Unfulfilled Desires

CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Even though we may have good lives, there are always going to be desires that have to take a back seat to the business of that life. What are yours?

Mine...I have a wanderlust that is being sorely neglected. Aaaah, to travel the world. I'd also love to learn to speak many languages.

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I wanted to have a baby and it didn't happen. Obviously I'm not going to die because I didn't have a kid, but it is something that I'll always be sad about, despite my overall happiness with my life.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    sex. :male: :female:
    3b-3c CG
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote:
    I wanted to have a baby and it didn't happen. Obviously I'm not going to die because I didn't have a kid, but it is something that I'll always be sad about, despite my overall happiness with my life.

I'm afraid that this will be me in a few years. I always wanted to be a mom, and I'm scared that it won't ever happen.

In totally selfish terms, I have this desire to quit my job and pack up all of my stuff and move to either London (I love it there) or to Moorea (or Bora Bora). I've always had this fantasy of just moving to a foreign country and trying to make a go of it....obviously it hasn't happened and I doubt I'll ever do it. But it's always something that's in the back of my mind, especially when my life is all sorts of messed up.
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wanted to travel more in my youth...now my youth is gone and I'm probably going to have to wait til retirement. I hope I hold out long enough to see everything I want to see.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I was a kid I wanted to run away and join the circus, seriously a contortionist or trapeze or just an acrobat. But my parents told me I couldn't because all those girls where double jointed and had natural flexablity. I found out too late it was a myth. And I actually do have some natural flexible joints.

Also gymnastics, and ballet, although I think there are some places that teach ballet for adults.

Travel and learn languages and about other cultures and their histories, I'm trying with the learning part, but it can be hard with kids.
  • gggg Posts: 1,865Registered Users
    quickcurl wrote:
    I've always had this fantasy of just moving to a foreign country and trying to make a go of it....obviously it hasn't happened and I doubt I'll ever do it. But it's always something that's in the back of my mind, especially when my life is all sorts of messed up.

I did it and it was the best time of my life. I knew I wanted to do it and kept putting it off for months when I did finally decide. The hardest step was just setting the date to leave and sticking to it. It's not too late if you're still single and have no other responsibilities except yourself I'd do it.
    You don't have to blow out my flame to make yours burn brighter.

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    quickcurl wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:

I'm afraid that this will be me in a few years. I always wanted to be a mom, and I'm scared that it won't ever happen.

In totally selfish terms, I have this desire to quit my job and pack up all of my stuff and move to either London (I love it there) or to Moorea (or Bora Bora). I've always had this fantasy of just moving to a foreign country and trying to make a go of it....obviously it hasn't happened and I doubt I'll ever do it. But it's always something that's in the back of my mind, especially when my life is all sorts of messed up.

Oh do it!!!! I just moved across the Country (not nearly as exciting as Bora Bora!) but so exciting & exhilarating to just start over somewhere new!!!

I have a friend who owns a bar on Moorea if you're looking for a job!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn

I have a friend who owns a bar on Moorea if you're looking for a job!

Hook me up please!

• tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    quickcurl wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:

Not trying to stick my nose where it doesn't belong but if it doesn't happen biologically, one can always adopt or be a foster parent.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    For me it would be traveling. I've traveled a good bit for work, but not always to places I would choose. By the time I was earning enough money to spend more on travel, I met my BF who never has enough time off from work to travel. And now I'm tied to home, because I really can't go far away from my elderly father who needs my help on a regular basis.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wanted to be a clothing designer and start my own label. I had the talent and opportunity to do it. But I squandered them and went in a different direction w/ my career. And at this point, I'm not willing to start all over; it just wouldn't be practical and I no longer have the energy and drive I had as a teenager/young adult. Oh well, I can still make clothes for myself and my kids, I guess. It's not exactly the same thing but it is a creative outlet.

• PoochiePoochie Posts: 315Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Like PH, I wanted a baby. Also to be happily married, but it hasn't happened.
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    I've had dreams of opening an upscale bakery and/or restaurant but I've spent all of my energy and time on family and a corporate career. I guess I wasn't willing to give up time and a nice gig to follow my passion.

Also, having a husband and kids, I haven't travelled as much as I would have otherwise. It's not been easy to squeeze the trips in.

Thirdly, I 've had thoughts of leaving the corp. world and moving over to a non-profit. Realistically, don't know if I could handle the cut in copensation and perks. I know a few folks who have done this and they seem sooo happy :bounce: :bounce: !!

I'll still be relatively young once my kids are grown and I look forward to pursuing some of these dreams at that time.
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    I want to take a cruise. I have harassed M2LR about details regarding hers in the past, yet I STILL have NOT gone on a cruise. I think I'd rather wait until Tyson is older though and could either accompany me with less tantrums or stay with someone else without me worrying as much.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Meghuney wrote:
    I want to take a cruise. I have harassed M2LR about details regarding hers in the past, yet I STILL have NOT gone on a cruise. I think I'd rather wait until Tyson is older though and could either accompany me with less tantrums or stay with someone else without me worrying as much.

Go, WOMAN!!! You can go on a short one thru the gulf, I bet, pretty inexpensive.

Guess I shouldn't brag that hubby and I won a cruise to Cabo and we are going in September? :wink: :blackeye:
    :rambo:
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    tgreyz wrote:
    quickcurl wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:

Not trying to stick my nose where it doesn't belong but if it doesn't happen biologically, one can always adopt or be a foster parent.

I'm sure that people who struggle with infertility have explored ALL their options. I think you meant well but this can come across as hurtful or insensitive.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • CsaracCsarac Posts: 861Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Since I turned 18 I have always wanted to get in a car, with only my dog and drive across the country - from Brooklyn, NY to California. I wanted to stop in every small town and honky tonk that caught my eye, meeting whoever was nice enough to talk. Just for the heck of it or maybe find someplace I liked so much I would stay, who knows. I get an ache in my heart when I see the scenery in "Thelma and Louise." I love the desert.

My dog is long gone and with two small kids under the age of 4 and a hubby and house to take care of, it's not happening.

Despite being happy overall with my marriage and my life in general, I regret that I never did it.
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've also wanted to move to another country..seems like its getting harder and harder now. Not impossible yet but getting older and tied down to a boy.
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

Go, WOMAN!!! You can go on a short one thru the gulf, I bet, pretty inexpensive.

Guess I shouldn't brag that hubby and I won a cruise to Cabo and we are going in September? :wink: :blackeye:

You evil, evil woman! :angryfire:

LOL! No, that's GREAT! What cruiseline are you going on?

Yeah, I've done some research on the ones around my area (leaving from Galveston or Houston). They are pretty cheap. I think I may plan for one next year. I just don't want to leave Tyson with anyone for 4 days. I really don't. But I know if I take him, I may lose my mind by the end of the first day.
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

Meg,

You are so lucky to have the port right down there with you!!!

I did one with a GF out of Galveston a couple of years ago and it was only $100/day per person - including our roundtrip airfare from Dallas. We had a nice external cabin with a balcony too.

It was my 3rd cruise, but she had never gone on 1 b4 and was dying to go. So worth it - we had great fun!!
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
    I have seen some for $275 - $379 per person out of Galveston for a 4 day. That would be perfect. I guess just finding someone to watch my son! My mom is in law school on top of working 50 hour weeks so she would be out of the question for now. I'm going to figure this out though if for nothing else than to have better cruise stories to tell than M2LR. :happy2:
    Meghuney wrote:
    I have seen some for $275 - $379 per person out of Galveston for a 4 day. That would be perfect. I guess just finding someone to watch my son! My mom is in law school on top of working 50 hour weeks so she would be out of the question for now. I'm going to figure this out though if for nothing else than to have better cruise stories to tell than M2LR. :happy2:

Oh wish I was closer - I'd watch your little one - assuming you'd allow me :laughing9: . My kids are gone for the summer and I've been watching non-stop HGTV!!
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Meg - definitely go!

And when you go, and there's a fancy schmancy restaurant, eat at it once! This year on The Rock Boat my cabinmates and I went to dinner, and it was amazing. It would have been well over $100/person at a restaurant in a big city, yet was $20 + gratuities each.

I know some of the cruise lines have daycares, if you don't feel comfortable leaving Tyson with anyone while you go. And whatever you want to do, it's possible to find a cruise which fits your tastes!

The Rock Boat is going to be awesome next year when we have port stops at Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. My friend Cathy and I are super excited to go horsebackriding on the beach in Jamaica!

ETA: My unfulfilled desire is to spend two years riding horses/taking lessons in Germany. If I really, REALLY wanted to do it, I could manage to save up the money to be able to afford a sabbatical of some length and go do it, but really if I had that amount of money beyond what I need for retirement planning, etc., I'd rather give it to charity or start a charity anyway...
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • nadinanadina Posts: 640Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i want a baby really badly right now too. first, i'll work on the relationship part. :idea:

i always wanted to be a writer when i was younger. i think it's a matter of time before i start on this novel project idea i've had. watch out now. :)
    I want to run with the bulls in Pamplona Spain. I've made tentative plans like saying next year I will do it then for whatever reason I don't really get to serious planning. One day I will go and that's a promise.

• SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I never got to live by myself. I always had roommates and then I met my now DH.
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I knew I couldn't be the only one.

I just thought of another that I'm surprised I forgot...Dancing. Love the way it feels, so I dance for pleasure. But boy would I have liked to perform! If SYTYCD had been on when I was 18 I would have auditioned. That's not to say I would have made it, but whatever.

or81f9.gif
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sigi wrote:
    I never got to live by myself. I always had roommates and then I met my now DH.

Me either.
    I don't know if I would call it an unfulfilled desire,but it sure would have been fun:)

I always wanted a horse,though
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Mar wrote:

You have time for that!!!!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    NetG wrote:
    Mar wrote:

You have time for that!!!!

My city lot is too small ;)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji