CurlTalk

Question about Flyaways/Dry Hair

It seems that when I don't shampoo or put conditioner or stay in conditioner in my hair, my hair becomes extremely frizzy and its dry. I then have all these random hairs poking out that I can just like pull out. But when I condition it or putt stay it, my curls form perfectly and I cannot pull out anything. What is the reasoning for this?

4ou8heb.jpg

Thats my hair when its dry. If you see, you can notice those random hairs poking out. What could I do to make my hair more compact. Like I wouldnt have all these unformed curls. I think I do not have enough oil in my scalp? Also how could I make my hair look the best possible?

Thanks a lot. Oh Yeah I am a guy.

Comments

• jedimindtricksjedimindtricks Posts: 260Registered Users
    anyone want to help...
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    Whatever you're using could be drying out your hair.. Take a look around here. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewforum.php?f=7
    3b-3c CG
    I am using Kerastase Hair shampoo as a prewash and Revita shampoo as my regular shampoo. I was wondering if using Revita is bad? i am using it to prevent balding. i am not balding at all right now, but I have been using it for 4-5 months and onwards incase and a preventive method for balding.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.divineskin.com%2Frevita%2Fdefault.asp" class="Popup

I am unsure if this is bad for my hair, since its curly and dry?
    Sorry, I know nothing about balding, but I know that curly hair needs it's moisture and two shampoos is more than enough. Shampoos can have harsh detergents that strip the hair and dry it out. Conditioner is key to keeping it healthy, especially after shampooing- twice. I suggest that you skip the extra shampoo if you want those flyaways to settle down.
    3b-3c CG
    JuicyTube wrote:
    Sorry, I know nothing about balding, but I know that curly hair needs it's moisture and two shampoos is more than enough. Shampoos can have harsh detergents that strip the hair and dry it out. Conditioner is key to keeping it healthy, especially after shampooing- twice. I suggest that you skip the extra shampoo if you want those flyaways to settle down.

So I should condition everyday? I only shampoo around 2-3 times per week. I havent been conditioning lately, just shampooing.

Are those hairs in my picture flyaways or frizz or what? The ones that are like seperated from my curls.
  • LeeLee182LeeLee182 Posts: 784Registered Users
    So I should condition everyday? I only shampoo around 2-3 times per week. I havent been conditioning lately, just shampooing.

Are those hairs in my picture flyaways or frizz or what? The ones that are like seperated from my curls.

Ahh well there's the issue right there, conditioning everday is the key especially on shampoo day. Shampoo strips your hair of natural oils and you're not replenishing any of the lost moisture in your hair. Juicytube was right about the harsh detergents in shampoo, so you should def. skip the extra poo or the poo at all until your hair can recover from the shock of all the poo'ing.

So yes, condition everyday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *Blue Curls Don't Care!*

iHerb $5 off Code: HIV320
    KY is for inferior b*tches. -Keeny*

My YouTube Channel ~ /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FCurleeDrugz" class="Popup

Blog:/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnorehabneeded.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    It seems that when I don't shampoo or put conditioner or stay in conditioner in my hair, my hair becomes extremely frizzy and its dry. I then have all these random hairs poking out that I can just like pull out. But when I condition it or putt stay it, my curls form perfectly and I cannot pull out anything. What is the reasoning for this?

4ou8heb.jpg

Thats my hair when its dry. If you see, you can notice those random hairs poking out. What could I do to make my hair more compact. Like I wouldnt have all these unformed curls. I think I do not have enough oil in my scalp? Also how could I make my hair look the best possible?

Thanks a lot. Oh Yeah I am a guy.

if you showed a picture of the sides, the front, or the back I might be able to see the problem better. usually the top doesnt show much except the part, although i understand that your hair is short (mine is too), the flyaways are really obvious from different angles
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fkeikok%2F" class="Popup
    password:curly
    62nsqh3.jpg

4kao40p.jpg

Those are my pics from the front.

Can you see how one day its completely different from the other? I didnt use any product or anything, it just becomes different daily.
    I conditioned today with Phytobaulm, I dont know if any of you have heard of it, but it was impossible to rinse out.
  • curlgurl84curlgurl84 Posts: 1Registered Users
    hmm you could put some stay in conditioner everyday? I dont know, you should get advice from the experienced posters here.

Those are flyaways I think, or frizz
    I actually dont think you need to condition anymore, in fact to avoid build up...I wouldnt.
    When your hair is drying make sure you dont touch it AT ALL, because this could be what is causing the fly aways
    Keiko

keikok wrote:
    I actually dont think you need to condition anymore, in fact to avoid build up...I wouldnt.
    When your hair is drying make sure you dont touch it AT ALL, because this could be what is causing the fly aways

Wait, what? I shouldn't Condition? Why not?

So I just get out of the shower and just let my hair dry without rubbing it with a towel. Just air-dry? So those hairs poking out everywhere are frizz or flyaways?
    keikok wrote:

So I just get out of the shower and just let my hair dry without rubbing it with a towel. Just air-dry? So those hairs poking out everywhere are frizz or flyaways?
    I don't know why she said don't condition, because every curly should.

Rubbing your hair with a towel will roughen up the cuticle and promote frizz. Air drying would be the better option. I don't know if it's frizz, flyaways, or just hair. I think your hair is cute! Your hair will be in overall better condition if you start ..conditioning. =]
    3b-3c CG
    keikok wrote:

condition if your hair feels dry. If its not dry, I dont see why would need to condition it, at least not everyday.
    Towel drying is find, just dont touch your hair after that.
    Keiko

keikok wrote:
    keikok wrote:

condition if your hair feels dry. If its not dry, I dont see why would need to condition it, at least not everyday.
    Towel drying is find, just dont touch your hair after that.

Alright. I do not think my hair produces enough Sebum though, because unless I sweat or put stay in conditioner in my hair, my curls are not formed. They are frizzy and unformed and annoying.I also am able to pull random hairs out, and I shed However, when I put stay-in conditioner or sweat, my hair has curls that form perfectly. What can be done?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am just trying to figure out how to make my hair healthy and look good.
  • missy60missy60 Posts: 351Registered Users
    When you are using the towel your not scrubbing it around on your head are you? YOu could sort of blot the water out of your hair. Definately use conditioner everytime you wet your hair regardless if you use shampoo or not. If you have good curls with the leavin conditioner then keep using it. I use leave in also all the time and it helps with the frizz and fly aways.
  • DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users
    If you're using a regular terry towel - that could give you frizzies. And don't, repeat - don't ever rub or scrub your head with the terry towel. If you can, get a microfiber towel (bed bath and beyond carry them) and gently blot the excess water out by scrunching with the towel.
    I'm having issues right now with fly aways, dryness and frizz :(
    What kind of climate do you live in? Any humidity? that can have alot to do with it too.
    I would condish but also read the ingredients. some people will get extremely dry hair using anything with protein in it. And stay clear of some of the bad cones. Alot of homework to do :)
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
    Darby wrote:
    If you're using a regular terry towel - that could give you frizzies. And don't, repeat - don't ever rub or scrub your head with the terry towel. If you can, get a microfiber towel (bed bath and beyond carry them) and gently blot the excess water out by scrunching with the towel.
    I'm having issues right now with fly aways, dryness and frizz :(
    What kind of climate do you live in? Any humidity? that can have alot to do with it too.
    I would condish but also read the ingredients. some people will get extremely dry hair using anything with protein in it. And stay clear of some of the bad cones. Alot of homework to do :)

I live in the DC Area. Its like 90-95 degrees right now. So I should never rub it with a towel. Should i just pat it or let it just air dry once i get out?
    Right - don't rub with towel. You can pat dry or better yet.... take your towel and just squeeze or scrunch water out.

hmm well I just took a shower and I havent even touched it. Its all wet and i am waiting for it air dry. Is this the best way to go? To just let it air dry?
    it all depends on your hair. Try it and see what happens. Alot of people diffuse dry to enhance curl but alot get better results air drying. It's a trial and error thing

• RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    Jedi,

Have you read the "sticky" thread at the very top of the "Going Shampoo-less" board? I think that will help you out a lot with your questions. You're getting some conflicting opinions here and different things work and don't work for different people, but I feel pretty sure that the great majority of curly and wavy people on these forums would tell you that they have to use conditioner every time they wet their hair. Most of us actually wash our hair with conditioner instead of using shampoo, then we do a "regular" conditioning, then we use a leave-in condition, and lots of us do a deep conditioning treatment every week or so.

I don't know what ingredients are in your products, but after reading the "Going Shampoo-less" info, if you want to try going "CG" or "no-poo" or even modified CG to help improve your hair's condition, you will need to see what's in your shampoo and conditioner and if you should switch products.

I think your curls are really cute! And they look healthy and shiny. We all battle frizz. And yes, I can see the difference between the two pictures, but one thing most of us agree on here is that our hair looks different almost every day--and sometimes every hour! The unpredictability & the surprises are some of the fun aspects of having curly or wavy hair. And then there are some days when it's not so much fun. :wink:

I highly recommend you spend some time just scanning threads on the various forums -- you'll get so much great information. There are also some good articles in the "Curls 411" and the "Articles" sections of NC, too.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    yeah I trim it every 3 week or get it cut short, but it just grows right back in 3-4 weeks
    JuicyTube wrote:
    keikok wrote:

I don't know why she said don't condition, because every curly should.

Rubbing your hair with a towel will roughen up the cuticle and promote frizz. Air drying would be the better option. I don't know if it's frizz, flyaways, or just hair. I think your hair is cute! Your hair will be in overall better condition if you start ..conditioning. =]

I only suggested not using conditioner for a little while to avoid build up. I do think most curlies need to use conditioner for healthy hair but i think that sometimes its good to give your hair a break from chemicals (an all natural conditioner like shea butter would be fine)
    Keiko