any athletes in the room?

afrochickafrochick Posts: 235Registered Users
I'm not sure why, but I am a really slow swimmer. I have been swimming on a summer team for about 3 years and 2 yrs. in high school. A few people my age only recently started an they are much faster than me. Even people younger than me are faster. I'm guessing that just like some people are just naturally gifted in certain areas, some are naturally not. I'm hoping that there might be another reason so there is some hope for me because i really love swimming. any suggestions?
3c/4a, hooray!

Beloved Products:
Condish:Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends (Deep Treatment), Garnier length and strength
Cleansers:Bee Mine Moisturizing Botanicals Shampoo, Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo
Style:Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Hair Whip, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    afrochick wrote:
    I'm not sure why, but I am a really slow swimmer. I have been swimming on a summer team for about 3 years and 2 yrs. in high school. A few people my age only recently started an they are much faster than me. Even people younger than me are faster. I'm guessing that just like some people are just naturally gifted in certain areas, some are naturally not. I'm hoping that there might be another reason so there is some hope for me because i really love swimming. any suggestions?

Speed isn't everything. Maybe you're a distance swimmer, rather than a sprinter?

I swim only for exercise and recreation, not competition...I'd love to join a master's team and just practice with them, but not compete. I always wear swim fins, because I'm slow. I may be slow, but I can go for miles.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    RCW has a great point. Everyone thought I was so slow, but in reality I was much better at distance.
    I was on the swim team in high school and you're also right: some people were just naturally quicker than others.
    You can check at the pool to see if there are any stroke clinics so someone can analyze how you're swimming and help you streamline.
    One thing I noticed on the fastest swimmers was their legs were powerful. When doing the crawl they didn't kick 4 beats but 2. Some people put a ton of energy in kicking which leaves not much attention on the arm strokes.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • RichardHeadRichardHead Banned Posts: 629Banned Users
    It's easy. Kick your feet out of the water every time. Long powerful strides with your arms, not short, wimpy, girl strides.
  • popcornpopcorn Posts: 212Registered Users
    I feel hopeless in the water, so am trying the Total Immersion plan. I'm not that far into it, but I really like the idea. (That it's a learnable skill, verses something you just power through.)

Might be something to look into.
    Danielle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file