Hair changes from house to work

RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
I have been noticing lately that when I leave my house to go to work my hair looks one way but by the time I get to work it looks different. Sometimes better, most of the time not. I don't think it is a drying issue because my hair is almost completely dry when I leave for work and I am in an air conditioned car all the way to work and then I park in a garage so I am only outside for 3 to 4 minutes max. It's just crazy! And it drives me nuts because my hair looks so nice when I leave the house and then has a messier, sometimes frizzier look by the time I get to work.

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else?
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    For me, it's that the mirror in my master bathroom always makes my hair look its best. So sometimes I'll think I'm having a great hair day, then I'll see myself in a mirror someplace else and cringe.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    OMG, I love you both :laughing9: ! I posted this awhile back and rest assured there are others that live among us in the Hair Twilight Zone :wink: . This happens to me all the time!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • DashnWinkDashnWink Registered Users Posts: 34
    Good to know it's not just me! My husband thinks I am nuts......:)
    HG products: VO5 Tea therapy condish, RE:COIL and LA LOOKS Sport gel!

Password: CurlyQ

When I have a good hair day, I try to think of places to go (to show it off)...:)
  • allicatallicat Registered Users Posts: 134
    LOL I have the same problem, and it really pisses me off LOL Wind especially effects my hair, since my strands are fine (but I have lots of hair). I feel much better knowing that I am not alone in this!
    CG
    3a-ish & fine stranded, Botticelli type curls
    Currently using low poo/no poo & Ouidad Stylers
    http://public.fotki.com/allishags/
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    I usually have to opposite problem, hair drab and boring during the day when I have to go out, and looks it's best right before bed.

Having curls certainly is an adventure.
  • sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    cympreni wrote:
    Having curls certainly is an adventure.

Truer words...

"Adventure" is probably the best word to describe having curly hair.

This happens to me a lot. The best guess I have is that even slight changes in the environment, wind, humidity level and so on can actually leave a noticeable effect. So the car ride, walking into work, maybe it does have an effect. But I also agree with the mirror thought as something to consider.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    Thank god I am not the only one :cheers: I mentioned it to a co worker one day and she looked at me like I was nuts.

It definitely could be the mirror as well. Our restrooms have harsh flourescent (sp?) lightning and my bathroom at home does not so there could be a difference there.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Is it humid where you live? Your hair may be fine at home and get frizzier as you go through the humidity outside.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    It is humid but usually it does not affect my hair all that much. Just lately I have noticed a big difference.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    This is a great thread! I can't even make it out of the house without noticing a difference in my hair. Mine will look great in the master bathroom and then when I come down and check it in the downstairs bathroom before I leave for work, it's.. ACK! I should just stick with the master bathroom mirror and never look at myself anywhere else and live in ignorant bliss!

Of course, on those frequent days when it looks like crap in the good mirror, then it's really a BAD day! :sad8:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    msgiblet wrote:
    Of course, on those frequent days when it looks like crap in the good mirror, then it's really a BAD day! :sad8:

I know that's right! :wav: (ok I just wanted to use that emoticon, lol)
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    My hair continues to morph throughout the day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
    Brio wrote:
    My hair continues to morph throughout the day.

Ditto :banghead:
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • mayimmayim Registered Users Posts: 2,301
    humidity was certainly doing this for me lately. i started leaving in more conditioner (especially on the canopy) and that solved the problem.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Registered Users Posts: 370
    msgiblet wrote:
    This is a great thread! I can't even make it out of the house without noticing a difference in my hair. Mine will look great in the master bathroom and then when I come down and check it in the downstairs bathroom before I leave for work, it's.. ACK! I should just stick with the master bathroom mirror and never look at myself anywhere else and live in ignorant bliss!

It's the same with me. It's so frustrating! :scratch:
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    No truer thread was ever started. I had to go into the office yesterday...so of course it looked good when I left the house but by the time I go to the office out come some jaw clips because my bangs (which are chin length and should know they are not bangs anymore) were hanging in my face and the rest was all fuzzy and messy. Of course most of the time I work from home - much better hair - go figure!

And yes, I have the two mirror problem as well - looks good upstairs, horrible downstairs and for some reason always looks good in the rearview mirror in my car but when I get to a real mirrior I am in shock at how bad it looks. :dontknow:

By the way - Hi msgiblet - I was wondering about you the other day!!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • PrettyPorcupinePrettyPorcupine Registered Users Posts: 258
    Mine always looks gorgeous when I'm sitting around at home with nobody to see it. And always looks its worst when I'm on public trans on the way to work, when it's wet and I look like a drowned rat, or in the office, where the mirror in the office bathroom shows every split end, every gray hair, and every spot of frizz, and my attempts to fix it result in Brillo Pad.

It's the devil's hair.

:angry3:
    Modified CG. You'll pry my 'cones from my cold dead fingers! Mixed waves, coarse, below shoulder length, dark brown. I hate my hair :evil: but I'm trying to learn to accept it.

Gels: LA Looks Wet Look Styling Gel, Garnier Fructis Wet Shine Gel. Condish: Alberto V05 Free Me Fresia, Tresemme' Flawless Curls, LVPNG, Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Shampoo: Tresemme' Flawless Curls. Silicone Serum: Whatever is on sale, but I don't leave home without it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file