Dry/brittle hair

I am so sad. My hair is becoming so dry and brittle this summer. I can't quite understand why. I have been using Jessicurl products and my hair is really not doing well with them anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions of products that will help my hair come out of this dry and brittle stage? I am noticing a lot of breakage. :scratch:
3B, Fine, Low Porosity, & High Hair Density

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    It could be the protein. Jessicurl is very low protein, but still has it. Try some no protein and see what happens...
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlybeancurlybean Registered Users Posts: 66
    Or...could it be because of the lack of protein? How can you tell?
  • missy60missy60 Registered Users Posts: 351
    This website is excellant to tell what your hair needs http://p069.ezboard.com/fblackbeautyblackhair86911frm13.showMessage?topicID=652.topic. I now know what treatment to use on my hair it explains it so well
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe it's the oils?
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
    curlybean wrote:
    Or...could it be because of the lack of protein? How can you tell?

Trial and error. You could try protein free or oil free for a week or two and see how your hair changes. If it gets drier, maybe you need a higher protein. If it helps, then it helps.

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Do her products contain magnesium sulfate? I seem to remember someone saying they did.

Oh well, get a trim and try some new products. :wink:

missy60 wrote:
    This website is excellant to tell what your hair needs http://p069.ezboard.com/fblackbeautyblackhair86911frm13.showMessage?topicID=652.topic. I now know what treatment to use on my hair it explains it so well

This sounds like an interesting thread, but I couldn't get the link to work. :sign6:

I couldn't get the thread to work either.

Jessicurl products do contain magnesium sulfate. I know that is contributing to my problem.

I'm thinking of going off of cg for a while. I went to the beauty store last night and they suggested the Redken Extreme line. Has anyone tried that? I'm a little worried about the ingredients, but the gal there said it was terrific.
  • tycho19tycho19 Registered Users Posts: 805
    One thing that works for me when my hair feels brittle is to put a small amount of Ojon (the treatment stuff in the jar) on it overnite, then low poo out in the AM. I only use a very small amount, just enough for a lite coating. HTH!
    2B/2C wavy
    Don't Breed and Buy While Shelter Dogs Die - Adopt your next best friend!
  • MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    As the other posters wrote, it might be protein but I also find that any products with magnesium sulfate dry my hair out terrible after just a few uses. That's why I stopped using Jessicurl :sad1:
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
    It is an excellant site I dont understand why it wont work I have it book marked and I can go to it from there. I just cant go to it from the link I put on here. Let me try it again http://p069.ezboard.com/fblackbeautyblackhair86911frm13.showMessage?topicID=652.topic
    Ok the link works now I just posted it and tried it
    I have used the Redkin Extreme line when my hair was damaged and it done great. I wasnt really wearing my hair curly at the time though. I still use the shampoo when I use one because its very gentle even if the ingredients arent the best. I dont think the ingredients are CG though but it seemed very gentle to me.
    Wonderful! Thank you everyone for your reply's I appreciate it!!!
  • lockenheadlockenhead Registered Users Posts: 16
    if you want to try a product with protein then i can recommend "cholesterol" maybe you have heard of it before
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
    missy60 wrote:
    It is an excellant site I dont understand why it wont work I have it book marked and I can go to it from there. I just cant go to it from the link I put on here. Let me try it again http://p069.ezboard.com/fblackbeautyblackhair86911frm13.showMessage?topicID=652.topic

This is a great article. You should make a main post about it (copy, paste, whatever). I can see the potential for long term bumping!!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • jeamariajeamaria Registered Users Posts: 1,851
    2happy wrote:
    missy60 wrote:

This is a great article. You should make a main post about it (copy, paste, whatever). I can see the potential for long term bumping!!

I agree- it's really informative and reader-friendly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file