So Mad! Ingredients. Help.

2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
I just bought some Graham Webb Making Waves Curl Defining Gel. It had been used on my hair at a salon and I loved it.

So, I'm home now and looking at the ingredient list and I'm so sad, mad and confused. What the heck is LAURETH SULFATE doing in my gel? And where the heck is my 'evil' emoticon.....(just kidding! :evil: )

So how bad is this crap that I was so excited about? Should I even use it?

WATER (AQUA/EAU), ELYCERIN, STEARETH-10 ALLYL ETHER/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, IMIDAZOUDINYL UREA, METHYLPARABEN, TETRAS ODIUM EDTA, PROPYLPARABEN PANTHENOL, POTASSIUM SORBATE, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM), SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, ALLIANTOIN, MYRISTYL ALCOHOL, MICA, LIMONENE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, UNALOOL, HYDROLYZED SILK, PHENOXYETHANOL, LAURDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, BUTYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN.

Disclaimer - Could contain some serious typo's! I had to type that out myself, as all the ingredient lists I found online didn't say the same as my bottle. Plus, they say it's alcohol free right on the bottle - yet, I see the word alcohol.....
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
Location - WI

Comments

• realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    That's weird about the SLS.
    Also- do you have a protein sensitivity? B/c if I'm not mistaken there are 2 proteins in there. I'm not sure if myristyl alcohol is drying or not...
    I would return that gel if you can.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • tycho19tycho19 Registered Users Posts: 805
    I wouldnt worry too much, it is under "fragrance" so my guess is that it is just a tiny amount, used as a surfactant.
    2B/2C wavy
    Don't Breed and Buy While Shelter Dogs Die - Adopt your next best friend!
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    tycho19 wrote:
    I wouldnt worry too much, it is under "fragrance" so my guess is that it is just a tiny amount, used as a surfactant.

ITA. The Back to Basics curl gel has it too, and I know some on CG use it with no problems.

Also miristyl alcohol is a fatty alcohol, so you're good on that one. :toothy7:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Registered Users Posts: 1,443
    No worries. Since it's under the fragrance, it's a very small amount and suggests it's being used as an emulsifier (to keep the ingreds all mixed together).

I don't see anything in this gel that would prevent me from trying it (and I'm pretty picky). When I tried it before, I found it didn't have enough hold for me and turned poofy, even in cool temps.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
    Thanks everyone. So, Laurabeth, would you call it CG friendly? Hey, maybe with the built in sulfate, it will co wash out :idea: .

Like I said, it was used on me once, and she mixed it together with a leave in condish (really mixed it well, like you said) and I had the fattest curls I've ever had (and the only time). It didn't make my hair curlier (not curl enhancing), but it held what I have perfectly all day - frizz free. It was quite humid that day and I even ran through the rain.

Also, I'm not good with reading ingredients - what are the proteins - is it heavy in protein?

I think I'm going to go for it tomorrow (already at work today)!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • galagala Registered Users Posts: 16
    The proteins are also way down at the bottom of the list, and myristyl alcohol is one of the fatty alcohols (like cetyl, stearyl, cetearyl) which are actually emollient.....but what worries me is the 6th ingred., potassium hydroxide, a.k.a. LYE! Now lye used in soap-making is fine, as it evaporates during the curing, but I don't think it could be anything but bad in a gel.
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Registered Users Posts: 1,443
    water (aqua/eau)
    glycerin—humecant (moisture), can boost curls
    steareth-10 allyl ether/acrylates copolymer—hold ingred
    hydroxyethylcellulose—moisture
    peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil—sealant, can build up in some or look producty, water-soluble b/c of the “peg”
    potassium hydroxide—alkalyne pH balancer
    dizaolidinylurea, methylparaben, tetrasodium edta, propylparaben—preservatives
    panthenol—moisture
    potassium sorbate—not sure
    fragrance (parfum)
    sodium laureth sulfate—emulsifier
    alliantoin—moisture
    myristyl alcohol—fatty alcohol
    mica—sparklies, can burrow into skin and cause breakouts in some
    limonene—fragrance-oil
    titanium dioxide—sunscreen
    linalool—fragrance-oil
    hydrolyzed silk—protein but way down in ingred rank so no worries
    phenoxyethanol—preservative
    laurdimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed wheat protein—protein but way down in ingred rank so no worries
    butylparaben, ethylparaben—preservative

The leave-in being combined with gel probably was the reason for the great curls. Then again, different curls and climates get different results.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
    It's official Laurabeth - Your the best!

:notworthy:
    Location - WI

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file