AOMM Jelly crunchy and white?

mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
Okay so I got the AOMM Jelly yesterday and was so excited to use it. But its turning white and crunchy not soft and defined! What did I do wrong? I cowashed with V05, then used BWC leave-in on damp hair. Lastly I applied like a two dime sized amounts of AOMM Jelly to my hair.

But now i am not feeling it at all. I hate my hair crunchy. And on top of that it is drying white! What in the hell! Mostly everyone loves this stuff, what did I do wrong? Or is this what it normally does?
CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

Comments

• missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    hmmmm...perhaps its not blending well with your leave-in? i never had it dry crunchy and white. it was soft....and didnt have enough hold to define my curls. suburbanbushbabe has good results with this. hopefully she can help!!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Hmmm...i don't have white or crunchy unless I use too much. You really don't need a lot. I have mixed the jelly with 2 or 3 different conditioners (not at the same time) and it has mixed well. Since my hair is really short, i finger comb in the conditioner then finger comb in the jelly. No crunch.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mslanee1 wrote:
    Okay so I got the AOMM Jelly yesterday and was so excited to use it. But its turning white and crunchy not soft and defined! What did I do wrong? I cowashed with V05, then used BWC leave-in on damp hair. Lastly I applied like a two dime sized amounts of AOMM Jelly to my hair.

But now i am not feeling it at all. I hate my hair crunchy. And on top of that it is drying white! What in the hell! Mostly everyone loves this stuff, what did I do wrong? Or is this what it normally does?

I've used it with BWC and it blends well. The drying white would be the BWC, not the AOMM. Do you think you used too much of BWC? If your hair is still drying, chances are the white cast will didappear when completely dry (that's what happens on mine). If it's dry and crunchy, smooth a tiny bit of pomade or something on the surface of your hair. Smooth back from your face and either hold your hair pulled back for a couple minutes or put it in a scuncy for a couple of minutes. That will unscrunch the crunch and you can finger fluff it back into place.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    Okay ladies got it! A few parts of my hair were still wet and those were the parts that looked white, but they dried fine. It still was a little more crunch than i like. I think I just used too much. Will try again tomorrow. :wink: My hair is still too short for a scrunchy, so we will just have to see. i will let you know! Oh but I did get great curl definition
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

it is the best stuff, isn't it?
    mslanee1 wrote:
    Okay ladies got it! A few parts of my hair were still wet and those were the parts that looked white, but they dried fine. It still was a little more crunch than i like. I think I just used too much. Will try again tomorrow. :wink: My hair is still too short for a scrunchy, so we will just have to see. i will let you know! Oh but I did get great curl definition

You can still grab your hair in your hands or smooth it back to hold it. That method is great for stretch and unscrunching.
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Ladies your advice is very much appreciated. I actually got great hear today. I used less AOMM Jelly. I really only needed like one dime/nickle sized amount. I also pulled it back with my hands to help it stretch better. NO CRUNCH and GREAT CURLS.

Thanks

Yea!!! :cheers:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I get the white crunch too, even when totally dry. Maybe I used too much also. I'll use less tomorrow. But I've also noticed I get a bit more frizz with the AOMM than with, say, PM Super Sculpt.
    Yeah the first time a used way too much. But in the end after many many trials i decided i didnt like it as much as other prodcuts cause I really am not a fan of any crunch. Plus like you mentioned you get more frizz and mine looked a little dry to me. So i swapped it.

The white stuff is making me crazy! My hair's usually still damp when I get to work...Today I looked in the mirror and saw the white stuff. Ick! How embarassing! Wonder what the colleagues think!
    Are you sure you are not using too much? When I apply just enough, there is no white stuff. Too much, and lots of white stuff. I thought I needed a lot, but in reality, I only need maybe a half of teaspoon. This amount was difficult for me to use because I so used to using at least tablespoon or more of product.

Also, make sure you are thoroughly (goodness the word escapes me this morning), not rubbing, but something into your hair. lol...it is early...once I recall the word, I will edit my message.
    That amount would never cover my head - not even the crown. I squirt about a tbsp in my hand about five times and cover one-quarter of my head (4 times). Then maybe the fifth quirt I go all over my head.

My hair’s really thick although it’s short. It’s so thick the last time I went to salon to get it cut and shaped (with scissors), the stylist kept talking about how much she wanted to cut. Like she had to cut it all off just to make life more bearable for herself.

Plus, AOMM leaves my hair frizzier than other products, so I feel I need more to tone the fuzzies down.

When people say you only need a tsp of this or that, I don’t really understand how.
    Kimshi about how long is your hair? I use 3 squirts for my whole head (about 2 tsps) over a leave-in (eta- my hair is 8-11" measured from crown). How are you applying it? I find it best to rake through my fingers after I've applied a leave-in. Also what are you using it with (other product)?

ETA - just thinking about this white stuff with the AOMM product. On my wet hair AOMM always goes on clear. It will go on milky if I've used a creamy leave-in underneath (like SheaMoisture or Aveda elixir, etc.) If I use a clear leave-in like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink], the AOMM goes on completely clear. When you distribute, make sure to rake it thoroughly through so as not to leave any clumps.
    comic-p.jpg

• missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    Kimshi42 wrote:
    When people say you only need a tsp of this or that, I don’t really understand how.

yeah, i feel the same way!! i need 1/2 cup product for my whole head in order for it to look good. i know it sounds like too much, but a dime size of this or a quarter size of that does nothing for me.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    Windflower wrote:
    Are you sure you are not using too much? When I apply just enough, there is no white stuff. Too much, and lots of white stuff. I thought I needed a lot, but in reality, I only need maybe a half of teaspoon. This amount was difficult for me to use because I so used to using at least tablespoon or more of product.

Also, make sure you are thoroughly (goodness the word escapes me this morning), not rubbing, but something into your hair. lol...it is early...once I recall the word, I will edit my message.

Hi, have you thought of the word? I tend to rub. Since my hair is pretty thick. When I rake it through, if I part my hair, I notice the product still isn't getting down to the root. So I rub and masage into my scalp. Even still on some parts of my head it looks like the product is just sitting on top of my hair and not being absorbed. On those parts my hair will turn out more frizzy than curly when dry.
    Kimshi about how long is your hair? I use 3 squirts for my whole head (about 2 tsps) over a leave-in (eta- my hair is 8-11" measured from crown). How are you applying it? I find it best to rake through my fingers after I've applied a leave-in. Also what are you using it with (other product)?

ETA - just thinking about this white stuff with the AOMM product. On my wet hair AOMM always goes on clear. It will go on milky if I've used a creamy leave-in underneath (like SheaMoisture or Aveda elixir, etc.) If I use a clear leave-in like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink], the AOMM goes on completely clear. When you distribute, make sure to rake it thoroughly through so as not to leave any clumps.

My hair's about 1 in unstretched, two in stretched. Three squirts...wow and your hair's much longer than mine. I just don't see how it'd work for me.

I don't use a leave in. Should I? I do use Aloe Vera gel under it sometimes though. I thought the AVG was the problem but it's not. My hair's so short that raking actually doesn't quite work for me. My hair still seems messy, so I take a wide tooth comb and pick my hair just a bit. So it appears even.
    I was going to say "rake"!

I really think you are using too much product. I am also amazed that only tsp or two works on my hair, because I am usually heavy handed with products too. At first, i was also using a lot of product. Now that I have been using Robert Craig conditioner, I think my hair is better conditioned so I don't need as much Jelly.

My routine:

1. Rinse with John Masters' Citrus/Neroli conditioner
    2. Rake in with fingers about 2 tablespoons of RC conditioner as a leave-in
    3. Slightly rake in with fingers a teaspoon of Jelly or John Masters's gel.
    I don't use a leave in. Should I? I do use Aloe Vera gel under it sometimes though. I thought the AVG was the problem but it's not. My hair's so short that raking actually doesn't quite work for me. My hair still seems messy, so I take a wide tooth comb and pick my hair just a bit. So it appears even.

Noooooo :cyclopsani: Try not to pick or comb because it defeats any product/styling benefit. If your hair is short rub product on your hands and fingers, bury your hands in your hair and pull back for the front/sides, down for the back and when you get to the ends scrunch -- that is raking for short hair and will help shape your hair. Then pull small sections/clumps of hair out between fingers with product on your hands -- you can twirl strands a bit as you do this. If your hair seems messy, pat it a little. But try not to. Try to use the twirling and gentle pulling/raking to apply and style and put hair in place wher you want it.
    comic-p.jpg

good advice SBBBB! That is what I wanted to type, but could not find the words.
    OK...Thanks guys! I'll stop picking/combing and I'll rake more using less product.
    I raked and used less product but still got the white stuff, which I noticed at work after talking to my boss. And I was really embarrassed. Plus my curls aren't defined. Barely any clumping at all.

So it's clear AOMM isn't for me. PMSS works great and until I find something as good w/o cones, I'll have to stick to it. Thanks though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file