diameter to watchspring

Album password: curly
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I think I kicked the habit.

I've also done some crazy colors - blonds, reds, pink tips. I'm just afraid of the grey. My current color is a few shades lighter than my real color.
  • GingerCookieGingerCookie Posts: 8Registered Users
    I started going gray at 21 and now at 35 I'm 40-50% gray. Not coloring is just NOT an option! :lol:
    ~GingerCookie
    3B/C, homecolored from dark dishwater blonde to strawberry blonde
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I colored my hair from 12-22. Now I'm growing it out. No heat, no color. I had gotten back to pretty close to my natural color so I'm just dealing with lighter ends (ok, more than just ends but it's kind of a gradient and looks like sun-bleaching... many people think it's natural) so now I just use Aveda Clove conditioner, left on for a while with a cap, to help blend it all together a little more.
    I used to dye every color you can imagine and then some. Then I decided to get closer to natural and grow it out. But I still did all over perm color + highlights and it was all a couple shades lighter than natural. Did that a couple times and then changed to occasional demi-perm color (Natural Instincts) as close to my real color as I could find. But I realized when it faded that it was still lightening my hair a bit. So I stopped and started with the color depositing 'poo & co. Quantum Colors from Sally's first. Then I splurged on Aveda. Since I have stopped 'pooing I am passing the 'poo on to my mom but the Aveda co is sooo great.
    I have a few inches of natural growth now, a couple inches of shlightly lightened by the demi-perm and lighter ends from the perm color and highlights.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    I picked 100% natural.

I had a funky chunk of bright red/pink streaky highlight thing in the front of my hair a couple of years ago ... other than that I haven't colored my hair since high school (when I had jet black, blue, green, magenta, etc. hair depending on the month!)

I like my natural color just fine, and I get some nice reddish natural hightlights going on in summer.

Coloring is so expensive, rarely looks natural, and is such a pain to maintain (especially with hair as dark as mine, and it grows SO fast!) - not to mention the damage! It's just not for me.

:)

M
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• curl goddesscurl goddess Posts: 220Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Im in my 40s and have grays......not alot, but enough to where they are noticed and I dont want to look older than I am. I waited till about 5yrs ago.....then when it got to be more than I could pull out, I started.

I have it professionally done and have been going to an Aveda stylist, using a semi perm....I just have the new growth done to match my natural color. Every so often I have highlights done, but Ive done that only twice.

I never colored before the grays.......
    3a long thick -botticelli hair when there is humidity
    2c wavy w/curls if there isnt.
    currently using Bioterra & KMF in winter
    Jessicurl styling in summer
    Natures Gate poo & condish
    Thank you NC for bringing me back to curly!
  • ILovejuiceboxesILovejuiceboxes Posts: 50Registered Users
    I just have my mom color it for me... She lets me pick the color and do it whenever as long as it's not too often. I have only two reason for dyeing it:
    1. My curls are very unmanagable when they're natural. The chemicals make them easier.
    2. I just don't like it!
    My hair is stubborn. What I thought would help me only resulted in horrible, damaged hair. Straightening my hair is now the only reasonable thing I can do. So, I am no longer CG. Not until my hair gets fixed.
    Goal- Long, shiny locks! Currently shoulder length when curly. Goal is to reach around right below chest area. Wish me luck! :)
  • fuzziestbunnysfuzziestbunnys Posts: 208Registered Users
    i used to dye my hair strawberry blond... i'm naturally blond, but my roots come in light/medium brown now... it's odd.

so every once in a while i'll color my roots...at home

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file