CurlTalk

Question about water breaking...

curlyninercurlyniner Posts: 130Registered Users
Can a baby actually kick you hard enough to cause your water to break? I know the odds of my water spontaneously breaking are slim, but this little girl is *killing* me with her Riverdance moves. Sort of like :blob5: on my hip bone and cervix.
"Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    hahaha i know what you mean! i thought majerle was going to kick my bladder right out of me!

but i have no idea. youre almost there though! yay you and baby!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Why do you think spontaneous rupture of membranes is rare? Something like 1/3 of all full-term labors start with SROM. All of my labors started that way, so I never had to fight with the hospital about artificially rupturing them...because it was already ruptured.

I don't think baby-kicking is what breaks it though.
  • curlyninercurlyniner Posts: 130Registered Users
    I dunno, I always heard it was unlikely (to have your water break before anything else, like contractions or whatnot). *shrug* I know once contractions start then pretty much anything is fair game. I don't feel anywhere close to actually going into labor, I just keep thinking this little one is going to kick a hole in my uterus. :lol:

Mine never broke/leaked with my first (even at 10cm) because her head was plugging everything up. When I got to the hospital, the midwife kept asking me "Are you sure it hasn't broken?" Um, I don't think I would miss that... :?
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    curlyniner wrote:
    I dunno, I always heard it was unlikely (to have your water break before anything else, like contractions or whatnot). *shrug* I know once contractions start then pretty much anything is fair game. I don't feel anywhere close to actually going into labor, I just keep thinking this little one is going to kick a hole in my uterus. :lol:

Mine never broke/leaked with my first (even at 10cm) because her head was plugging everything up. When I got to the hospital, the midwife kept asking me "Are you sure it hasn't broken?" Um, I don't think I would miss that... :?

Don't be so sure I had no idea my water broke with number 2. I had tons of (yes this is nasty) mucus stuff coming out of me so much so that I had to wear a pad not a liner a pad the hospital told me if I filled the bad in an hour to come in that never happened when I finally went into the hospital the nurse checked me and said "wow you do have a lot of stuff coming out of ya" an hour later when the Dr. checked me she said "did you feel a big gush of fluid" I said no whe said I think your water broke and that was it we never had a for sure time when it happened because I never had the big gush of fluid like I did with my first one.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Mine broke during active labour, right before we left for the hospital. When I was checked about 1/2 an hour later or so, I was 5-6 cm.

I read that only 10% of women have their water break before contractions start.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• KristaRoseKristaRose Posts: 546Registered Users
    My water "leaked" and it took me literally hours to know what was happening and go to the hospital. When I got there, I was only fingertip dilated. If not for the monitor, I wouldn't have known I was having contractions. At that point, they were nothing more than cramps.
    3B
    Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.
  • jcejce Posts: 507Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    I read that only 10% of women have their water break before contractions start.

Mine broke before my contractions started, but there was no huge gush. It was a very odd internal sort of sensation that woke me up at 6am. It was almost like I heard/felt a popping of some sort. Then I felt liquid oozing out.

When I went to the hospital, they couldn't get the little paper to turn blue, so they tried to convince me that I had peed on myself and wasn't in real labor. My husband dipped the paper (after the first nurse left to get another nurse), and it turned blue right away.
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    I couldn't help but add to this thread that's already a couple of weeks old b/c my water broke w/o any contractions. And I mean it was gushing all over the place. Mind you though, I had extreme chills and had to sit in front of a heater. It happened a week after the baby's due date, so she was full-term and all. It took a few hours before my OB/GYN decided I needed to be induced since I still didn't go into active labor on my own (after my cervix was dilated enough after being artificially ripened earlier).

Had no idea this was rare, but I guess it was nice to go to the hospital knowing I was going into labor, but not being in "active labor" with any contractions just yet......
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also read that only 10% of women have their water break. I thought it was funny when I read it because so many TV show labors start with water breaking.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Munchy wrote:
    I also read that only 10% of women have their water break. I thought it was funny when I read it because so many TV show labors start with water breaking.

I guess it makes for better TV than diarrhea. :lol:
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    Munchy wrote:

I guess it makes for better TV than diarrhea. :lol:

:lol:
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A