Hungry or Habit

inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Chas is waking up every morning around 4:00 A.M. for a bottle. Sometimes he asks for one sometimes not. I've gotten into the habit of just fixing one. It seems like to me though at 11 1/2 months he should be able to go longer than 8 hours???

Am I not giving him enough during the day of milk and food to satisfy him?

Nurses: I top him off with 4 oz bottle
Breakfast (yogurt or cereal and fruit)
After Nap - 8 oz bottle formula
Lunch of veggie and fruit around 1 1/2 jars
snack ( veggie and fruit) equals 1/2 jar
snack 11 oz formula.
Dinner..veggies, fruit, now adding in people food...eats till he's full.
Before Bed 11 oz formula.

Is 11 oz normal for a kid his age?
Thanks for you insight!!!

Comments

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I don't have experience with a child that age, but my instinct is that it's more of a habit. My DS has often gone 11 or 12 hours through the night without a feed for the past month or two. When he started sleeping better, I did try to increase his ounces of formula/breastmilk during the day, at least for my own peace of mind.
    ehLB.jpg
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Steven has never been a really great eater, but this is his schedule (he is 10 months so a little yonger)

morning up and about 3 oz (7am)
    breakfast - yogurt or cereal with fruit (9 am)
    snack - 3-4 oz bottle (11 am)
    Lunch - 1 fruit and 1 veggie (12-1)
    snack - 3-4 oz(3pm)
    snack - 3-4 oz (5pm)
    dinner - dinner meal and fruit or fruit and veggies depending on his mood (7pm)
    dessert - ice cream (like 1 scoop) (7:30p)
    before bed - 3-4 oz bottle (9pm)
    midnight feed - 3-4 oz bottle (12-1ish am)

So he eats about 5 jars of food and about 15-20 oz of formula a day (although i think it averages out to about 16oz)

We also still give him a midnight bottle, he eats the best at night, and since he is on a diaretic, i don't like him going long without any liquids. Thaty is the sole reason he sleeps until 7-9am, if we skip that bottle, he is up at 4-5am
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    You could try giving him more solid food throughout the day and maybe a snack before bed (like animal crackers) with formula on the side instead of just formula. That might hold him over until morning better. When my son increased his solid food, his need for milk went way down. HTH.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It sounds like he's ready for more FOOD food and less liquids. My dd never made it up to 11 oz of formula, and was off formula and onto milk and food by 11 months (I know everyone does this differently but we started introducing food at six months and I think we started to move from formula to milk around ... maybe nine? I know she was onto milk and food by one year because her ped said to get her off the bottle by one year - not that I did. She just gave up the bottle like two weeks ago).

I am not working, I'm home with S all the time, so in a lot of ways I haven't felt much pressure to stick to timelines...I really introduce things and let her lead the way. If a 4 am bottle helped her sleep a few more hours (and let ME sleep) I would find it hard to justify giving it up. But that's me. I'm all about the sleep.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's probably habit, but its up to you how you deal with it.

My almost 2 year old still wakes up for a bottle of milk at night. But he is skinny and a terrible eater and I'd rather sleep than sleep-train right now so he gets his bottle and we all go back to bed happy.

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for all the help. I'll try adding a snack before bedtime. We are working on moving off baby food to solid food. I have a feeling it's going to be a long process. Last night he woke up at 3:00 A.M. but I knew this was going to happen because he pretty much refused to eat dinner because he was so tired. I just made a bottle and gave it to him. He slept on till 7:00.

Another question...totally off subject. Does your child cry out in the night..? We had the monitor on last night and about every hour i heard Chas cry out but then he would go back to sleep. I know this is normal when they are going to sleep...does this just happen when they are in an active sleep mode?
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Another question...totally off subject. Does your child cry out in the night..? We had the monitor on last night and about every hour i heard Chas cry out but then he would go back to sleep. I know this is normal when they are going to sleep...does this just happen when they are in an active sleep mode?

Yep. Some kids are noisy sleepers.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Steven is a very noisey sleeper. Most of the time i don't even have the sound on the monitor anymore since it keeps me up too. when he is awake he cries and i can hear him in our room next door.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    At his age he should be able to eat pretty much what you're eating. They can mash up food pretty well w/ their gums, so even if he doesn't have much for teeth he can still eat it.

When they're babies I usually incorporate cereal into their dinner, so that they have some starch to fill them up. When they're older I would do things like rice, or potatoes, or pasta, and of course a veg. Not always a fruit.

Generally I would do fruit and cereal + milk or formula of course, for breakfast, a snack, veggies and fruit for lunch, a snack after nap, and whatever we were having for dinner, and then a bedtime bottle.

If you're stuck on what to give him to eat, look at what the Gerber graduates meals have in them. But you never really have to give them baby food. Pretty much people food in age appropriate sizes is all.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file