CurlTalk

Side Dish / Dessert for Baby Shower

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Dabbler
I am heading to a baby shower this weekend for my neighbor and on the invite the hostess stated we could bring a healthy / low sugar item to the shower.. since the mom to be has gestational diabetes...

I could bring a fruit salad.. but I think that's going to be a given

the shower is in the evening (which I have never heard of)

any other ideas??

~d
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    How about some cheese and whole grain crackers? Fruit isn't really low sugar anyway.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    cool idea.... anyone else??
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I think I would stay away from sweet altogether. Maybe a dip? I'm thinking hummus and pita bread or spinach artichoke dip in a bread bowl.
    I think I would stay away from sweet altogether. Maybe a dip? I'm thinking hummus and pita bread or spinach artichoke dip in a bread bowl.

cool! Can I get the spinach/artichoke dip already made?
    deedles wrote:

cool! Can I get the spinach/artichoke dip already made?

My grocery store sells pre-made ones in the deli section, but they're not as good as mine. ;) Or you could really cheat and get the frozen Friday's appetizer one. That one is really good!

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    My grocery store sells pre-made ones in the deli section, but they're not as good as mine. ;) Or you could really cheat and get the frozen Friday's appetizer one. That one is really good!

Yeah- they are good. So are Schwan's. Okay, actually any Spinach Artichoke dip is great. How do you make yours???

Oh, what about a veggie tray? Or a relish tray? Sugar free Jello Jigglers cut into baby shapes?
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    shelli wrote:
    Sugar free Jello Jigglers cut into baby shapes?

This is a very cute idea!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    If you want to go the hummus/dip route and you have a Trader Joes by you, they have fabulous pre-made hummus and all sorts of dips. And interesting crackers and stuff to dip!

Shelli - Love the jello idea!
    There is a trader joes not to far from me.. now that's an idea

~d
    shelli wrote:
    Okay, actually any Spinach Artichoke dip is great. How do you make yours???

Very easy! A package of frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed), a package of cream cheese, and lots of mozarella cheese. Mix together, season, microwave until melty and hot. Can add a chopped tomato after microwaving. You could probably add artichokes too, but I'm happy with just spinach. It's very yummy, but I don't think it qualifies as healthy. I use a lot of cheese. ;)

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,778Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Spinach dip is so easy!

Pkg of frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
    Container of sour cream
    Pkg Knorr vegetable soup mix (make sure it's not the one with noodles)

Mix all together and let sit at least over night. I also throw in about a cup of shredded mozzarella if I'm serving it warm.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    No suggestions...just wanted to say this thread is making me hungry!!!