MAKE-UP ARTISTS: I HAVE QUESTIONS!

subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
as anyone here a makeup artist because i have some questions about how to break into the industry.

thanks in advance

Comments

• loosecurlsloosecurls Registered Users Posts: 637
    13 yrs in the industry! Ask away!
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    how do you "break into" the industry?

i really want to be a make up artist but im not sure where to start :?
    I was a makeup junkie & got to know the Lancome counter manager very well. She knew I wasn't happy w/ my job & told me she was leaving when her baby was born. I applied & got the job based on the fact that I knew the line fairly wel & had a good management background.

I had to learn makeup artistry, what to put where & why, color theory, & how very important it is to see the color on someone rather than just saying "oh, you're a fair skinned blonde w/ blue eyes, you should wear X" I had my friends come in for makeovers all the time to practice on friendly faces!

Fast forward to 2000 I had left Lancome & was working for PX (after spending time w/ Lauder & Origins) & found out that Lauder was putting together a regional makeup artist team for New England. I let the right people know I was interested & became part of the team. It was a blast & I got to work w/ some really great people.

I've done local fashion shows (both in MA & GA), tons of brides & formals, portrait stuff & a couple pagent girls. It's fun work & depending on where you live you can work as much or as little as you like. Your rate of pay varies by your experience & where you live.

What type of experience do you have w/ makeup other than just wearing it & playing w/ it w/ your friends? Some companies like to have people start fresh so they can teach them their "way" whereas others prefer you to have some experience. An interview w/ Mac requires you to bring a model & do an application on her. They're looking at your technique, use of color & interestingly enough whether you know which brush to use for what purpose.

A lot of jobs get filled because you know the right person. People tend to hire those they know & whose work they know. When I relocated from MA to GA I had great recommendations from my boss & her boss but still had to prove myself. Starting over can be a major pain!

Let me know what other ???'s I can answer for you!

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
    so the makeup counter you 1st worked for taught you specifics?

i love makeup, im great at applying it on myself, but i really dont have any experience working with people who have darker skin than me. so would the product line you work for teach you about foundations and things and how to match them on other people?
    When you start with any line they send you to what is generally referred to as "basic" school/seminar. You learn the philosophy & history of the company, product info & stuff like image & expectations.

Depending on what co. you're working for you'll generally go to fall & spring seminars that are refreshers in the way of product knowledge, introductions to seasonal color stories & new products.

Again, depending on what co. you're working for & what your job is you'll be invited to specific schools on makeup artistry.

A lot of your skills are learned by actually applying product to another person's face. You can only learn so much by being told how to do it in a seminar. Some people have a good eye for "reading" undertones in people's skin---others dont.

Creativity is a must for the job as is listening. If you can't listen to what your client/customer is telling you forget it. There's a famous story about the late Kevyn Aucoin & Tina Turner. If memory serves correct it goes something like this: KA was doing TT's makeup for a shoot & wanted to take her out of her signature red lipstick. Somewhat of a battle ensued & long story short KA learned a lesson about people's comfort zones. The woman who's worn red lipstick for 40 years isn't necessarily going to want to try your recommendation of a nude shade just because it's the trend unless she WANTS a change.

Guano, sorry.

I started working in cosmetics in Vermont. Not a huge African-American population. Not a huge Asian population. Basically everyone was & still is white. Same thing when I worked in Portland, ME. My first day in Boston I had to match the foundation of a very dark skinned AA woman. FREAKED ME OUT! I'd been in the industry for a few yrs & was terrified. I didn't know how darker skins would accept color, how red some AA women's undertones are, how there are very distinct color differences in some of their skin tones. It took FOREVER to find the foundation for this poor woman. I felt stupid & I know she had to be annoyed as hell. But I learned & grew to LOVE doing makeup on AA women, Asians & esp. Hispanic women. Suddenly blonde haired blue eyed girls were boring (no offense to anyone!) & I craved more "challenging" skins & features because I wasn't afraid of them anymore. This was about 5 yrs after I started in the industry!

Again, slight guano----its the hour! LOL

You will be taught basics but its up to you to hone your skills at counter. There will always be someone who can answer your questions, be it a more senior person at work, your coordinator, training executive etc.

alright. im going to start putting my applications in!
    hopefully i can be like you one day and say that ive been in the business for 13 years. thanks so much!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file