Mascara Favorites

pelirojapeliroja Registered Users Posts: 20
What mascara do you swear by? I am currently using Maybelline Great Lash which looks good in the morning, but by the end of the day looks clumpy and gross. I have $60 towards Sephora(!) and am looking forward to buying myself a good mascara.

Also, anyone try this eyeliner?
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P35611&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=S10505
I have light lashes and hate trying to apply mascara to the lower lashes.
thick 2b/c/3a waves
sporadic spiral curls
halfway down back

Comments

• puddlespuddles Registered Users Posts: 45
    I like Maybelline Unstoppable. No clumps and it doesn't irritate my eyes or contacts.
    2b-3a Brunette, fine but lots of it.
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    I have Maybelline GreatLash or Lash Extend right now (I'll try to remember to check it when I'm home) and same thing-it doesn't bother my eyes with contacts, which is fabulous!

I highly recommend Kiss Me Mascara if you want a really good mascara. It takes practice to apply, but I love it. It's also expensive and I have to order it online, so I'm glad to find the less expensive Maybelline works fine.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    Maybelline Wonder Curl

how are you applying it??? that could be the secret. see my first column - May 2004 - for some advice!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • ~915~~915~ Registered Users Posts: 519
    For me, Loreal Voluminious, which I learned about from this site. I just picked up the Full Definition version, which is supposed to be less clumpy. I also LOVE Lancome Deficinils, but it is better as a daytime mascara because it looks so natural.

Rouquinne,

I know that you probably have already started on next month's column, but at some point, I would be so grateful if you did an article on eye care. One that discusses the use of creams, gels, concealer, SPF, dark circles, etc. and maybe even makeup application. There is just so much information out there that I'm left pretty confused. Just a thought. 8)
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    Have I mentioned lately that my memory is GARBAGE? I know I was thinking about buying Maybelline....

...but I have Max Factor Stretch and Separate.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    I know that you probably have already started on next month's column, but at some point, I would be so grateful if you did an article on eye care. One that discusses the use of creams, gels, concealer, SPF, dark circles, etc. and maybe even makeup application. There is just so much information out there that I'm left pretty confused. Just a thought. 8)

next month's column is already in and April's is half done.

i do plan to do an eye care column, because... *sigh* i'm in my mid-40s and i NEED to look after that delicate skin really well!!!

:wink:
    My blog:

• MipMip Registered Users Posts: 233
    I can definitely recommend Kiss Me mascara. It's great if you have problems with mascara running or flaking or if you have difficulty taking it off, or sensitive eyes. You don't get dramatic lengthening or thickening, but it does look good.

If I didn't have so much trouble with normal mascaras, I would use L'oreal Voluminous. The results really are impressive with that, and it's a good price.
  • pelirojapeliroja Registered Users Posts: 20
    rouquinne wrote:
    Maybelline Wonder Curl

how are you applying it??? that could be the secret. see my first column - May 2004 - for some advice!

Yep, I read your column and I have been following the advise pretty religiously. What kind of cloth do you use to wipe the mascara brush on? I have been using an old bandana lol, which may be too harsh.
    thick 2b/c/3a waves
    sporadic spiral curls
    halfway down back
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    I have used the Maybelline XXL (I think that's what it's called. It's black and white with a primer on one end and mascara on the other). That works pretty well, no clumping. I am currently really liking Almay. They came out with a line that coordinates with your eye color. It includes eyeliner, shadow and mascara. I currently only use the liner and mascara because I didn't really care for the shadow shades. For blue eyes the mascara is blue sapphire. Gives nice coverage, no clumping and is supposed to make your eye color pop. I do think it makes them stand out a little more.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • miacurlmiacurl Registered Users Posts: 332
    Loreal volumious (some volume type word). Love it so far. no clumping or sticky. no smudge
    2C/3A auburn hair.
    between shoulders and BSL
  • asmyasmy Registered Users Posts: 18
    I use L’Oreal Double Extend/with eyelash comb.
    Extremely long lash and no clumps.
    Long, thick, wavy/curly
    3b (I think) If you know my hair type let me know.
    CG since 8/2004
    Head & Shoulders Smooth and Silky Shampoo
    Deep Conditioner - KeraCare Conditioner
    Millennia Mud Reconstructor Conditioner (some times)
  • Lucky06Lucky06 Registered Users Posts: 31
    Dior Maximeyes is the best I've tried so far. Gives full clump-free lashes.
    2b/2c - lots of hair, very thick and wavy/curly
    I have used the Maybelline XXL (I think that's what it's called. It's black and white with a primer on one end and mascara on the other). That works pretty well, no clumping. I am currently really liking Almay. They came out with a line that coordinates with your eye color. It includes eyeliner, shadow and mascara. I currently only use the liner and mascara because I didn't really care for the shadow shades. For blue eyes the mascara is blue sapphire. Gives nice coverage, no clumping and is supposed to make your eye color pop. I do think it makes them stand out a little more.
    Does the mascara look like an odd color? I am a little nervous about blue eyelashes.
    thick 2b/c/3a waves
    sporadic spiral curls
    halfway down back
    peliroja wrote:
    Yep, I read your column and I have been following the advise pretty religiously.

woo hoo!!!!!

:oops:
    What kind of cloth do you use to wipe the mascara brush on? I have been using an old bandana lol, which may be too harsh.

anything fibre-free is good. i take the used makeup remover cloth from the night before.
    My blog:

• lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    I picked up the Unstoppable mascara tonight after seeing it recommended on here, and when I was going through the check out the girl working said that's what she used and that it never ran or smudged, even through tears. Hopefully it will work much better than the Great Lash I just bought a couple of weeks ago, and hopefully it won't irritate my contacts. I don't understand why the pink/green Great Lash is such a great seller?
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • ~915~~915~ Registered Users Posts: 519
    Lushaholic,

Good question! There are so many mascaras out there that offer so much more. Great Lash did not impress me. Oh well.

Chocolate Curls
  • CricketCricket Registered Users Posts: 205
    Love, love, love, Avon's wash-off waterproof mascara! Tried others, but always go back to it. It goes on smooth and doesn't make all your lashes stick together or leave little "leftovers" on your lashes. It goes on sale a lot and it can be really a good buy $2. I hope they never discontinue or reformulate it (I stock pile a little.)
    3a fine, thin, loose curls
    http://public.fotki.com/CricketCurl/
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Chocolate Curls, you know another reason I finally tried Great Lash is because the makeup artist on 'What not to wear' is ALWAYS using that one. So I figured if that was the one she always stuck with, then it must be worth trying. But it's done nothing but give me trouble really: smears, smudges, irritates my eyes. :( But I'm crossing my fingers for the Unstoppable. If this one doesn't work, then it's back to the department store ones for me I guess. Just thought it would be nice to find a cheaper mascara that would work just as well, and let me save those extra bucks for the more fun stuff like lipstuff, eyeshadows, HAIR stuff, hehe. :wink:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    Cricket wrote:
    Love, love, love, Avon's wash-off waterproof mascara! Tried others, but always go back to it. It goes on smooth and doesn't make all your lashes stick together or leave little "leftovers" on your lashes. It goes on sale a lot and it can be really a good buy $2. I hope they never discontinue or reformulate it (I stock pile a little.)

i have this and it's great for washing off - however...

it's thin. you have to do 5 or 6 coats to get the same effect as with a regular mascara.

and, i don't know about you, cricket, but the smell of it bothers me a LOT!

:(
    My blog:

• untamedcurlzuntamedcurlz Registered Users Posts: 36
    I am using Max Factor 2000 Calorie and Avon's Lash Designer and I love both!! :D
    Rou-- what kind of makeup remover cloth do you use?
    thick 2b/c/3a waves
    sporadic spiral curls
    halfway down back
    i use generic ones from the grocery store - similar to the Olay Daily Facials cloths.

costs WAY less and does just as good a job.

some people also use baby wipes - you can get generics of those for even less. but i'm usually wearing so much makeup every day that a product designed for makeup removal is better suited to my needs.

back on mascara for a second - the current campaigns at Avon Canada - and maybe in the US - have great deals on mascara, including the waterproof wash off one that cricket mentioned. for $1.99 Cdn, it is worth a try!

My blog:

• jabbyjabby Registered Users Posts: 68
    I'm going to give an Avon mascara or two a try. Which ones have worked well for people? There are about 6 different ones, and I'm all confused!
    3A/B hair, fine and lots of it
    currently loving: Suave M&H conditioner, CurlKeeper, B&A gel
  • desdemonadesdemona Registered Users Posts: 11
    I just wanted to let everybody know I finally found my holy grail mascara--it's cover girl lash fantasy in the red tube. Some true makeup aficionados over at mua don't like it because the tube is kinda big and the wand is kinda big, but I love it. And I've been looking for the perfect mascara for years now. And I've bought 3 tubes with good results--you know, sometimes when you repeat purchase the formula seems different. But it's great and cheap. I love it in very black.
  • msgdfx1msgdfx1 Registered Users Posts: 106
    I love L'oreal Double Extend. It really builds beautiful lashes.
    3C and natural for 5 years:angel10:.
  • CricketCricket Registered Users Posts: 205
    jabby wrote:
    I'm going to give an Avon mascara or two a try. Which ones have worked well for people? There are about 6 different ones, and I'm all confused!

I use the Washoff Waterproof in black.
    3a fine, thin, loose curls
    http://public.fotki.com/CricketCurl/
    Does anyone use Diorshow? I like the chesnut color it comes in.
    thick 2b/c/3a waves
    sporadic spiral curls
    halfway down back
  • mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    My favorite is Rimmel Endless Length & Lift. I also like Maybelline Volume Express Turbo Boost.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Registered Users Posts: 994
    I have been using CoverGirl Professional for a while now. I would usually go for the "expensive" drugstore type, but this is actually really cheap and works great.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Registered Users Posts: 637
    L'Oreal Voluminous w/ the curved brush. I use a lash curler first & va va va voom I have killer lashes!
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file