My morning (Funny, but long)

IndianCurlsIndianCurls Posts: 54Registered Users
Last night I was fast asleep when I felt something hit my pillow. I opened my eyes and was wondering what it was. Lately I have found a couple weird-looking flying insects in my room, so I thought maybe it was that. It was dark so I couldn't see anything, but I brushed it off my pillow and heard it fall on the floor. When I brushed it off it felt big, and I said to myself, "Eew, that's a big bug!" like maybe it was a dragonfly or something. So I laid there and then I heard a squeaking-clicking noise, and then I thought, "Crap, it's a mouse!" because I heard from the other girls who live in the house that they had a mouse problem a while ago. (I live in an apartment in a house.)

And then I look around the room and it's still dark though there is some light shining through my window, and I see something black flashing around the room. I couldn't tell if it was a shadow of something from outside, or if it was a big moth. So I go across the room, turn on the light, and see what it is. I scream in sheer terror.

I see, flying in slow circles around my room, a big black bat. I am ducking as I scream, "Oh my God! Oh my God!" and then the door slams shut behind me as I run downstairs.

I am sitting in the living room, terrified that it will sneak its way out of the room and follow me downstairs. It took me a few minutes to compose myself enough to think clearly, and then I knocked on one girl's door and asked to use her cellphone. I called the landlord, who didn't pick up so I left a voicemail. And then I called my parents. My dad said to call 911, so I did, and the operator said, "Did you try opening the windows?" I replied in a five-year-old voice, "I don't want to go back in there because I am scared of it!" To which she said, "Well, the police don't come to get bats out of rooms." And then she gave me a couple of numbers for animal control, but both of the numbers were disconnected. Then I called 2-1-1, which is United Way's help line, and their operator said the same thing about opening the windows, like this sort of thing happens all the time. She gave me some numbers for 24-hour animal control services, so I called them but they were charging $130 to remove the bat and I felt that my landlord shoud pay for that, so I called my landlord again, but he still didn't pick up. He did call back, though, and told me to turn off the light and open the windows (Why don't these people understand that I am not going to go back into a room with a bat flying around to open my windows?) so I asked him to come over to do it and he did, but boy, he was not happy about it. By this time it was 6 in the morning.

He only managed to get one window open but he came back down and told me I shouldn't have left the light on because now the bat is scared and is hiding in my room. And it won't fly out because by the time my landlord came over to open the windows, it was getting lighter outside and that's when bats sleep. He said that I should leave the windows open tonight and *hopefully* it will fly out. And then I asked, "How did it get in?" and he said, "There are a million ways for them to get in. They only need a half-inch of crawling space to get in," which was not very comforting. I think that it either got in through the vents or it came in through the front door and slipped in under my door. And then I asked him, "If I leave my window open, won't more bats fly in?" He said, "Bats won't fly in, they only fly out" which didn't make sense to me, but he left before I had a chance to ask him what that meant.

I sat in the living room for an hour and a half after that, until I finally mustered up the courage to go back up to my room to get ready for work. I grabbed some clothes quickly and changed in the bathroom, being careful not to make any loud movements to awaken the bat because I didn't want it to come flying at me again. My dad advised me to shield myself with a pillow when I walk in, because it could fly towards my head. (He has a way of giving me advice that isn't as helpful as it is successful in making me even more nervous and scared.) I didn't see the bat, because it was of course hiding. But I changed quickly and got the hell out of there. I'm staying at my cousin's place tonight and I am not going back there until tomorrow during the day, when the bat should be gone.

So that has been my day so far. I'm at work right now, but as usual I am not doing actual work. I truly hope I never have a night like that again!
Black, shoulder length 3B

Law Student at Wayne State University, Class of 2010

Comments

  • chgurlsngchgurlsng Posts: 137Registered Users
    Ok, please please don't take this as being mean but: :lol:

    I awoke one morning to find a bat hanging from my curtain rod... my little sister decided to take it to our homeschool science fair that just so happened to occur that day (she was 6 and didn't have anything prepared). After initially being terrified of the thing, I can now say that I'm not afraid of bats.
    The house we lived in was 150 years old and that wasn't the first or last bat encounter we had.

    Seriously, it wants out more than it wants to stay in. It's not going to hurt you. It has probably never been so close to a human before. I really wouldn't worry so much.
    Just be careful because like any wild life, bats could contain disease but I'm not saying this to frighten you... that's probably a slim chance. It'll probably fly out first chance it gets.

    -Char
  • DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    I'm sorry you had such a rough time! It was amusing to read though. :lol: I'll keep my fingers crossed that it leaves tonight! :)
    2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

    Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

    Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
    Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

    Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:
  • IndianCurlsIndianCurls Posts: 54Registered Users
    chgurlsng wrote:
    Seriously, it wants out more than it wants to stay in. It's not going to hurt you. It has probably never been so close to a human before. I really wouldn't worry so much.
    Just be careful because like any wild life, bats could contain disease but I'm not saying this to frighten you... that's probably a slim chance. It'll probably fly out first chance it gets.

    -Char

    Thank you for the reassurance. That definitely makes me feel better! I am not usually so skittish about these things, but there's something about bats that are so spooky and creepy (maybe because they are associated with Halloween?) You've seen a lot more bats than I have, so if you say that it will leave then I believe you.
    Black, shoulder length 3B

    Law Student at Wayne State University, Class of 2010
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bats are really facinating and it truly is more frightened of you then you are of him. And unless you have an extremely large insect population then he will have no desire to stay. Believe it or not, that little bitty thing can eat about 600+mosquitos an hour and some have been documented to catching up to 2,000 and hour. So try to imagine what our world would be like without bats, we'd probably be swimming in bugs.

    If you leave him alone, he'll probably fly out when he thinks it's safe, if that doesn't work or you're not willing to wait I found this bat rescue place maybe they have a place near you.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had a bat come into my bedroom at night too (old house with cracks probably). He dive bombed me - woke me up. I then spent about 20 minutes under the covers on a hot July night wondering what to do. We did the window thing and he was gone.

    About a year ago my daughter was home while I was on vacation and another bat came in...we had her do the window thing and we assumed he was gone. Then about 3 days later I kept smelling this 'off' smell - yep...the bat had flown into my stereo cabinet but couldnt get out and he died... :angel10: now he is an angel bat.
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I hope the bat leaves soon so you can rest easy. But it's true, he's more afraid of you.

    When we lived in Germany, I loved to gaze out my bedroom window at night and watch the little bat hunt insects by the streetlight outside the window. :) I miss him. :(
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,765Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OMG :shock:

    Where I live there are NO bats and I have never seen one in real life.
    I´ll be dead if that happened to me.


    Hope he leaves tonight!
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Scary!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Bats are very cool critters! I enjoy seeing them flying around doing their bug-chasing thing. Sorry that one panicked you. They are really not aggressive toward humans.

    Our friend bought a log cabin in the Adirondacks and we found a little bat on the ceiling when he moved in. He got the fireplace gloves and picked it up and took it outside. It was really quite cute.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I once had to help herd a bat that got into the grocery store because of those automatic doors. I guess he was chasing a bug in or something. They had to disable the doors and prop them open while everyone herded him to the doors.

    I wish I could have a bat house here, the mosquitos in my yard are just terrible.
  • IndianCurlsIndianCurls Posts: 54Registered Users
    Thank you all for your advice and comforting words. I thought I should update you on what happened. I got five shots of rabies vaccination today.

    It turns out that although bats are not generally aggressive towards humans, they can bite you and you can't feel the bite. You can feel a mosquito biting you more than a bat. Also, the mark they leave is very small, like a dot, and can be just about impossible to find. Nevertheless, half of all bats carry rabies. And if you wake up to a bat in your room, you should get the rabies vaccination. So my sister told me to go to the hospital, and I was admitted to the emergency room where they gave me five shots, and I have to go in four more times for shots during the next month.

    I made the whole bat thing sound like a funny ordeal, but it was actually pretty traumatizing and I can't sleep right now because my heart is beating out of my chest. I'm not even at my place right now, I'm at my cousin's place. But every little noise or flying insect startles me now, and I can't close my eyes without picturing the bat flying towards me. I wish this feeling would go away.
    Black, shoulder length 3B

    Law Student at Wayne State University, Class of 2010
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,765Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    <<HUGS>>
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    It turns out that although bats are not generally aggressive towards humans, they can bite you and you can't feel the bite. You can feel a mosquito biting you more than a bat. Also, the mark they leave is very small, like a dot, and can be just about impossible to find. Nevertheless, half of all bats carry rabies. And if you wake up to a bat in your room, you should get the rabies vaccination.

    I was just going to post that. They will mention it on the news just about every summer around here. My sister and her husbands first house was a big old farm house. They had bats all the time. In fact, they flipped the covers up one night and one was under the sheets with them. They never once went into the doc - they made me soooooo mad!

    I'm glad you did. Good luck with the bat though!!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Holy crap, I woulda freaked out! I can't go in my room if there's a roach in there!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry you had to have the shots, that sucks. ((hugs)) and hope you feel safer soon. Do they still do the shots in the stomach? :eek:

    I didn't know so many bats carried rabies. I wonder why. Anyone have a link with info to share?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Anyone have a link with info to share?

    This was the last news cast I saw about it.

    http://kstp.com/article/stories/S113974.shtml
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    2happy wrote:
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Anyone have a link with info to share?

    This was the last news cast I saw about it.

    http://kstp.com/article/stories/S113974.shtml

    Thanks for the link. Scary! *now* I'll be afraid of bats. :eek: Unless I see them from afar.

    IndianCurls - Too bad you didn't get to have someone capture that bat, could have saved you some shots. :( How you feeling?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • IndianCurlsIndianCurls Posts: 54Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote:
    IndianCurls - Too bad you didn't get to have someone capture that bat, could have saved you some shots. :( How you feeling?

    I'm feeling better now, staying at my parents' place for a few days until my bat nightmares go away. Some people (such as my landlord and housemates) seem to think that I am overreacting. I don't think they understand that I grabbed the bat with my hand because it was on my pillow and I couldn't see anything. It could have bitten me then. And this was no ordinary bat, it was a big bat with probably about a 2 1/2-feet wingspan.

    Thank you all for your love and support. It means a lot to me!
    Black, shoulder length 3B

    Law Student at Wayne State University, Class of 2010
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote:
    IndianCurls - Too bad you didn't get to have someone capture that bat, could have saved you some shots. :( How you feeling?

    I'm feeling better now, staying at my parents' place for a few days until my bat nightmares go away. Some people (such as my landlord and housemates) seem to think that I am overreacting. I don't think they understand that I grabbed the bat with my hand because it was on my pillow and I couldn't see anything. It could have bitten me then. And this was no ordinary bat, it was a big bat with probably about a 2 1/2-feet wingspan.

    Thank you all for your love and support. It means a lot to me!

    No offense...but what?

    2 1/2 feet wingspan?

    I think you would know if that thing bit you.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm glad you got the shots. Rabies isn't something you want to risk.

    I was going to say that if you herd it out of your room you should wear 2 layers of clothes (like your going sled-riding) and a hockey mask. It would look absurd but you don't want to risk being bit.
    I hope you're doing ok. ((hugs))
    I would be really creeped out too.


    cyndi- I think she's just being extra careful. Did you know rabies can be fatal?
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    cyndi wrote:
    I think you would know if that thing bit you.

    I don't understand it either, but they say you may not even know you were bit - that's why if you wake up to a bat in your room, you should assume you were/could have been bit and go in.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • wildsheepchasewildsheepchase Posts: 161Registered Users
    You probably had a big brown bat in your room, a species which has a wingspan of 12-13 1/2 inches. They're pretty commonly found in houses–roosting in attics, rafters, or even if there's a significant crack under the siding. They're generally harmless. There are a lot of strange myths about bats that make people afraid too–your rabies statistic is questionable, and another one you alluded to was the whole "they want to fly into your hair" thing.

    Although I think you're overreacting a bit, I understand that the first time with a surprise encounter like that can be a bit freaky, especially at night. Remember this though: the longer you avoid sleeping in your room, the harder it's going to be to do it. And if you're ever a homeowner, you're not always going to be able to call someone else to open your window when something comes inside.

    You may want to do a little light reading at bats, look at photos, etc. Knowledge about animals often makes them a lot less scary, and bats are pretty fascinating creatures.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Does anyone watch The Office? Last night there was a bat stuck in someones office flying around..hehe reminded me of this thread.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    And if you're ever a homeowner, you're not always going to be able to call someone else to open your window when something comes inside.

    That's one of the few things men are useful for(if you have any around)...:D. My friend has used my boyfriend to get a small lizard out of her house...and my other friend made one of our guy friends come in the next morning to remove a smushed dead roach from the wall..yes we are a pathetic bunch. :geek:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file