3C INFORMATION THREAD!!!!!!!!

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
OK 3c-ers with kinky-curly hair -

Some random questions.....

1) What do you find is your optimum hair length? What is your maximum length?
I have had hair down to the middle of my back, cropped short and everything else in between.
Currently, I WAS at BSL till my hair suddenly started shrinking this week (I haven't relaxed in 7 months and that's probably why) - now it's just below my shoulders and I miss my length! Coiled up, my longest hair is about 19 inches and straight, about 25-26 inches and I think I could pull it out a little more still.
What do you think is the best length for your hair? As my hair grows, it relaxes itself a little, especially at the roots, which is fine, but it also gets thicker and heavier till it's so heavy it literally hurts, and is a challenge to manage. My hair and I have an unconditional love policy so I deal with that. However, I'm wondering what the best length would be. I really liked my hair just above my shoulders - it had a little more bounce, and now I have to be more careful not to weigh it down overly. However, I love long hair (and so does my husband) and for years I've wanted it as close to waist length as I can get, but I'm realizing it doesn't look quite as peppy on the way there. I know it's easier to cut than grow, so i'm keeping on growing and eventually I will cut, but not yet. I do need a trim and fresh layers and I expect this will help too.

2) Who here has been to Curve salon in Brooklyn? (the ones who sell [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink].) I'll be singing in New York later this year and staying with family in Brooklyn, and I want to get my hair cut. I was planning on going to Ouidad, where I've been before, but if I can stay in Brooklyn instead of trekking downtown, cool. I guess I'll be working downtown, but I'd rather get my hair cut on a day off when I'm at home. I read the Curve site and they said they blow hair straight to cut it and I do NOT want that. They also do the Silkener - I assume that is similar to a wash and wear relaxer? Anyone know anything else about them?

3) What products do you rate the highest for:
-moisturizing
-detangling
-softening hair
-shine

I would say for moisturizing, Pink or Curls Essential Element, detangling, Eluscence conditioner, softening hair - olive or coconut oil, shine - also the oils, or BioSilk.

4) What methods do you use to counteract shrinkage? I know of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink] and shingling, putting clips on the end, heavy products like S-curl and silicone serums, and of course, resetting the hair with fingers, curlers etc. but am I missing anything?

5) Do you like your hair thick or do you try to reduce volume?

6) Do you brush your hair?
Pick?
Comb?
Brush?
Wet or dry? How often?
(I do all of the above twice a day, wet or dry.)

7) How often do you wash your hair?

Me it's 1-2 weeks and I rarely wet in between.

8) Do you CG?

Me - NO!!!

9) What is your routine?

I don't really have one, but when I wash, I always do an oil DT, a protein treatment, a commercial DT, shampoo, leave in a regular conditioner, section and comb in products, and alternate air drying with diffusing or hood dryer but never scrunch, flip or touch my hair, then pick out. In the week, I do all sorts of things and use all sorts of products.
For the most reliable, perfect corkscrews, I use my most moisturizing products, form them with my fingers when wet, diffuse lightly when almost dry, then gently pick out and fix with a tiny curling iron.
I always brush and comb and moisturize and braid up my hair at night.

-I thought this would be fun as there are always lots of 3a and wavy threads and I always feel like my answers to the questions are weird to them, and I wonder what people with my hair type do.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• UCurlGirlUCurlGirl Registered Users Posts: 97
    Hi Amneris!

I'm trying to grow my hair as long as it will get. I measured in November, and it was 19". I measured last weekend and it was 22". So there is some headway, but I'm trying to get it a little above brastrap length. I'm not sure my genetics will let me, but I'm trying.

2) Who here has been to Curve salon in Brooklyn?
    I attempted to set an appt. with Curve a few years ago, and Titi and her sister were very rude and unpleasant over the phone. I mentioned I had heard about them on NC.com, and wanted to schedule a consult as I would be in NY in a few months. They actually reacted quite negatively to the fact that I would be coming from California (I'm in NY at least twice a year) and were weird about me scheduling a consult. I told them I wasn't sure what services I would want, so obviously I wouldn't be scheduling a service, but if I decided I wanted one I would come back. I asked them about a few of the services they provided, and their response was "Well, maybe you should educate yourself more and then come in" :?: Anyway, I ended up going to Devachan.
    As far as I know, their silkener is basically a mild relaxer that is left on for a shorter period of time than a relaxer normally would be. Someone on this board once posted about seeing them mixing it in a bowl, so I suspect they probably also mix it with a conditioner, as some stylists do to minimize damage and "cut" the relaxer.
    I also asked them about how their cut compensates for differents hair growth patterns and textures on the same head of hair if they cut it straight (my hair has different types of curls all over, and so if it's cut evenly straight, it will be uneven when curly). They basically ignored my question and just kept repeating "We give a technically correct cut." When I asked, "What does that mean?" , they repeated, very impatiently, curtly, and rudely, "We give a technically correct cut." A "technically correct cut" would not work on me, since my hair does not grow "technically" :roll: They were quite rude.

-moisturizing
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Jessicurl Too Shea[/buylink]
    -detangling
    Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

-softening hair
    Too Sea
    -shine
    My gel (Biolage Gelle) gives pretty good shine, but I'm thinking of experimenting again with the glycerin mixture in the CG book.

4) What methods do you use to counteract shrinkage?
    I use the method on the Curve site of stretching the curls once their dry and holding the diffuser to them for a few moments.

Pick?
    Comb?
    Brush?
    Wet or dry? How often?
    (I do all of the above twice a day, wet or dry.)

I pick the roots once dry to give me more volume and length.

I'm on CG and nopoo about once a week (trying to bump it up to twice or three times)

9) What is your routine?

1.) Wash and condition in the shower, combing products through.
    2.) Add leave-in (usually B and B)
    3.) Apply gel in sections (like Ouidad recommends) and diffuse dry
    4.) Pick out when dry
    5.) Add something for shine and to reduce frizzies (was using Finesse Styling Potion, but as it's been discontinued am looking for a replacement).

HTH!
    3C, fine corkscrew. Carlos at Devachan devotee. "I don't poo, do you?" No Pooing for a year and a half. Holy grail products include: Kenra Moisturizing Treatment, Nioxin Scalp Therapy,Devacurl No-Poo Ouidad Botanical Boost alternated with Bumble and Bumble Leave-In, Ouidad Deep Treatment, and Biolage Gellee Gel. I HAVE FOUND ALL MY HOLY GRAIL PRODUCTS FOR CONSISTENT, RELIABLE GOOD HAIR DAYS!!!

"Hon, can you make me a scotch on the rocks? And can you make the rocks be my Vicodin?"--Karen from Will and Grace

"You're tacky and I hate you."--Fancypants to Jack Black in "School of Rock"
  • maricurlmaricurl Registered Users Posts: 59
    i'm real new at this and just finding what works well for my hair.

1. optimum length--i don't know. i want it to be longer enough so i can wear it in a ponytail/bun, etc. my hair has been long before, but never long and curly.right now its just below my ears curly, probably the base of my neck straight.

2. never been to curve. had a ouidad cut last fall. wasn't real impressed.

3. i used giovanni 50/50 condtioner as a leave in today along with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]ag recoil[/buylink] and liked the reults. other conditioners i like (find moisturizing) : generic humectress, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]jessicurl aloeba[/buylink]. i've tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] a couple of times. not sure its doing much for me. i'm all about finding products that will give me moisture, which i find gives me frizz free curls.

4. shrinkage. i comb through condtioner, styling products. when i'm difussing dry i pull the ends of my hair to loosen up the curl. i'm hoping more length will help with this.

5. i try to reduce volume a bit because i don't think my hair has enough length to weigh itself down. i have a small face and don't like to feel that i'm overwhelmed by my hair.

6. i only comb with my condtioner and styling products i rinse my hair and reapply condtioner and styling cream or gel every other day.

7. i wash with a non sls shampoo once a week. i've tried to do cg, but never lasted very long. maybe i'm just not patient enough to wait for results. i've had trouble with deep treatments making my hair frizzy, so i skipped last week. so far jessicurl dt is the only one that doesn't have this effect.

my routine: rinse my hair every other day. aplly condtioner. leave it all in. combe through. comb through styling product. diffuse dry, first head flipped over, then side to side, then upright. diffuse about 75% dry. sometimes i need to apply a little more styling product to selected curls that have gotten fuzzy in the drying process. after that i try not to touch my hair for maybe 45-60 minutes. by then its totally dry and i kinda of sue my fingertips and rub my scalp to loosen it up. on days i don't wet/condition hair i sue water, or water mixed with a little condtioner and scrunch it into my hair to get rid of frizz. lately i've been using little claw clips at night to cip my hairtowards the top of my head (its too short to 'pineapple') this seems to cut down on the frizz from sleeping on it. i'm a very restless sleeper.
    3c
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    See, I learned something.
    I didn't think frizz was so much of an issue for kinky-curly hair. I mostly see it as a wavy/3a problem, Do any other 3c's have this?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur

I think my optimal length is a maybe three inches past my shoulders, though I would like to have my hair atleast BSL. My maximum was around BSL. The last time I had my hair close to that length was back in ‘96 when I wore my hair in braids w/ a relaxer. I ended up cutting all of it because, being the uneducated person I was (concerning taking care of your hair after removing braids), I didn’t comb my hair out, and ended having mini dreads all over my head after ‘pooing. I had approx. 15 inches of hair cut off because of the damage from trying to comb my hair out........Cried like a baby that entire evening and again when I went to the hairdresser to get it cut.

2) Who here has been to Curve salon in Brooklyn? (the ones who sell [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink].)

I haven’t been there, unfortunately.

-moisturizing
    -detangling
    -softening hair
    -shine

For moisture, I would say any good conditioner will do, though I would love to find a styling product that can deliver that.

For detangling, again, a good conditioner (i.e. Infusium 23 leave-in and creme condish when I am trying to remove product buildup or when I run out of my regular stuff, Aubrey Organics Island Naturals line, Nature’s gate Original and Hemp Condish, and Alba Botanica Smooth and Straight Styling Gel.

For softening, I normally don’t need anything because most of the products used, while providing a good hold, also leaves my hair soft to the touch (if that makes any sense). But if my hair feels alittle crunchy, I just use alittle mixture of oil in my hair to soften. Normally avocado and coconut oil.

And for shine, I don’t really use anything, because my hair has a decent luster to it. When your hair is healthy (I’m almost there :D ), it imparts a natural sheen, but on those dull days, I’ve used Alba Botanica’s smooth serum. Not so much anymore.

I actually like shrinkage. I just wish that my hair was consistently the same texture. I have some pieces that are s-shaped, some pieces that are almost straight, and then I have corkscrew curls. Makes my hair look a tad bit uneven. But if I do want to elongate the curls, I just pull the curls after they are dry or as mentioned by UcurlGirl, I stretch the curls while using a diffuser.

I actually prefer it full. I think it looks better that way.

Pick?
    Comb?
    Brush?
    Wet or dry? How often?

I don’t brush my hair when wearing it natural (curly), as that would cause major frizz. That would almost defeat the purpose of me using products to define my curls. But when I flat-iron, I used a soft boor (I think that’s how it’s spelled) bristle brush . I wear my hair straight maybe for about 2 weeks every 2-3 months to track hair growth and to trim. I only comb when I wash and condition my hair, which is normally 2-3 times a week, and when I wear my hair straight. I don’t use a pik, ‘cause that will cause my hair to frizz a bit.

I wash 2-3 times a week with a shampoo bar. I exercise 4-5 times a week, and I can’t leave my hair with all of the salt left after sweating, as it dries my hair out.

8) Do you CG?

Nope.

9) What is your routine?

I wash and condition my hair. While hair is still sopping wet, I apply whatever styling products being used at the moment, which in the case would be BWC leave-in, Shaman Organics Smoothing Fixative, and B2B Curl Catalyst. I also switch off and on with PM Extra Clean and Extra Body Sculpting gels, SheaMoisture leave-in, FOTE Aloe Gel, Alba Botanica leave-in and smooth and straight gel, and Aubrey Organics. Sometimes I’ll use a diffuser if I need my hair dry in a hurry. I prefer to air-dry, though. I’m sure I’ve forgotten something.....Um, in between washings, I just refresh curls with a combo of leave-in, aloe gel, and water. Does the trick for bed-head.

And that’s pretty much it.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Registered Users Posts: 253

Optimum for me is a chin length bob. The longest I've had it was shoulder length, so if I ever pull it together to grow it longer than that I might find a new optimum length.

2) Who here has been to Curve salon in Brooklyn? (the ones who sell [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink].)

No

-moisturizing
    -detangling
    -softening hair
    -shine

For me, any thick conditioner I can glob on seems to do the job, but I am particularly fond of my current panteen curly hair conditioner for its detangling abilities. For softening and shine I've been scrunching on a little oil after my hair is mostly dry. Olive oil, salad oil, heck I just bought some massage oil since it smells good.

I just finger comb more while conditioning and sort of tug the hair while its drying, but usually I don't care enough to bother.

I flipped out about too much volume during both of my pregnancies, but I like the big volume in my regular hair. Sometimes its strangely puffier in some random spot and then I can tightly finger twist some of the underlying curls to bring it down.

Pick?
    Comb?
    Brush?
    Wet or dry? How often?

I haven't brushed since 1994! I just run my fingers through it while conditioning.

I wash it every morning but only use baby shampoo every 2 or 3 day.

Do you CG?

Sort of, in a kind of lazy way.

9) What is your routine?

Rinse off every morning in shower. some mornings shampoo just scalp. All mornings condition and rub scalp with conditioner. Rinse mostly out. Gently pat on my mix of infusium 23 leave in and suave gel. Carefully scrunch into all hair. Really gently sqeeze out extra. Out of the shower I put on a little more gel and sepparate out some of the curls and try to twist any little bit of friz into the curls. Right now, as you can tell, I'm into being super gentle with my hair so that I don't frizz.

I'm going to try ACV rinse as soon as I get some! And some avacodo oil.
    3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
    Formerly "Rainyday"
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Registered Users Posts: 619
    Since I have changed my routine I thought I should update my survey answers. Changes are in red.

Right now my hair comes to my shoulders. Eventually, I would like to have my hair a little below BSL. Any more than that will probably be too much to take care of. I have had various lengths. My maximum length was above BSL curly.

My hair has grown a lot but when curly it still hits my shoulders :(. Blown out it is right below my shoulder blades.

I went there for a cut. The owners were quite nice however the cut was okay. They used a blow dryer to straighten my hair and then cut it. This is not the best method for my hair.

-moisturizing
    -detangling
    -softening hair
    -shine

Detangling-MHC Herbal Hair Cocktail and Elucence
    Moisturizing and Softening Hair-Elucence and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink]
    Shine-My hair is naturally shiny but I do use an herbal hair rinse a few times a week. It works great for shine and to keep your hair strong.

I use the Curling Custard. It really helps with shrinkage. I still shingle sometimes if I want to change my curl size.

I like a little volume especially at the roots.

Pick?
    Comb?
    Brush?
    Wet or dry? How often?

I only comb my hair damp with a lot of conditioner in it. Brushing does not work on my fine hair it shreds it.

I wash once a week with a Cream of Nature (red writing). I rinse daily or every other day since I exercise.

8 ) Do you CG?

Modified. I wash and use natural oils but I do not use petrochemicals, alcohol, or sulfates.

9) What is your routine?

Once a week I DT with Elucence mixed with coconut oil. Since my hood dryer broke I use a hot towel. I need to buy one of those conditioning caps. Then I shampoo and follow-up with a light moisturizing conditioner. I follow-up with an herbal hair conditioner rinse. I squeeze out excess water (towels and t-shirts make my hair frizzy) and add Knot Today. If I am wearing my hair down I will apply the Curling Custard. On non-wash days I rinse my hair and apply [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink]. If I wear my hair down I apply CC. A few times a week I massage my scalp with coconut oil.

Yes, I do get frizzy hair if all of the strands are not coated in some product or conditioner.

So, looking back, not much changed with my routine. I still apply products in section but now I use Curling Custard (styling), [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] (daily conditioning), Cream of Nature (weekly cleansing), MHC HCC (detangling trouble spots when needed), and Elucence (detangling and deep conditioning). I figure this is the best combination for my hair since I have gotten the most compliments from using them.

The brushing experiment was a disaster. I learned how to dust my own ends. CP dried out my hair (still keep it around just in case). I no longer comb my hair in the shower but I still comb it with lots of conditioner in it and some MHC HHC sprayed on it. I can go productless as long as I have a creamy leave-in in it.

Well, lets see how my hair changes in the next two months. I hope that the products I am using still work for me as I am happier with my hair than I have ever been (still looking for that great hair shaping/cut) Thanks everyone for all of the tips and advice you have posted in the last few months! I doubt my hair would have looked the same without them (or at least I would have had a *huge* learning curve LOL.)
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
    cehua wrote:
    A question of my own: How many of you guys leave all or some of your conditioner in your hair? Does it leave an icky film?

i leave in all of my conditioner. i think i went a little overboard today (first time using giovanni 50/50) and it feels a little producty but still has some decent shine. i'm just loving the fact that it hasn't gotten that late day poofy/frizziness. before i started leaving in so much condtioner i relied on gel and my second day hair was really bad because the amount of gel i needed made my hair stiff and dry.
    3c
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    Amneris wrote:
    See, I learned something.
    I didn't think frizz was so much of an issue for kinky-curly hair. I mostly see it as a wavy/3a problem, Do any other 3c's have this?

sometimes i get frizz if i (or someone else) messes with my hair while its still wet. or if i dont apply my products right or not enough. amneris, i really want to see pics of your hair, i bet its gorgeous!

shygirl723, love the hair!

and i also leave conditioner in my after after "washing". when i leave elucence in, i get the best results but for some odd reason whenever i leave [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]jessicurl's too shea[/buylink] in, it feels all fimly and gross.
    When I was younger and had an unexpected sleepover at a non-curly haired friend’s house I would use a regular conditioner and use it instead of creams/gels. I loved the results. My curls were shiny, soft, and frizz free. But I asked people (this was in the 90s) if they thought it was a good idea to use it daily. Everyone said no because it would be drying. Actually most people said that if the conditioner were meant to be left in the hair it would be sold as a leave-in (smart a$$ :roll: ). I even called a few companies and asked if it were a good idea to leave the conditioner in and they all said no too. Now I am hearing that it is good to leave conditioner in your hair. For curlies who do, how much conditioner do you leave in (e.g., do you soak your hair in conditioner or just leave 5% of it in, etc.) and how often do you leave it in (e.g., every time you wash/rinse, once a week etc.). Has anyone just used conditioner on their hair (no gels or creams)? Besides Elucence and Giovanni 50/50 what are some good conditioners to leave-in on 3c hair?

Maricurl: Does your gel go over your conditioner smoothly or does it clump up?

Thanks guys :P

Amneris, sorry that I hijacked your thread :oops: . I guess I should have started a new one.....

br-flag1.gif
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    cehua wrote:
    For curlies who do, how much conditioner do you leave in (e.g., do you soak your hair in conditioner or just leave 5% of it in, etc.) and how often do you leave it in (e.g., every time you wash/rinse, once a week etc.). Has anyone just used conditioner on their hair (no gels or creams)? Besides Elucence and Giovanni 50/50 what are some good conditioners to leave-in on 3c hair?

i use like a quarter sized amount. maybe 2. im a bit heavy handed when it comes to products, but i apply enough to coat my hair.

i use it as leave in everyday ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence mb conditioner[/buylink]). ive used just conditioner on my hair and no [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gelebration-Spray-p-101.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gelebration-spray]gelebration spray[/buylink] or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]confident coils[/buylink] and my hair was moisturized, but it didnt have any hold. so by the end of the night i had a puffball of hair. but it was a soft puffball.

i use elucence and i used to use the 50/50. if you like the 50/50 you may want to try their direct leave in. i used that before i found elucence.
    i had no problem putting gel over the conditioner, or styling cream which i've been using lately. i think my hair is very porous (i guess partly cause i color it to cover gray) so i don't tend to have problems applying alot of product--way more that the suggested amount. plus, even though my hair is kind of short, there's an awful lot of it.

i know there are some ingredients in certain condtioners that are not designed to be leave-ins and can be irritating. but i also see some of those same ingredients used in products that ARE left in the hair (like in volumax gel) laurabeth really knows alot about different ingredients. maybe she'll read this thread and respond to your question.
    i'm not sure that i agree with the 'if it was meant to be left in your hair it would be sold as a leave in' because i think that until very recently the majority of products were designed for straight hair--besides, i was always under the impression that so called leave in condtioners were just watered down versions of regular condtioners. could be wrong--just an assumption on my part.
    3c
  • VivViv Registered Users Posts: 17
    Hi Amneris! Have to say that I've been enjoying reading your posts. Back in January I decided I wanted to try a different routine and in doing a search for 3C's, I've found a number of helpful posts from you.

I'm tall, 5'11" so I feel that my hair looks best long, sitting about 3" below my collarbone. Stretched out my hair is about 22" to 23". I haven't found that my hair has stretched out any more at 22" compared to how it was at 18". Shrinkage is still proportional.

I think a big factor to consider with hair length is how it will compliment your face. Being on the tall and thin side, too much length for me would pull the lines of my face downward more, visually. Long hair just to have long hair defeats the purpose, I want an overall look, or style.

2) Who here has been to Curve salon in Brooklyn?

I WISH. I'm in CA. I like the pics on their website, and the fact that both owners look like they're 3C's as well. I've used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink], it's a good product, but I'm prefering the "lightness" of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink] a lot more.

Oyins [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Whipped Pudding[/buylink] and Oyins Shine & Define give me all three, detangling, softening & shine. I use them interchangeably, can't say I like one more than the other, the smell is wonderful. I'm using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink] on top for definition and body. Really good combination for me right now. For shampoo & conditioner I'm using Elucence. This is the first routine I've used where my hair looks better as the day progresses, instead of worse.

I've used two strand twists to lengthen my hair on occasion, either 2 twists on either side of my head, or 6 twists altogether, depending on my time. The 6 twists work well for 2nd day hair. I take a section of hair and spray it with water til it's uniformily damp, then add bit of Shine & Define (I'm pretty heavy handed with products, my hair is fairly porous.) In the morning I'll use a diffuser and pull the twists out a bit as I dry them, then unravel the twists and continue to traction my hair a bit as I diffuse.

Although my hair is bushy, it's also thin so I appreciate the volume my hair appears to have.

I comb through my hair in the shower, that's usually it. I fingerstyle the rest of the time. I have tried brushing my hair before doing the twists and found no real advantage short of the nice feeling I get in terms of a scalp massage from the brushing.

Every 3 days or so. I don't like the product buildup.

8) Do you CG?

No. Tried it, didn't really like the results, lifeless, limp hair.

9) What is your routine?

Right now I wash & condition with Elucence. While my hair is still dripping wet I'll add some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Whipped Pudding[/buylink] mainly to my ends, then work [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink] in, starting from the top to the ends. Depending on my time, I'll either put my hair in 2 2strand twists, diffuse for a bit, untwist my hair and either completely dry it or let it air dry. I'm liking the way that my hair air dries with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink], if I can work it I prefer not using any heat at all, but it is winter now. I also have to put my hair up at night, buns, twist, or braiding.

10) A question of my own: How many of you guys leave all or some of your conditioner in your hair? Does it leave an icky film?

Stylists have suggested that to me, and have to say that it just leaves my hair feeling gummy.

Good thread topic!
    Thanks Subbrock. I have tried neither Elucence nor Giovanni 50/50. Which is better for a leave-in? I love the look the conditioner gives me. I get nice clumping and defined curls. No leave-in has ever done this alone. I do not remember my hair getting puffy when I did this back in the late 90s. So is there a consensus that leaving a regular conditioner in my hair on a daily or semi-daily basis will not make my hair fall out? Gosh, if I could use a conditioner in place of gels/creams I would save so much money 8) .

br-flag1.gif
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Registered Users Posts: 253
    cehua wrote:
    A question of my own: How many of you guys leave all or some of your conditioner in your hair? Does it leave an icky film?

I leave about 5-10% of the palm sized glob I use. Just enough that I can still feel its there. More irritates my skin, or I would experiment with it...
    3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
    Formerly "Rainyday"
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Subbrock! Your hair is beautiful as well! :D

As fas as leaving in conditioner, I don't. I usually just rinse it out with cool water, and use an actual leave-in with my styling products.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    cehua wrote:
    When I was younger and had an unexpected sleepover at a non-curly haired friend’s house I would use a regular conditioner and use it instead of creams/gels. I loved the results. My curls were shiny, soft, and frizz free. But I asked people (this was in the 90s) if they thought it was a good idea to use it daily. Everyone said no because it would be drying. Actually most people said that if the conditioner were meant to be left in the hair it would be sold as a leave-in (smart a$$ :roll: ). I even called a few companies and asked if it were a good idea to leave the conditioner in and they all said no too. Now I am hearing that it is good to leave conditioner in your hair. For curlies who do, how much conditioner do you leave in (e.g., do you soak your hair in conditioner or just leave 5% of it in, etc.) and how often do you leave it in (e.g., every time you wash/rinse, once a week etc.). Has anyone just used conditioner on their hair (no gels or creams)? Besides Elucence and Giovanni 50/50 what are some good conditioners to leave-in on 3c hair?

Maricurl: Does your gel go over your conditioner smoothly or does it clump up?

Thanks guys :P

Amneris, sorry that I hijacked your thread :oops: . I guess I should have started a new one.....

No problem, Cehua. I just wanted to get 3c's talking about our routines to get some info that might be helpful. I love everyone here, but I can't relate to some people's routines. You asked a good question. I put conditioner in my hair as a leave-in too. My conditioning routine is: oil first, on damp hair, at least an hour, rinse with a bit of shampoo, Joico K-Pak PT for at least 30 mins, rinse, deep treatment conditioner (whatever is lying around - haven't found a specific one yet) for at least 30 mins, rinse and shampoo, apply a regular conditioner, comb through, get out of the shower and do styling products and so on. I slather it on very generously. I only started doing this recently and it's been like night and day for my hair - really addresses tangles and my hair feels so soft. I have an easier time combing it all week. And I have no problem
    Oh, besides Eluscence, I've left in KMS curl hydrator, Aveda Brilliant Conditioner, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, L'anza curls and colour and L'anza Be:Long and they're all excellent. I like thick conditioners and these are thick.

.png

534Pm5.png

Does Elucence have any petrochemicals or alcohol in it? I am trying to stay away from silicones.

br-flag1.gif
  • LrigyttiwLrigyttiw CaliforniaRegistered Users Posts: 66
    cehua wrote:
    Does Elucence have any petrochemicals or alcohol in it? I am trying to stay away from silicones.

I don't know what the petrochemicals is..but here are the ingredients:

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Benefits-Shampoo-p-36.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-benefits-shampoo]Moisture Benefits Shampoo[/buylink]:
    Extracts of Peach, Anise, Ginseng, Ginko and Brewer's Yeast in Purified Water. Sodium Myreth Sulfate (coconut oil derived), Sodium C14-C16 Olefin Sulfonate (mineral derived), Cocamide MEA (coconut oil derived), Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E, USP), Panthenol (provitamin B5, USP), Glycol Distearate (fatty acid derived), Polyquaternium-10 (polysaccharide cellulose), DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben (USP), Propylparaben (USP), Benzophenone-4 (UV light absorber), Fragrance, D&C Orange No. 4.

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Moisture Balancing Conditioner[/buylink]:
    Ginseng, Irish Moss, Brewer's Yeast, Gingko Biloba, Anise and Peach in purified water, Hexadeconal, Stearakonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Squalane (olive oil lipid), Capric-Caprillic Triglycerides (cocnut fatty acids), Panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5), Biotin (vitamin H, USP), Imidasolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben (USP) and Fragrance.

HTH
    3C (CG since: 4-19-09)
    member since 7-22-09
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://magic-hair.blogspot.com/
  • LrigyttiwLrigyttiw CaliforniaRegistered Users Posts: 66

I really don't know..I'm new at being a curly....1 yr relaxer free now..I never tried to grow my hair long when I was relaxed.. when I was in high school and college..I washed, blowdried, and curled my hair every single day and I remember in college I was maybe about 5 inches from brastrap maybe..and I got my haircut every 8 weeks..

I'd like my hair to be a few inches from brastrap unstretched..that's my goal..

I thought about going there..but I doubt I will..if I ever decide to do a texturizer(silkener) I will...but I hope I don't want to.. My goal is to go to Devachan for my haircuts when I'm at a good length.

-moisturizing
    -detangling
    -softening hair
    -shine

For Moisturizing..I really like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]Greg Juice[/buylink] I recently got in a swap!! I'll be ordering more..the best is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MB conditioner[/buylink] though..and I like Giovanni direct leave in or the 50:50!

My hair doesn't get tangled...I don't think it ever did..even when I was relaxed..

Softening hair.. not sure..I have alot of scab hair still.. nothing really helps that...

Coconut oil is good for shine.. so is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Shine-and-Define-Styling-Serum-p-253.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-shine-and-define-styling-serum]Oyin Shine and Define[/buylink]!

I have no clue what to do! I wear a baseball hat everyday..lol

I don't have thick hair.. I wish it was thicker..but I wouldn't want really thick hair...not for myself..it's nice on others.. :D

Pick?
    Comb?
    Brush?
    Wet or dry? How often?

Nope..I only comb my hair with my fingers..

Everyday! I might skip a sunday once in a while..but pretty much everyday..

6) Do you CG?

Sure do!!

9) What is your routine?

CW everyday...once a week I scalp wash with No Poo..I'm going to get some Low Poo to use like every 2 weeks or once a month.. then I put in some leave ins and if I have to go somewhere..put my hat on.. :lol:

That's it for me...
    3C (CG since: 4-19-09)
    member since 7-22-09
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://magic-hair.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for posting the Elucence ingredients RushGirl 8) .
    I love [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]Greg Juice[/buylink] too! I think that and the coconut oil is helping my hair detangle better.

br-flag1.gif
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    I don't have your hair type, Amneris, and have not been to the Curve salon, but I recall a fairly lengthy thread about them. My recollection is that their prices are astronomical, even for NYC. So I'd suggest pinning down a price if you call for an appointment, so you don't get a big sticker shock.
    Another q for the 3c's:
    How many of you have or have had texturizers/silkeners/softeners/wash and wears?
    I do (it hasn't been refreshed in 7 months though) - I use the KeraSoft wash and wear. I WAS feeling guilty about it and wondering if I should transition back to natural hair, which I have had before off and on. But I'm noticing that I can barely tell the difference by appearance between my natural and relaxed hair, and I have at least 4 inches of growth based on my measurements. The very top of my hair is straight or barely wavy for about half an inch (my second head of baby hair was in very soft, loose curls and my mama says that's the remainder of it.) After that, my roots are in tight S-waves like regular 3c hair. But I do not have nappy or kinky or fuzzy roots like a lot of people who relax, and maybe that's why it blends in so well. I can FEEL a difference - the new growth is thicker, coarser, bumpier and tangles more. But no one can tell which is regrowth - I asked a lot of my relatives and they were surprised it was 7 months. The other thing I've noticed is that my hair is starting to shrink shorter, which I don't like.
    So, given that relaxing gives me more length and manageability and very little change in the look of my hair, I should be able to transition easily without cutting my hair, but I also shouldn't feel guilty about the wash and wear. My hair is in good shape because I'm very careful about conditioning. And it feels much better than when I had a regular "light" relaxer. So, if I don't transition right now, I have nothing to feel guilty about... right?
    Anyone else have any input?

.png

534Pm5.png

• hope4longhope4long Registered Users Posts: 46
    ***1) What do you find is your optimum hair length? What is your maximum length?

I have below shoulder length and a middle back length will be awesome.

***2) Who here has been to Curve salon in Brooklyn? (the ones who sell [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink].) Never been there. tried the pudding once , can't judge yet ( thanks Cehua) .
    ***3) What products do you rate the highest for:
    -moisturizing
    -detangling
    -softening hair
    -shine

I love jessicurl conditioners and deep treatment. Trader's Joe, one conditioner and Optimum care stay strong conditioner.

***4) What methods do you use to counteract shrinkage?

I love braiding out, when I have time to let it dry compleletly before I unbraid anyway.
    ***5) Do you like your hair thick or do you try to reduce volume?

I like to control volume .
    ***6) Do you brush your hair?
    Pick?
    Comb?
    Brush?
    Wet or dry? How often?

I only comb my hair in the shower . I brush when I wear it in a ponytail to get a smooth sleek look( thanks Potterville for the brushing advice)
    ***7) How often do you wash your hair?
    Usually everyother day . Continued below>>>

***Do you CG?

Modified.Continued below>>>

***9) What is your routine?

I wash with regular shampoo once a month. wash with no pooh or avalon organic once a week. Every other day I co. wash . I'm still experimenting with styling products but now my fav. is styling cremes rather than gels.
    Continued below>>>

***A question of my own: How many of you guys leave all or some of your conditioner in your hair? Does it leave an icky film?

I MUST leave the conditioner in ( like %90 at least) then dry with my microfiber towel and apply leave in and then the styling products then I either let air dry, diffuse or braid and wait :lol:
    I think the conditoner that you can leave in has to be free from proteins like the one conditoner, jessiculs, trader's joe etc. As I heard, proteins are not meant to be left on the hair becouse they can dry it.
    ***How many of you have or have had texturizers/silkeners/softeners/wash and wears?
    Never had them.

Also I have a question of my own. *** Do you Plopp, scrunch, rake, flip your head upside down, shake or do any other techniques while applying your products?
    For me the answe is NO. If I did any of the previous, it only causes frizz for me. I think these techniques apply to wavies more, Am I right?

I hope I was clear.
    I always like threads that are devoted to 3C's. I think we have very unique type.
    :)
    3C thick corkscrewy baby fine hair. I have been on my HG (healthy Girl) routine since 10/04: no harsh shampoo, no heat (except for diffusing with low heat and DT),lots of moisture and few styling products.
    Hope4long, I agree - I don't plop, scrunch, rake or flip my head. NOOOO. Not for me. I love the volume of my hair, but it is madness when I do any of that. I just section and comb the products in. I think those techniques are to encourage curl in those with less. I don't get frizz, though, I thought that was more of a wavy thing too.
    I see there are other 3c's who brush - I don't feel so alone!!!!
    I agree we have a unique, cool hair type and it's fun to have a thread.

.png

534Pm5.png

• Kris KurlKris Kurl Registered Users Posts: 28
    I'm trying to grow my hair, but it's sooo frustrating because of the shrinkage. When wet it's so much longer, now bra strap length, and my old fringe is down to my shoulders when combed straight back from my forehead. However, when dry it springs back to off my shoulders, and the old fringe is halfway up the back of my head. I won't know what the optimum length is till I can get it to grow more! My hair is exceptionally curly for someone with a white European ethnic background.

I live in Scotland, so haven't ever had my hair cut in the USA!

I'm still trying out new products, so haven't found any favourites yet. I've just tried Boots, and was quite impressed when I used it on wet hair, but less so on dry hair. I've ordered some products from Sisay in the Netherlands, I hope they will have some effect. One of her products is supposed to loosen the curl a bit, so it will be interesting to see if it works.

I'm quite happy with thick hair, I just want to get rid of the triangle head. I never use a brush. I comb only when wet and conditioned. If I try to comb when it's dry/ing, it's just too tangled to get the comb through, and it breaks up the ringlets. I do use a comb on the roots at the front and underneath to get my hair into a pony tail, but never try to comb right through the length.

I haven't yet read Curly Girl (am waiting for another book that will be published next month so I can get them together from Amazon and get free delivery), so haven't (yet) abandoned shampoo. I wash my hair every 3 days, but only shampoo the roots. I use lots of conditioner, and leave it in while I wash myself in the shower, then rinse some of it out.

I'm still trying to find the right products to combat frizz. Yes, I get lots of frizz, I have a permanent halo! The damp air here makes it worse - rain and/or mist are hell for curlies here.

I haven't got a diffuser dyer, but I may get one. I air dry, but it takes ages.

I did get my hair relaxed once, but it was a WOT, because the stylist said I'd need to get it done twice to see any difference, but I came out in a rash (some conditioners do this to me too), so wasn't prepared to have it done again. It felt a bit softer for a short time, but it was still as curly, and I think it made the texture worse after a few weeks.

One of the products on order is Sahara Clay, which is supposed to relax the hair a little, though obviously not as much as chemical relaxers. (Sisay has another natural relaxer, but it's not recommended for light hair like mine, because it may discolour it.) I'm hoping it make help to make my curls looser.
    hope4long wrote:
    I MUST leave the conditioner in ( like %90 at least) then dry with my microfiber towel and apply leave in and then the styling products then I either let air dry, diffuse or braid and wait :lol:
    I think the conditoner that you can leave in has to be free from proteins like the one conditoner, jessiculs, trader's joe etc. As I heard, proteins are not meant to be left on the hair becouse they can dry it.
    How are you hope4long :D ?
    Now I understand why people told me not to leave in my conditioner. This makes a lot of since. How do you like Trader Joe's conditioner? I ordered from Curlmart Elucence and may try the Kenra Conditioner. These are both moisture not protein conditioners right?
    Amneris wrote:
    Hope4long, I agree - I don't plop, scrunch, rake or flip my head. NOOOO. Not for me. I love the volume of my hair, but it is madness when I do any of that. I just section and comb the products in. I think those techniques are to encourage curl in those with less. I don't get frizz, though, I thought that was more of a wavy thing too.
    I see there are other 3c's who brush - I don't feel so alone!!!!
    I agree we have a unique, cool hair type and it's fun to have a thread.

Same here. Scrunching gives me a lot of frizzy hair. I section my hair but use my fingers to apply the product. I tried plopping once. It did not work.
    Kris Kurl wrote:
    I haven't yet read Curly Girl (am waiting for another book that will be published next month so I can get them together from Amazon and get free delivery), .

This is the new book? I have been waiting for the updated version. By the way, bn.com ships faster than Amazon and it is free if the book is over $25 just like Amazon. But I doubt Lorraine's book will cost that much. You should check your local bookstore if you do not want to pay shipping costs.

This is a great thread. I am learning a lot. Thanks Amneris :P . By the way I just put conditioner and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]Greg Juice[/buylink] in my hair today. No frizzy or puffy hair today. It looks better than when I use CP.

br-flag1.gif
    Eluscence is moisturizing, not protein based as far as I know.
    Aveda Brilliant conditioner has the exact same ingredients as the universal styling creme that is a leave in. I think it's actually the same stuff as it looks, feels and smells the same, so it should by fine.
    KMS curl hydrator has the same products as the curl creme.
    L'anza and Paul Mitchell are moisturizing.

I would not leave in a cheaper, drugstore or grocery conditioner, because I think those are the ones that can wreck your hair due to quesitonable ingredients. All the ones above have made a huge difference to my hair when left in.

I read in Sophisticates Black Hairstyles a while back that there is little point in leaving conditioner on hair for 2-3 or 5 mins, especially with our hair type, because it can take at least 20-30 mins to penetrate the hair shaft and actually do anything (my hair is very porous, so I'm sure it doesn't take that long...) but that is a very good point.

.png

534Pm5.png

• PottervillePotterville Registered Users Posts: 137 Curl Connoisseur

My hair is currently below the base of my neck dry and to my bra strap wet. I would like it to be bra strap length dry and that's what I'm working towards.

I've never been to Curve and don't like the idea of straightening my hair to cut it. I will NEVER straighten my hair.

-moisturizing
    -detangling
    -softening hair
    -shine

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner[/buylink] for moisture, detangling and softening. One Condition for detangling on really bad days...coloring my roots days. Clear products (gels) work best for shine. My hair is jet black so color in products dulls it easily.

I used to try to counteract it, but I don't like a lot of heat and I find I like my shrinkage more and more.

Love my thick thick THICK hair and will never reduce volume.

Pick?
    Comb?
    Brush?
    Wet or dry? How often?

I comb and brush my hair wet with conditioner almost everyday and brush products through. The brushing helps clump my hair and makes sure I cover every strand.

I conditioner wash every day and use ACV or Creme of Nature shampoo once a week.

8) Do you CG?

Kinda sorta :lol: , but I have found SLS free shampoos that work.

9) What is your routine?

I conditioner wash every morning (wash/claify on weekends) add conditioner comb and then brush in sections. If I'm wearing a bun I just squeeze some of the conditioner out and put a turbie twist on my head while I dry, brush it out upside down, add gel to the top and back and then use a boar bristle brush to slick back into a bun. If I wear it out, I rinse all of my conditioner out and add whatever product I'm using in sections brushing each section as I go. After my product is applied, I put it up in a pineapple, put a shower cap on while I dry off and then brush upside down and I'm done. Some days I may diffuse to get the "crust" started, but I prefer to air dry. Once dry and this takes 10 or more hours, I de-crunch. I have to have crunch to set my hair. I have waves and then curls, with some straightish pieces and a few cork screws. I deep condition once a week with Elucence or Aubrey Organics GPB (always go back to GPB) and add olive oil, jojoba oil or Elucence to my hair at night.
    VERY THICK 3c/3b -Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap to Shampoo or Elucence Cond. daily/dt, Cantu Shea Butter Leave In to style.

http://potterville.wordpress.com/
    Potterville, I hope you don't get tired of me saying that I love your hair, because I do!
    And you have a lot, like me. I haven't seen many other people with this amount. I'm so glad you love it like that and leave it alone. I started doing that, too.
    Our hair is the same colour, too - mine is really dark.
    I wish I could say we're hair twins, but unfortunately our curls are different - mine is more cork screw-y (I can make it look kinda like yours, but it's really not.)

.png

534Pm5.png

• PottervillePotterville Registered Users Posts: 137 Curl Connoisseur
    Thank Amneris, that's really sweet of you. I've tried to fight the volume, but realized that I look better if I just let it be the width it wants to be. I really thought I had corkscrew curls when I was transitioning and was really upset to find I didn't. I still get upset sometimes, but I have to learn to love what I have and I'm very close.

You need to post pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Slight hint :wink:
    VERY THICK 3c/3b -Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap to Shampoo or Elucence Cond. daily/dt, Cantu Shea Butter Leave In to style.

http://potterville.wordpress.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file