help with ideas for haircut----long hair, longish face

hello,

I think I am finally going to get a haircut

I have never had a good haircut. I mean a GOOD one! not a decent one.

I'm still trying to come up with ideas.

my hair has basically looked the same for way too long and I'm sick of it.

I have a photo album here if anybody wants to take a look.

if not, I'll post a few here too.

I'm not sure how much length I want taken off, but I do know the following:

I want the top of my head taken care of.....its too flat. its partly the way I style my hair but its partly the haircut.

I want layers

I want a slightly rounded look. its pretty flat/straight in shape right now

I want body/nice shape/movement and bounciness

my questions are, what can I pull off?

*meaning, how short should/can I go? what kind of "LOOKS" can I do?*

I guess I've always seen curly hair, at least on me, as pretty limiting in terms of style.

I want something DIFFERENT!!! I'm so sick of my hair lookign the same and having to fluff it up all the time to get it to look good.

ideas??? pictures??

I'll post pictures later of styles I like and people can nix them or agree with them or post ideas of their own.

I'd soooo appreciate any help/advice/suggestions I can get. I'm really indecisive with hair because I have had my share of horror haircuts.....

this picture is just to show my face shape. its the best I can do. most of the time my hair is covering parts of my face.

bigpizza.jpg

thanksgivinghair.jpg

showing the flatness on top. ugh, bad picture though. makes me look weird

show the different types of curls

wildhair.jpg

*note* the colored parts are wavy in that picture because they had been bleached repeatedly and those parts of my hair are no longer wavy like that, they are curly again. just letting you know in case that affects your opinion of anything :P

Comments

• Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Registered Users Posts: 109
    Well, I think with your oval face shape and everything you could do just about any style, you're very lucky. You could probably even wear curls on your forehead, and a cut as short as just above the jawline as you have a nice defined neck and chin to show off.

You would also look good with very long hair and some layers near the cheeks to break up the length of your face a bit, and in the back to give it some movement.
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
  • numbersixnumbersix Registered Users Posts: 70
    curly-hair-style.jpg
    Well, I think with your oval face shape and everything you could do just about any style, you're very lucky. You could probably even wear curls on your forehead, and a cut as short as just above the jawline as you have a nice defined neck and chin to show off.

You would also look good with very long hair and some layers near the cheeks to break up the length of your face a bit, and in the back to give it some movement.

I'm not sure how long/short I should go. part of me wants to keep it long and just add layers, like you suggested. *I also really want layers in the back to give movement and shape because the back is too flat when I look at it in profile....very lacking*

but a part of me wants to go short. in that case I want something FUN

thank you btw, for responding so quickly!! I'm so surprised and delighted :-)

I am curious about the curls on my forehead thing. I hate my forehead so its not a bad idea if I could pull it off. if I hated it though it would take forever to grow back lol but I guess I could clip them back or something in that case.

I can't figure out how to post pictures from the internet....I think its been so long that I'm just forgetting how
    Matrix-Model-1.jpg
    309.jpg
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    numbersix wrote:
    309.jpg

Your face shape is similar to hers, I think this would look nice. You could add some layers to lighten up the top and release the curls.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    yeah, when I had accidentally short hair, it looked like this
    screech9.jpg

my nickname was screech for two years during middle school :oops:

so, because of how curly my hair was short back then, I know it will get curlier if I get it either shorter all over, or shorter layers throughout....

I have a few other ideas for cuts. I'll show pictures tomorrow
    Just don't let them cut layers above your jaw when DRY or you will get the poodle puff.
    normal_04.jpg

I love her hair, plus I have been wanting to put bits of color throughout the hair. peeking through here and there, not long strands of it in a typically way, like regular streaks.
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Just don't let them cut layers above your jaw when DRY or you will get the poodle puff.

whats the shortest layer to get that looks good? (where is it cut)
    this is a good example of the kind of shape I want if I stay longer.

curly_hair_web.jpg
    bowenA.jpg

garroudi2.jpg
    In the pic of Mya, it looks like her layers start around cheekbone when dry. The last picture, the layers start at least eye level. I've had them that short too. You can look thru my albums (link and pw in sig line) for lenght ideas. My hair is 3b/c.

I think any of those styles would look nice on you. :) Do you have a stylist you trust? Print off some of the styles and take them in for a consultation. She should be able to tell you which would work for you hair.
    CurliLocks wrote:
    In the pic of Mya, it looks like her layers start around cheekbone when dry. The last picture, the layers start at least eye level. I've had them that short too. You can look thru my albums (link and pw in sig line) for lenght ideas. My hair is 3b/c.

I think any of those styles would look nice on you. :) Do you have a stylist you trust? Print off some of the styles and take them in for a consultation. She should be able to tell you which would work for you hair.

no, like I mentioned in my first post, I've never had a good haircut. the last one I had was mediocre at best and she insisted she was great with curly hair. I am planning on probably going to a salon that gets great reviews by curlyheads. a lot of their stylists specialize in curly hair.

I'm just really indecisive right now on what I really want.

I'm also tempted to cut my own hair since I've done it before, to save money. I don't care about having everything incredibly perfect because curly hair is never the same from day to day anyway. as long as it looks nice. I never straighten it so that isn't an issue. I'm just hesistant about the back is why I might see a stylist instead.
  • curlinicatorcurlinicator Registered Users Posts: 911
    Yes, I like the first one posted after my first post and the one after the singer too. That's sort of what I was trying to describe about the front curls.

If you wanted to go for a curly bob look you could get away with that too (I'll try to find pictures of what I mean).
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
    I really like the style that was posted after Mya the singer. I think that shape would work really nice with your hair and face shape. I love that woman's hair, her curls are so beautiful and she has such nice volume.

yeah, I agree.
    Yes, I like the first one posted after my first post and the one after the singer too. That's sort of what I was trying to describe about the front curls.

If you wanted to go for a curly bob look you could get away with that too (I'll try to find pictures of what I mean).

that could be cool. I have always wanted one. a GOOD one I mean, and not the kind that my super super short haircut grew into when I was 13.

when you mentioned a curly bob, I tried looking for something I always liked:

sarah jessica parkers hair short.

especially when she wore it curlier.

Sex-And-The-City-tv-p48.jpg
  • curlinicatorcurlinicator Registered Users Posts: 911
    numbersix wrote:
    curly-hair-style.jpg

I'm confused on which picture you prefer, since you deleted and changed some since I commented. :)

Is this one above the style you prefer? If so, you will need multiple layers throughout and they will need to start up short. I've had a style similar to that when I decided to grow out my then-straightened bangs and let them go curly.
    CurliLocks wrote:
    numbersix wrote:
    curly-hair-style.jpg

I'm confused on which picture you prefer, since you deleted and changed some since I commented. :)

Is this one above the style you prefer? If so, you will need multiple layers throughout and they will need to start up short. I've had a style similar to that when I decided to grow out my then-straightened bangs and let them go curly.

I haven't deleted any, just added photos

no, out of all of them that isn't the one I prefer. if short, I prefer I think, the sex and the city one.........or, um, I have to take another look. I can't remember the order they are posted
    curlymodel.jpg

curly_hair_web.jpg
    or something similar to this if I wanted to go a bit shorter:

Sex-And-The-City-tv-p48.jpg

those are the ones I am leaning towards most out of the ones I have posted. but, I haven't found enough photos I don't think. not enough variety anyway...I'd like to see curly a-lines or something similar like that. not drastic looking ones,but a gradual line--a bob type style I guess.

overall, I just want something fun :-)

:afro:
    Botticelli Venus, do you think the hairstyle I liked for the OP would work on a round to heart shaped face?

Yes, just don't cut too short (too much fullness) around the cheeks. More of a Cleopatra shape, longer on the sides a bit.
    I see the other pics now. My stupid site controls keep resetting so they don't show all the pictures. :mad:

I think any of those last 3 would look great on you, it just depends whether you want to go shorter or stay longer. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file