CurlTalk

Do you follow the CG routine or a modified version of it?

Question for you who follow some version of the CG routine:

I noticed that many of you responded that did not use conditioner or did not leave in a moisturizer before you found out about Ouidad, Lorraine Massey's routine, or NC.com. Why?

Also, assuming that you are more aware of your hair (and how can you not after spending at least 5 minutes on this board), what do you think kept you from having beautiful curly hair when you were younger?

I think *part* of it may have to do with how our mothers (or fathers) taught us to care for our hair and their attitudes towards curls. So what do you think?

I will go first. My mom has curly hair and thought curls were sexy (that is why my parents made me wear braids until I was 10 :? ) but always wanted straight hair because she loves the sleekness and length you can see with it. However, she (and my dad) knew how to care for curly hair and we always did a modified version of the modern CG routine. Even when I relaxed, I treated my hair as if it were still curly. I had healthy beautiful hair then, okay hair when I was a teenager and relaxing, and now I not only have healthy beautiful hair thanks to LM and NC.com I accept my curls :P . The only things I learned new were to understand what the purpose of each cosmetic ingredient and what it does to my hair and how to listen to my hair instead of smothering it into submission.

So let me know what you curly girls think?

Oh, and if no one answers I will have to delete this thread to save myself from embarrassment like a certain someone on this message board :lol: .

ETA: I did not realize you could not choose more than one option so instead of choosing "Yes" or "No" please choose one of the other options. If you choose "Yes" or "No" please post your additional comments here. Sorry about the confusion for this is my first poll :oops:.

TIA :P
We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I'll save you from embarassment Cehua!!!
    CG is nothing new to me ( as the AHS shows!)
    I always shampooed 1x a week or less, always left in moisturizer/oil, started leaving conditioner in years ago, always used gentle shampoos, stayed away from alcohol in products years ago, ditched gel, mousse and hairspray years ago.

My mama is a 4b and always took care of her hair, but she does like a straight look. I had beautiful, healthy, long hair as a child but almost always wore it straight. When I went natural at 16, it was like learning to do a whole new head of hair and so I taught myself and figured out how to get healthy hair on my own.

And a lot of the so-called "bad" CG stuff is good in my hair, which I've found out through trial and error. You just have to know your hair.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    Awww thanks Amneris. Well, I guess no one else is interested in fulfilling my curiosity...... :lol:

br-flag1.gif
    cehua wrote:
    Awww thanks Amneris. Well, I guess no one else is interested in fulfilling my curiosity...... :lol:

so are you gonna delete your post?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    cehua wrote:

Heheh, has it gotten embarrassing? I will delete it if you delete your answers :wink: :lol: .

br-flag1.gif
    cehua wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    cehua wrote:

Heheh, has it gotten embarrassing? I will delete it if you delete your answers :wink: :lol: .

but you have to be suicidal first...

.png

534Pm5.png

Why don't I just change it to a "How are you wearing your hair right now" poll. Will that save me :oops: :lol:

br-flag1.gif
  • maricurlmaricurl Posts: 59Registered Users
    ok, i TRIED to vote, but i couldn't seem to vote for both 'no' and 'If no, did your mom have straight hair, treated her curly hair like it was straight, or thought all curls were frizz?'

as a kid under 10 my hair looked ok. my mom tried. i think all she did was basically wash it and then brush it out. then i started with the setting it on rollers to straighten it out, the relaxing, etc, etc. the style was straight--even people with straight hair would iron (and i mean with an iron for ironing your clothes) their hair to get it straighter., curly hair in my family is not really accepted, even now.

i don't care. i was always the rebel anyway!
    3c
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    cehua wrote:
    Oh, and if no one answers I will have to delete this thread to save myself from embarrassment like a certain someone on this message board :lol: .

:?:

Oh come now, don't hold back & keep people in the dark. Just come out with it already.

:!:
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    don't delete. my mom had STRAIGHT thin hair and adored my curls. she only washed once a week tho, as washing her hair was a PROJECT. she felt she had to stay home all night and wash her hair. I was a wash and go girl--never blow dried after high school when i tried to go straight, but after HS i was a hippie and let it frizz, but washed it almost every day--it is new now to wash it hardly ever but i do cowash every day bc i swim
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
    Thanks for answering. For a moment, I was embarrassed because I thought that it was a dumb question :oops: .

This is my first poll so I was not sure how it worked. I did not realize that you could not vote Yes or No and then comment. So Curlies just post your comments.

I just wanted to know if most people who see the CG routine as a new concept had moms with straight hair/wore their hair straight and no one taught them the value of moisturizing before.

And LibbyLiz, I am not going to name names…..we all know who she is :wink: .

br-flag1.gif
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    cehua wrote:
    And LibbyLiz, I am not going to name names…..we all know who she is :wink: .

Do we?
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    My mom has curly hair, but her hair is so ringlet-y and springy that she doesn't have to do much w/ it. Most of what I learned about hair I found out or taught myself. Up until NC.com, and CG, I washed my hair DAILY - at least. Sometimes twice a day. And I never looked at the ingredients in my hair products. However, as far as combing or brushing and moisturizing....I did all of that.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I had very slight waves in my hair all of my life. I actually used to get perms to have curly hair and then one day I realized that either my last perm had lasted for about 4 years or it was now natural.

I always used pretty decent products and washed every other day but conditioned everyday. I used gel and mostly air dried like I do now. If I blew it dry I used a diffuser.

The only thing that's changed is I use even better products now, wash less often and with sulfate free shampoos and do DT's more often. I did used to get split ends sometimes and I haven't had any now since I found nc.com.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    cehua wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    cehua wrote:

Honestly, I know where it's coming from, but is this really necessary?
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

Please tell us about your hair Mayim. Your pictures you posted look great. Has your hair always looked that way? Did your mom (or dad) treat your loose curls like curls or like straight hair when you were little? I really want to know if my hypothesis is correct or not. Like most things on this board it is educainment :wink: .

TIA :P

br-flag1.gif
    maricurl wrote:
    A good thing you are because you have hair too beautiful to hide!

br-flag1.gif
  • maricurlmaricurl Posts: 59Registered Users
    cehua wrote:
    maricurl wrote:

thank you sweetie! (can i call you sweetie? you won't be offended or think i'm being condescending? :wink: ) that was very nice of you to say. i've had an awful day and it made me feel good to get a compliment.
    3c
    mayim wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    cehua wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    cehua wrote:

Honestly, I know where it's coming from, but is this really necessary?

sorry....

.png

534Pm5.png

maricurl wrote:
    cehua wrote:
    maricurl wrote:

thank you sweetie! (can i call you sweetie? you won't be offended or think i'm being condescending? :wink: ) that was very nice of you to say. i've had an awful day and it made me feel good to get a compliment.

I am so scared to call anyone that on this board now.... isn't that sad, that a beautiful nickname is a bad thing. Oh well...

.png

534Pm5.png

Another thing... I wonder if people's hair changes that drastically on new products/routines whatever, or if they had nice hair to start with. Like, does someone on CG, or someone using Pink lotion, or someone with a texturizer or whatever have nice hair because of that or just have nice hair, and when people are looking at them thinking, I need to CG, or use those products, so I can get that look, it's just their natural hair?
    Honestly as long as my hair is healthy, it doesn't change that much no matter what I do (damage excepted), but the way *I* look at it changes. I think my hair as a teenager wasn't that different and looked great and I sure wasn't spending the money or time I do now. I kind of think with hair you get what you get and your job is to accept it and take care of it whatever way you feel is best, CG, non CG or whatever.

.png

534Pm5.png

• anonnymouseanonnymouse Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    My mom has straight hair, and never knew how to care for curly hair. My hair was kept short when I was young, because my mom just never knew what to do with it. She BRUSHED it. When I was a teenager, layered and feathered hair was the style, so I blew dry my hair sort-of straight (heaven help me if it rained!) and feathered, even through my twenties. It's only been about 6 years or so since I began letting my layers grow out and learned how to use the right kind of products to style and encourage my curls instead of fighting them. I've always had very dry hair, and since starting the CG routine over a year ago, the condition has improved a great deal.
    7931.gif7932.gif7933.gifUntitled-vi.png
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    In response to Amneris: You're probably right. We all started out w/ good hair to begin w/, but we thought we could make it better. So we started assasinating our hair by using product after product trying to improve it. Then the products themselves wreak havoc on our hair, and we go out and buy more to try to fix it. It's a vicious circle. Now we'd probably all give anything to have to hair we had 5 or 10 years ago!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • sherizzsherizz Posts: 29Registered Users
    my hair has only got better from using good nice products. Even when i was a child it didnt look good at all...then at my younger youth I started to color cut, and 1 year ago I did my first highlights (bleaching few parts of hair), first and last one EVER. That made my hair no good, 1 month ago I had a bad terrible razor thinning cut (took away all my curls) today, thanks to CG (lowpoo, Elucence=changing out my old products with alcohol, bad silicones etc)) my hair is feeling nice and starting to be healthy...although my last cut itsnt all well...but I need for it to grow few more months to get it fixed. After that I think it will be good.
    sherizz wrote:
    although my last cut itsnt all well...but I need for it to grow few more months to get it fixed. After that I think it will be good.
    You could fix it yourself. That is what I did after I got a bad "texturizing" cut. I bought hair scissors and cut about a 1/4 and inch from each individual curl where the next curl was about to form. It looks *so* much better.

By the way, love your sig :wink: .

br-flag1.gif
    cehua wrote:
    sherizz wrote:
    although my last cut itsnt all well...but I need for it to grow few more months to get it fixed. After that I think it will be good.
    You could fix it yourself. That is what I did after I got a bad "texturizing" cut. I bought hair scissors and cut about a 1/4 and inch from each individual curl where the next curl was about to form. It looks *so* much better.

By the way, love your sig :wink: .

I like the sig too...

.png

534Pm5.png

• KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    My mom has the same hair type as mine. In fact we have "the same" hair. She doesn't like hers long though. Not even as a child. Her mother put a bow in her long hair and sent her off to school. She took the bow away as soon as she was out of site. :wink:

She has always worn her hair short and she likes to color it lots. It's been red, really dark brown and blond. Well, she usually does those foil highlights these days. Anyways. She loves shampoo. I can't get her to try a sulfate free shampoo either. She is in Sweden though, so I guess I am too far away to really make her try something. I am actually thinking about buying some Creme of Nature shampoo and send it to her. If the HCC wasn't so spendy I would send that too. :P She never uses conditioner either. Makes her hair too soft she says. :roll: :wink: :wink:
    My darling mom. :) :wink:

Well, so I am on modified CG I guess. At least on a sulfate free routine and I stay away from heavy silicones and heavy oils.
    And I HATE having short hair. I have nightmares about having my hair cut off. I had short hair when I was a teenager and I felt like a guy. :shock: :( :sad:sad20gif

• ladykejladykej Posts: 54Registered Users
    Both my parents have curly hair (what some in my culture would call "straight" hair, but really somewhere in the 3's range). When I was little, my mom had long, one-length hair between BSL and waist-length, very pretty, but always straightened. I don't think I've ever seen her wear her hair naturally curly! I think that she and her sisters grew up treating their hair as if it were 4a or b, using strong relaxers and lots of heat, and my sister and I were raised like that too. Curls were something to get rid of, moisture was a bad thing, straight was good. But for the guys in the family (Dad and two brothers)--or for guys in general--curly is good and desirable (???) At my Aunt's house, there is an old, old photograph on the wall of her and my mom when they were age 3 and 4. My grandmother explained that just before this picture, she had burnt off my Aunt's bangs with the pressing comb! At age 3?!?!

I now embrace my curls because they are pretty and because God gave me curly hair, not straight hair, and because I just plain got sick of fighting with my hair every day to make it something it's not! The posts I read here have helped tremendously with that process. So **thanks!!!** :grouphug:grouphug.gif
    3c/3b, fine-med strands, dry and porous, cottony/silky mix My goal: healthy, BSL curls.
    My hair journal:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.longhaircommunity.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D18289" class="Popup
  • petitfoxpetitfox Posts: 128Registered Users
    my dad was really cute when I was young and took "care of my hair" by brushing it and drying it, and putting it up in a nice sleek poney tail, or braids...
    Unfortunately, he didn't teach me how to take care of my waves and curls, so when I hit my teen years and I was on my own, I fried my mane with drying alcohols, mousse, gels, hair dryer, everything.

My sister has straight hair, and of course was of no help (actually, quite the opposite) and my mom has very coarse curly hair, and was really working way too much to even notice my struggle with my hair. She wore hers really short. Now, she has it quite long, blowdries it big time, and wishes that it would look like my sister's.

I wish I could talk to her about CG, but I know better than to do that. If she is curious about how I take care of my hair, she'll ask. "suggesting" anything to my family requires too much diplomacy!! :)
    I mentionned once that I didn't use shampoo, and all of their eyes opened so big, and my sister was SO chocked and SO disgusted, that I told myself, no more....... :?
    2C-3A. PW: on request
    Love:Jessicurl WDT+Too Shea, Coconut Oil, Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo, BRHG and Curls Rock Creme.