question about amodimethicone

I've heard a lot of raves here about DevaCurls' OneC. I was looking at it to order, but noticed it has amodimethicone in it. Also, the GF C&S I have does too. So the question... is this a true cone? I mean, can it be removed with sulfate free poo? Or if I use either of the above products do I need to start using poo w/ sulfate in it again?

Just trying to figure all this out. It's a little confusing to me at times :oops:

I'm perfectly happy w/ being modified CG, btw... so would using the above classify me as that?
PW: curlz
2b/3a/fine/lazy waves with some curls thrown in
Experimenting with Activate shampoo, VO5 PassionFruit Moisture Milks condish, leaving-in Sally's Honey and Almond, scrunching in BRHG

Comments

• DitdahDitdah Registered Users Posts: 151
    It is a cone, but you don't need a sulfate poo to get rid of it. A poo with Cocamidopropyl Betaine (a more gentle cleanser) should remove the a-cone. And you might not need it that often - so far (crossing my fingers) the a-cone isn't building up really in my hair. I only use lo-poo once every 2 weeks or so, and I may try less often than that.

(As for what happens with the Deva loo-poo, which contains BOTH, you've got me there!! :roll: )
    2B/3A, THICK. CG since 6/5/07
    Alternating Deva LoPoo/VO5 Kiwi Lime, OneC, re:coil, Alagio Curl Cream, LTW, LOOB.
    Always looking to buy/swap for re:coil, Deva Brown stuff
    PW: hair
  • jeamariajeamaria Registered Users Posts: 1,851
    I've gotten build up from amodimethicone (and other ingredients) and it's taken up to 3 months to start causing me problems, shampoo-free. I alternate conditioners, but still used amodimethicone-containing conditioners at least once a week, and I used it very generously, too. I think both the frequency of use, the amount you use, and also whether you leave it in are all factors in how quickly you will see buildup. It also will depend on how porous your hair is. Like Ditdah mentioned, I will be using a cocobetaine shampoo to remove it.
  • SaraNEvansMommySaraNEvansMommy Registered Users Posts: 73
    thanks ladies! you've helped me a lot :)
    Experimenting with Activate shampoo, VO5 PassionFruit Moisture Milks condish, leaving-in Sally's Honey and Almond, scrunching in BRHG
  • meriellynmeriellyn Registered Users Posts: 1,135
    I'm one of the (seemingly) few who gets major build-up from amodimethicone but I was still able to remove it with coco betaine cleansers. :)
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • SaraNEvansMommySaraNEvansMommy Registered Users Posts: 73
    meriellyn wrote:
    I'm one of the (seemingly) few who gets major build-up from amodimethicone but I was still able to remove it with coco betaine cleansers. :)

thanks for the input! so... dumb question. How will I know when I have buildup? Will my hair just be limp/lifeless?

I just bought some Active shampoo today, so I'm hoping that using it once or twice a week will cut it...
  • meriellynmeriellyn Registered Users Posts: 1,135
    meriellyn wrote:

thanks for the input! so... dumb question. How will I know when I have buildup? Will my hair just be limp/lifeless?

I just bought some Active shampoo today, so I'm hoping that using it once or twice a week will cut it...

When I get amodimethicone buildup, my hair gets limp, coated, and dirty looking.

I realy like Activate shampoo. I haven't used it and an amodimethicone product at the same time but I have used it with a silicone that is supposed to behave similarly and it worked out fine. When I used the Activate 'poo I did like to use Giovanni 50/50 every now and then just because it seemed to get anything the Activate might miss over time. May not be necessary but that's what worked well for me.
    I wish I could find some Activate 'poo on sale around here before it's all gone and changed to the $20 stuff. :( It's such a great gentle 'poo.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file