How long is too long??

I've been growing my hair out for 3 years now. It was a chin-length bob and now it's an inch or two past BSL. (Woo hoo!)

But now my hair is ridiculously heavy and thick and I'm afraid I'm getting bad hippy hair. It's not clumping right and it's so heavy that the curl doesn't want to stay.

I've started plopping so that's helped a lot but I'm wondering if I just need to take off some of the length (2-4 inches.) It would still be really long, like I prefer, but maybe a little more manageable... not to mention I clog the shower drain weekly.

Do you feel like your hair has a "limit" at which it starts to look sloppy or unkempt? (Or creepy even?)
Thanks curlies!!!
Mid-back length 3a, red.
Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I think it depends on texture, tightness of curl and condition/health. But IMO it should never be longer than 3-4 inches past BSL or it looks too weighed down and "wall like" to flatter.

• happy-girlhappy-girl Registered Users Posts: 208
    Someone took a picture of me over the weekend with their digital camera. When they showed it to me I was really surprised how great my hair looked in some shots (because it is very healthy) and awful in others.

It kind of looked like a wall of hair, like you said. Like I have these massive curtains hanging from my head. It looked more plastered down close to my scalp (weight I guess) and full and thick at the bottom. (and just kind of wavy... when it was short, it was more 3a-3b.)

It's just funny how at 1 inch below BSL the thickness is a bad thing and 1-2 inches above it kind of plays in my favor.

I guess I didn't realize just how much hair I have until I saw the pics.
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
  • aaa00aaaa00a Registered Users Posts: 284
    My hair definitely has a limit. If it's more than 1 inch below shoulder length it starts to be too heavy...any more than that and my hair is literally pull my head back...way too heavy and it will not curl only wave. If it is more than an inch above shoulder length it will not curl either. Odd. I hate being stuck with the same hair cut all the time, but because I have such very thick, heavy hair, I don't have a choice. I'd love to grow my hair out long but I have to stick with where it is.
    Wavy, dry, protein sensitive, coarse, highly overly porus, very low elasticity, medium-thick density, very prone to split ends
    Avoids: Sulphates, Silicones, Protein, Mineral oil, Petroleum, Polyquaternium, Sodium/Magnesium, Heat
    Mod-CG since June 2007
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I definitely have a limit, and it's much shorter than yours. If I start getting even close to BSL, I look like I really need a haircut. My hair just won't look "done" no matter what I do to it. It doesn't help that my hair is fine, so having it long makes it look like I have very little hair. I've tried to grow it out so many times, but I've finally accepted that I look better with my hair around shoulder length. What's the point of having long pretty hair if it makes me look bad overall, ya know?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Registered Users Posts: 208
    It's funny how it's different for everyone.
    I think I see a haircut in my future... :wink:
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
  • alaskabellealaskabelle Registered Users Posts: 216
    Happy Girl, maybe a few long layers would help you keep the length without that "wall of hair" feeling.
    3aFii, ?/26/36+ (wet)
    CG since 5-29-07
    Current condish: Nature's Gate Aloe & Regis Cherry Almond
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    happy-girl wrote:
    It's funny how it's different for everyone.
    I think I see a haircut in my future... :wink:

What I said above is just my "outer limits" length...the absolute longest. It could easily be a lot shorter...depending. For some, I wouldn't go a touch below shoulder...

And it depends on whether we're saying dry length (how it appears) or wet/straightened length (it's actual length). Some people have a LOT of shrinkage.

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Bailey422 wrote:
    I definitely have a limit, and it's much shorter than yours. If I start getting even close to BSL, I look like I really need a haircut. My hair just won't look "done" no matter what I do to it. It doesn't help that my hair is fine, so having it long makes it look like I have very little hair. I've tried to grow it out so many times, but I've finally accepted that I look better with my hair around shoulder length. What's the point of having long pretty hair if it makes me look bad overall, ya know?

ITA! Oooo-new emoticons :flower: I had not seen them until now!! Sorry I got really distracted by them!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    Definitely a limit for me. Mine used to be a 2 or 3 inches past the shoulder and it just looked really overwhelming. I chopped it off into a short angled bob and it took so much of the weight out and so much lighter looking. I have let it grow out a little bit now so the longest piece is about mid way between my chin and shoulder. I can't really go any longer than that because it starts to get that huge, overwhelming look again.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    I have had that "wall" look too, until I found a stylist that actually knows the definition of "long layers". I haven't had enough money to get my hair trimmed in a while, but my girl knows that I like the extra long length but I need my layers to start at my chin. It helps with the curl and lets me keep my long hair.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file