texturize?

thecurlygirlthecurlygirl Registered Users Posts: 30
hi, im new here, just want to say that this is a great community for curly hair, wish I had heard about it earlier :)
I went to a hairsaloon where i live, in stockholm, and wanted to do a straightperm, but the hairdresser said that my hair is to fragile, that it probably, there was a risk, would fall of :S so instead she did a treatment called texturize. It made the curls easier to handle it was said and when she flarironed it afterwards the result was really good. But the result didnt get that good when I tried at home and you have to do it again after 3 months and its exspensive..!
and i have read about this one and only curl remover, im going to london soon and planning a visit to sallys. do you think my hair who isnt recommended a straightperm can handle that without falling off!?
My hair is relaxed 3b curls, I either straighten or curl it =)

Comments

• DunwithitDunwithit Registered Users Posts: 13
    I am not familiar with the two treatments you have mentioned so if I were you I would find out:

Was your texturizer a relaxer (a hydroxyl with sodium/gunadidium or calcium)? Or a thio based perm ? This is extremely important because these two treatments absolutely do not mix. If your first treatment is with a relaxer (lye or no-lye-based hydroxyl) and your second is thio (or perm then relaxer) then you will end up bald immediately or within an astonishingly short period of time. This is a fact. It can not be undone once the treatment is applied.

Also give your hair time to rest between the treatments (at least a month). If your previous stylist said your hair was weak and you are unsure if he or she was correct don't jump into another treatment without going to a reputable person for a second opinion.

Good luck! :)
    I looked around for ideas on how to temporarily straighten hair. The Brazilian Keratin Treatment seems to be growing in popularity and is said to leave hair straight for several months. (If you want your hair to stay straight then just have it redone) Since it essentially stuffs keratin into the cuticle damaged hair is perfect for this application.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=103475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20
    http://www.braziliankeratin.com/
    Please remember I have not had this done nor have seen it first hand so you can take it for what it is worth.
  • thecurlygirlthecurlygirl Registered Users Posts: 30
    thanks for the answers, this brazilian thing sounds good but I live in sweden and cant find anyone doing it here, so..I just have to find something else,
    plus its exspensive what ive heard, but great tip though, if i sometime go to a country that does the treatment, then I can start thinking about it!

Dunwithit: I did this treatment several months ago and you are supposed to do a retouch every third month, and it has been like a year since i last did it and I have only did it one time..Can the product still be in my hair and cause that kind of risk you are talking about??? :S
    Hi Curlygirl,
    For some reason I thought you had given brand names instead of the treatment. *I obviously need more sleep*
    All right. If you had a texturizer before and it was based on a weaker version of normal relaxer components (sodium/calcium or guanidium etc..hydroxide) then you can not go over that with a thio based treatment normally referred to as a "perm". You mention that you had it done "several months ago". But you also say something was done "a year ago". The rule of thumb is if you have not cut off the hair that had been relaxed you can not go over the whole head with thioglycolate. Relaxers don't wear off. Therefore if you want a perm, on hair that has portions of it that had been previously relaxed, my advice would be to cut off the relaxed hair. That is the trouble with chemicals....
    Good Luck!
    Dunwithit
    Hello again Curlygirl,
    Since I am not a licensed stylist (I can only speak from my own experience which unfortunately includes thio over relaxer) I am going to refer you to a salon board that could offer their expertise. Direct a question to Vinnie (Vincent)-
    http://lamasbeauty.com/talk/salon/
    Good luck to you!
    Dunwithit
    I asked the salon were i got my texturize, the product they use is called "lady velvet", i looked it up on the internet, i think it is this one, i am pretty sure!
    http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/lv558.html
    it contains sodium hydroxide (lye), so what kind of product/relaxer should i avoid?
    I am really greatful for your answers!! :D They have helped me alot! :D
    if i have to cut of the relaxed hair i will have to cut of all my hair, though they did the texturize all over my hair......
    if i have to cut of the relaxed hair i will have to cut of all my hair, though they did the texturize all over my hair......
    Hi Curlygirl,
    You mentioned your previous stylist said your hair was too weak. (Was it breaking? Had "see-through" ends?" I am just a bit concerned because if that was the case then perhaps a chemical treatment should have been avoided out right until your hair was in better shape through a series of deep conditioning and trims.

This is where you need to get a second opinion from someone (a professional stylist in a very reputable salon) that can take a look at your hair. I say this because perhaps they can correct your hair with a treatment in the same chemical family (hydroxide not thio) and give you better results. That way you wouldn't have to cut all your hair off. In the meantime deep condition...restructurize (with protein treatments)...deep condition.
    Good luck
    okey, thankyou for your answers! :D
    i will go and se another hairdresser for a second opinion,
    just have to find a good salon..
  • drkncurlydrkncurly Registered Users Posts: 3
    i've decided to grow my hair out in november 2005. i cut my hair to the new growth because i knew that was the only way i would be serious about it. everyone thought i was nuts. i always wanted curly hair, but i wanted looser curls. i had no idea how to achieve that until i met a woman who mentioned a texturizer called Short Looks. i've heard of it, but i had no idea what it entailed. she encouraged me that it was safe and easy to use. it's not as harsh as a perm and you still maintain the integrity of your natural curl. you can purchase it at any beauty supply store. i tried it the next day and loved the results. i like that i still maintain my natural curl pattern eventhough it's slightly released. i use it maybe 3 or 4 times a year if that. my hair is healthier, managable, and more beautiful since i started using a texturizer. i love the versatility in that i can wear it straight, wavy or curly. everyone who see me loves my hair and some people even envy me. what i love the most is that if i choose to stop using a texturizer my hair won't suffer like it did when i stopped using a relaxer.

so to all the ladies that are transitioning and want a new look without going bone straight, i encourage you to consider a texturizer. don't worry about what others may say about your decision. remember, your hair is your hair, not theirs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file