CurlTalk

Starting to hate gel

DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
I have my HG shampoo, rinse out co and leave in co. I even have 2 cream stylers that I use consistently (recoil:year round and boots:fall/winter) but I have yet to find my perfect gel! I probably have half a dozen assorted ones in my cabinet but they don't always give me consistent results. B&A is the most recent one I've been using and it just up and quit on me. Anyone else have this problem?
2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:

Comments

• tschocktschock Posts: 101Registered Users
    Yes, I have this problem also. I've tried so many different gels with inconsistent results and even my beloved tizz no frizz isn't cutting it anymore.

Actually, just today, I used no styling products whatsoever. I did a water-wash and then used a leave-in conditioner, plopped for a while and diffused until almost dry. I am having the best hair day I've had in months!
    2c, thick & coarse
    Inverted curly bob
    Modified CG
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    I definitely do!!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I compare gel to yeast. Whenever you use yeast it never reacts the same way - the weather, humidity, etc all come into play with yeast. Just like gel. Or maybe it's just like curly hair. :laughing9:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    :laughing3:

• susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,366Registered Users
    I use ION spray gel and I've been really happy with it. Spray it into my hand, then apply to my hair and I do like it. Get it at Sally's and they have several versions.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users
    I'm right there with ya. I can't seen to find a gel my hair likes and when I do, it quits working on me or eventually dries out my hair or something. :angryfire: .
    I'm normally a mousse user but like the clumpier curls I get with gel and that it weighs my poofy hair down a bit.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
    *sigh* What is a curl to do?

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've never found a gel yet that works for me. Mousse seems to be the only thing my curls like.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CricketCricket Posts: 205Registered Users
    Starmie wrote:
    I've never found a gel yet that works for me. Mousse seems to be the only thing my curls like.

:idea: What mousse are you using?
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I know exactly what you mean. Seems lately that with my gel, my hair has been holding water like crazy and stays wet and crunchy FOREVER. This morning I pulled out my Abba Weightless Gel, which I hadn't used in a long time. I forgot how much I love this stuff. It was still crunchy but it didn't seem so OBVIOUSLY wet for so long and I've got great hair today. I don't know why I keep switching around when I really like something. Too much gel seeping into the brain, I guess. :cyclopsani:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LOL! I have Abba WG in my cabinet. I might have to try that tomorrow! I've been thinking about it but haven't been brave enough lol

• funnybean14funnybean14 Posts: 58Registered Users
    I hate spending money on my hair, but I found a gel I actually like. It is Loreal Studio Ligh Headed Melting Gel (a non-hardening gel with a strong hold). I don't use a lot but it seems to work. And unlike some die hard CG's, I spray a bit of Aussie Sprunch on bad weather days.
    The image “[url]http://a362.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/90/m_f2e574d1690e0c1a6004c744ff377b99.jpg”[/url]
    3A/3B I think...
    Modified CG: cowash Suave Berry Smoothie or Toasted Vanilla, cond TRESemme Vitamin E Moisture rich (I leave some in), Loreal Studio melting gel, Aussie sprunch to finish
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    I have never found a gel that didn't make my hair crunchy and dry feeling. Or look like it's wet. I like the light feeling of mousse but the hold doesn't last throughout the day. Any happy medium?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cricket wrote:
    Starmie wrote:

:idea: What mousse are you using?
    Sorry, not been on here for a while. Atm I'm using Alfaparf semi di lino firm hold which I think is the nearest I've come to an HG. I also use PM's sculpting foam and Joiwhip with good results too.
    3b in South Australia.
    Doodles wrote:
    LOL! I have Abba WG in my cabinet. I might have to try that tomorrow! I've been thinking about it but haven't been brave enough lol

So, did you try it yet?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    msgiblet wrote:
    Doodles wrote:

So, did you try it yet?

No, I completely forgot!! :oops: Thanks for the reminder! ;) I'll make a point to use it tomorrow. Are you still using it?

• pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    Doodles wrote:
    msgiblet wrote:
    Doodles wrote:

So, did you try it yet?

No, I completely forgot!! :oops: Thanks for the reminder! ;) I'll make a point to use it tomorrow. Are you still using it?

I love AWG! I've been reading a lot about HEBE and even bought a tube, but I'm getting such great results with AWG that I'm afraid to switch or try something new.
    It took me FOREVER to find my first bottle of AWG. I'm still using that first bottle and I'm so afraid that when it comes time to finally buy more, I won't be able to find it again. I guess thats when the internet really comes in handy! :laughing6:

Doodles wrote:
    It took me FOREVER to find my first bottle of AWG. I'm still using that first bottle and I'm so afraid that when it comes time to finally buy more, I won't be able to find it again. I guess thats when the internet really comes in handy! :laughing6:

If you have an Ulta near you, they carry it and still have it in stock 'cus I bought another bottle this past weekend. First product yet so far that I've almost completely used up and actually wanted to go out and replace before it's all gone! :cat:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doodles wrote:
    msgiblet wrote:
    Doodles wrote:

So, did you try it yet?

I am still using it, as well as Fuzzy Duck and Mop Top. I really should stick to one, but I keep finding myself switching around too much. I should really make up my mind! :roll:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks msgiblet for the tip. I did a location search on Ulta's website and unfortunetly, the closest one would be either Rhode Island or New York. I'm in Maine so thats not very convenient. lol

I used Abba WG today and I think I prefer recoil or Boots. I forgot why I stopped using it...makes my hair feel dry, even with a leave-in. Oh well, was worth a shot!

Doodles wrote:
    Thanks msgiblet for the tip. I did a location search on Ulta's website and unfortunetly, the closest one would be either Rhode Island or New York. I'm in Maine so thats not very convenient. lol

I used Abba WG today and I think I prefer recoil or Boots. I forgot why I stopped using it...makes my hair feel dry, even with a leave-in. Oh well, was worth a shot!

Always worth a shot! This morning I used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] under my AWG and I've got pretty soft curls.

Yeah, Maine to RI or NY would be quite the road trip -- even for hair products! :laughing9:

Question for you -- how would you compare [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] to boots (do you use the pink one?) I've never tried the Boots but am thinking about ordering some.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I have never found a gel that didn't make my hair crunchy and dry feeling. Or look like it's wet. I like the light feeling of mousse but the hold doesn't last throughout the day. Any happy medium?

Thats what I use to think also. After my hair is dry - and I have hard stiff wet looking curls all over sticking out of my head, I use a t-shirt or paper towels, flip my head over and scrunch my curls (using shirt or paper towels over my hands). They transform into soft curls.

I also always mix a creme or leave in condish with my gel.

Give it a try - you may be surprised : )
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote:
    Doodles wrote:

Always worth a shot! This morning I used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] under my AWG and I've got pretty soft curls.

This also how I use AWG. But I use a leave-in before [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink]. I have to admit I didn't like AWG when I first tried it. Once I figured out how much to apply I've had great results. It does dry crunchy. I scrunch the crunch with SIF.
    msgiblet wrote:
    Doodles wrote:

Yeah, Maine to RI or NY would be quite the road trip -- even for hair products! :laughing9:

Question for you -- how would you compare [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] to boots (do you use the pink one?) I've never tried the Boots but am thinking about ordering some.

Yep, I use the pink one. Well, I would say that Boots is more moisturizing. I never have to use a leave-in with it. It helps with clumping and (for me) volume. Its also not as curl enhancing as recoil. I've been hooked on it since finding this site, back when they still sold it on CurlMart. I hope that helps some!