CurlTalk

Fighting over names

velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
My husband is wonderful in many ways, but he's getting on my last nerve regarding a name for our baby.

He suggests nothing himself, but shoots down everything I suggest.
He has horribly pedestrian taste in names.
I hate him. (Not really, but he's making me mad. Never make a pregnant lady mad.)

Why are boy names so hard? :(
3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users

Tell me about it! Before we found out what we're having, I made a list of girl and boy names that I liked. Then I gave the lists to DH and he checked the ones he liked off my list. Well, he checked more than 10 girl names, but only like 3 boy names (even though my boy list was longer)! And the ones he picked out were my least favorites off the list. I was so upset! :angry4:

We already have a name picked out now because apparently there's only one name we both like. :roll: Let's hope we never have another boy...
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Just like my husband. haha

We haven't started brainstorming yet for this baby's name but I remember what it was like for the last one.

Yes, boy names (like boy clothes and boy bedding and boy furniture and boy toys) are more difficuult to decide on.

• M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    Girl names were harder for us than boy names.
    :rambo:
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users

Yes, boy names (like boy clothes and boy bedding and boy furniture and boy toys) are more difficuult to decide on.

Ugh, yes! I am having such a hard time finding boy bedding I like. Everything has trucks, cars, trains, airplanes or characters. Not my style. Luckily my husband has no interest in clothes or bedding, so whatever I pick out will be what we get -- unlike names that we have to fight over.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Just wait til the baby is born and then name him anything you want. In my experience, no decent husband is going to deny his wife after watching her go through birth.

I always had an easy time with boy names. I have 3 boys, but I have several extra favorite names I never even got to use.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    My husband is wonderful in many ways, but he's getting on my last nerve regarding a name for our baby.

I hate him. (Not really, but he's making me mad. Never make a pregnant lady mad.)

LOL to the part in bold. my husband did the exact same thing, both times. he waited until the last two weeks to start picking up the baby name book to get ideas and to jot down possible family namesakes.

actually, he came up with a good boy name for our second baby, but that big bundle turned out to be a girl! :laughing9:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    Girls names were harder for us. And according to him: "You'll be so doped up anyway I can choose what I want!" He was kidding of course.

We have a list on the fridge of the front runners right now.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the problem is there are myriad great girls names out there! And about 2 or 3 decent boys names. Same with clothes, bedding sets, etc. If there is a problem w/ choosing for a girl, it's a problem of excess!

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

Same here.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    medussa wrote:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

Same here.
    yeppers... :afro:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I think the problem is there are myriad great girls names out there! And about 2 or 3 decent boys names. Same with clothes, bedding sets, etc. If there is a problem w/ choosing for a girl, it's a problem of excess!

I agree with you about the names, but not stuff like clothes and bedding. I find the only choices for girls are butterflies, flowers, or ladybugs. Boys get to chose from all kinds of sports, boats, animals, trucks, cars, spaceships, airplanes, military themes etc.

Maybe my issue isn't so much with the amount of choices as the choices themselves. It seems like the boy stuff is all based on activities, and it's as if girls don't actually do anything, so they have flowers.

As to the original topic, I think boys names are harder. If we have a boy we're naming him after my husband - which I'm not crazy about doing, but I do like his name (Richard) so I'll go along with it.

I don't know what name I'd actually choose if I had to, so I guess I'm glad I don't really have a choice in the matter.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I was just reading a blog post about this (whether boys' names are harder to pick).

Velvet paws, what about animal-themed bedding?
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    My husband did the same thing with boy names, not girl. I think being a guy he was worried about not giving him a proper male name. I think he was really concerned about the image the name will project.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    My husband did the same thing with boy names, not girl. I think being a guy he was worried about not giving him a proper male name. I think he was really concerned about the image the name will project.

I suggested Killer HugePenis last night, as my husband continued to say no to names I liked for not sounding manly enough. :lol:

I think my problem with the bedding is that I don't want any kind of theme (trucks, sports, whatever), just really nice fabric / design for the baby bedding. And there seem to be more things like that for girl bedding than for boy. Someone suggested PB Kids as somewhere I might find what I'm looking for, so I'll have to check them out.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    I feel your pain we had a name picked out and then when we had 2 weeks left all the sudden hubby didn't like that name anymore. He picked out a name and I liked it just wasn't sure if that was the name I wanted so we were just going to wait until the baby was born to decide. I remember right after Quentin was born the nurse asked if we had a name and Kevin gave me this look like well can we use it and by that time I didn't care so I gave him a little nod and that's how we decided on the name
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I suggested Killer HugePenis last night, as my husband continued to say no to names I liked for not sounding manly enough. :lol:

teehee2.gif
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    we had a deal before we knew the sex.

if it was a girl I had veto power, but he got to choose the name, and was more-or-less his call.
    if it was a boy he had veto power, but I got to choose the name, and was more-or-less my call.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    My husband and I are in agreement on the first name, although we're not picking it for 100% certain until he's born. The middle name is more challenging though. I have one I really want, and my husband doesn't like it very much. He keeps saying if it's that important to me I can "win" this one, but I want him to actually agree with me on it, not just let me have my way.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,466Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:

Tell me about it! Before we found out what we're having, I made a list of girl and boy names that I liked. Then I gave the lists to DH and he checked the ones he liked off my list. Well, he checked more than 10 girl names, but only like 3 boy names (even though my boy list was longer)! And the ones he picked out were my least favorites off the list. I was so upset! :angry4:

We already have a name picked out now because apparently there's only one name we both like. :roll: Let's hope we never have another boy...

Hey Bailey how about ??

Urban

or

Chris

he he he
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    [
    I think my problem with the bedding is that I don't want any kind of theme (trucks, sports, whatever), just really nice fabric / design for the baby bedding. And there seem to be more things like that for girl bedding than for boy. Someone suggested PB Kids as somewhere I might find what I'm looking for, so I'll have to check them out.

PB Kids has some great non-theme stuff. My boy bedding is from there although it's car and truck themed. It's not something he will outgrow quickly so I didn't mind paying the higher price. FYI, when you find something you like...go look on e-bay. You might find it cheaper.

As for names....I didn't have a choice once we found out it was a boy. He's number V. :wink:
  • imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    Before I had children, I always thought I would have a more difficult time with boys names than girls, but I was proven wrong when I had my son and daughter.

With our son, we thought we had decided on a name very early in the pregnancy. As I got closer to having him though I wasn't comfortable with just one option, so we easily came up with 4 names to choose from.
    With our daughter, we had a very hard time finding anything we liked. My husband wasn't wild about the one name that kept jumping out at me, Corinne, so we used it as a middle name and compromised on Laura, he liked Lauren but I thought it is too popular. I regret not standing my ground and using Corinne as a first name. Why do I have to have a husband who wants a say in naming our children? Why can't I have one that says "Yes dear, whatever you want!"? You know it won't matter to them in a few months but it'll matter to you!
    .png

.png
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    We took turns naming our kids, like my parents did. However, we knew a long long time before I got pg with all of them what the names would be.
    Husband grew up wanting to name a boy after his brother, who'd died of SIDS. That ended up being our first boy (but I wanted a junior, then changed my mind at the end of the pregnancy). We thought the first was a girl, and had a girl name all set. That ended up going to our 2nd baby about 1.5 years later. Then, I can't remember how long before, he came home from work asking what was a good middle name for X besides Michael. Immediately, my husband's first name came to mind, and our third child's name was done. We were so sure he was a boy, we didn't have any girl names ready. He's also a reverse junior, so I ended up sorta gettin gmy way, anyway. His first name is a version of my husband's middle name, and my son's middle name is my husband's first name.

My sister always wanted to give her son her maiden name, to continue it on, and her husband said he'd always have to make sure he's the one filling out the birth certificate info to make sure the kids had his last name!

So, even if you don't like what he likes, make sure you're the one filling out the forms, and done! (only kidding, but it's true)
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.