White People with Locs

redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
I see this so often at work. Younger (usually college aged) white folks with locs. While there are plenty of customers at work with tighter curl patterns (3c and up) who look good with their locs I have never seen a looser haired white person pull them off well IRL. From what I can see of their non-loc'ed hair, most aren't beyond a 3A, so is it harder to loc?

By listening to conversations, it seems that a fair amount of the white kids with locs claim to be the counterculture type. But, I find it ironic that so mayn of the counterculture folks tend to adopt similar styles. It's just a different type of conformity.

SO, what are your thoughts? Counterculture? Cultural appropriation? Looks good? Looks bad?
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Comments

• jeamariajeamaria Registered Users Posts: 1,851
    Regardless of race, if someone decides to lock their hair because say, they converted to Rastafarianism, or have some other spiritual/heritage reason, then that is one thing.

But for people to just reduce locs to a hairstyle, when they have for millenia had important cultural and spiritual significance, and to decide to pick it up in a consumerist way, that is appropriation and degrading.

Also, even if it was "just a hairstyle", there is a certain exploitative edge to members of the dominant group shallowly "experimenting'' at will with the culture of other groups, cutting off and claiming bits that catch their eye, often reducing things of important cultural symbolism to mere fashion statements. I don't buy the whole "global village" schtick- more like global hegemony.

Regarding curl type/quality of the locs, I haven't seen hair that is not obviously very curly on a white person, or a black person, for that matter, form good locs- it just seems to be an aesthetic tailormade to suit the cylindrical pattern that tighter curls (3b and up) tend to make.

On the other hand, I have seen several people from Japan with naturally stick straight hair that forms *perfect* locs, and I'm not talking about where extensions are used. Obviously, it depends on the technique used, but I think the fact that a lot of people from East Asia have hair that, while very straight, is highly textured, (i.e. has a lot of cuticle layers), gives the hair the "grip" it needs to maintain certain hairstyles.

Makes sense, because a lot of people with tightly curled hair that is very silky, slippery in texture have problems forming and maintaining locked hair.
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    I think it's a counterculture thing. I think I have only known one (white)person that has ever looked really good with them. She was a 3b curly we eventually found out after she cut them off. But she kept meticulous care of them, they were very well done, very skinny locs and they were dark black cherry in color. So dark that you could only really see the color in the daylight. They were really her trademark at that time.
    ITA, it really is just a different form of counterculture. All of the people that I see that sport them are pseudo-hippie, goth and vagrant punk. I really think that they don't look good on most people that are not of African descent. They need to be maintained and when they aren't they just look dirty and unkempt IMO.
    BTW, some of my neighbors are Rastafarian and they have the most beautiful locs. The wife's are down to her waist and are about pinky finger in diameter. The little boy and the dads are awesome too but thicker. I think the dad's are almost as long as the mom's but he usually wears them up in a hat. When she wears them down they just look....well perfect... :lol:
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I'm glad that you mentioned conversions to Rastafarianism. I meant to mention that as an exception, but forgot.

It seems to me that most of these young people are just trying to be trendy, so the hair sort of ooks me out. It seems, well, fake almost.

The only interesting white loc'ed head of hair I saw was on a guy who could have been a male version of me. Pale dude, big curly red 3B hair at the root. He had his hair loc'ed and almost always wore kilts. It was his view that the Ancient Celts had loc'ed har, so he wore his loc'ed to honor that.

I wasn't sure whether to stick this thread here, or on general non-hair) discussion since it could stray into the political. I figured I'd leave it here. It is a hair thread. But, many poeple with curly hair know that hair can bleed into race, culture, identity, place in society etc.

Yeah, I don't want to get into a discussion about race or whatever. I didn't really read anything into your post other than the initial questions posed about looks and counterculture. But I can see why people could get heated about it. Conversion to any culture is a serious thing and should never be taken lightly. It's like going to a tattoo shop to get Maori tribal tattoos. It's a rite of passage and not something to be taken lightly. But some people don't take that into consideration. KWM?
    BTW, I just saw my neighbor, her locs are longer than I thought. They are past her butt... :shock: (I'm actually jealous of that gorgeous length)
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • jeamariajeamaria Registered Users Posts: 1,851
    I'm glad that you mentioned conversions to Rastafarianism. I meant to mention that as an exception, but forgot.

It seems to me that most of these young people are just trying to be trendy, so the hair sort of ooks me out. It seems, well, fake almost.

The only interesting white loc'ed head of hair I saw was on a guy who could have been a male version of me. Pale dude, big curly red 3B hair at the root. He had his hair loc'ed and almost always wore kilts. It was his view that the Ancient Celts had loc'ed har, so he wore his loc'ed to honor that.

In high school, my friend met a guy like that on the train (everything you describe except for the kilt). That was the first I'd heard of it. It makes sense when you think of the types of hair that are common in Celtic regions of Europe.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    There's a guy I see at my yoga studio who is blonde, Russian, and has locs. They're the huge messy kind, and I don't think they are at all attractive. He's studying capoeira, so maybe that's the connection.

A few years ago I saw a show on TV about how Jamaican/Rasta culture was faddishly popular among young people in Japan at the time. They showed Japanese kids getting locs, which was an 8-hour process and cost a mint. They didn't explain exactly how they did it, but there was a kind of gadget like a hand drill that wound up the locs.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Would people who oppose the idea of Whites and/or straighties appropriating dreads, also object to them appropriating fros...there can be a political/cultural element to those, too.

• MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    My mom had a BEAUTIFUL fro in college and she's White. My grandmother has that pic next to my dad's college pic and I always grew up remarking on their matching hairstyles. :lol:

Would people who oppose the idea of Whites and/or straighties appropriating dreads, also object to them appropriating fros...there can be a political/cultural element to those, too.

Hmmm, good question.

Although it makes no logical sense, a white 'fro would bother me less.

If I saw a white person with a fro, I would just think that this was his natural hair texture/curl. Bob Ross sprung right up into my mind, lol. I guess one could have gotten a perm, but I'd be more likely to think that it was just his natural hiar. I don't know why.

ALso, I haven't seen many whites wearing fros to be trendy the way I see with locs, so that may play into it as well.

Hmmm, good question.

If I saw a white person with a fro, I would just think that this was his natural hair texture/curl. Bob Ross sprung right up into my mind, lol. I guess one could have gotten a perm, but I'd be more likely to think that it was just his natural hiar. I don't know why.
    ALso, I haven't seen many whites wearing fros to be trendy the way I see with locs, so that may play into it as well.

That's exactly what I thought. I don't think that afros are quite the same because many white people actually have the type and texture for a natural afro, but not many have that for locs...

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    My friend had them for a while. She's very white with reddish curly hair. She hates taking care of her hair and likes the look of locs, so she decided to go for it. They looked good for a while, but she cut them off during a time when she couldn't keep them up. She keeps her hair shaved very short and when she had it loc'ed, it was the longest I'd ever seen it!
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    Forgot to add, she isn't counterculture or anything like that. She just doesn't care for messing around with her hair. She didn't realize how much work went into keeping locs looking nice, but she loved having them.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    echokitten wrote:

Hmmm, good question.

That's exactly what I thought. I don't think that afros are quite the same because many white people actually have the type and texture for a natural afro, but not many have that for locs...

I think the same texture that would produce a fro wold produce locs, under the right conditions.

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    all dreads are ugly
    3b-3c CG
    echokitten wrote:

Hmmm, good question.

I think the same texture that would produce a fro wold produce locs, under the right conditions.

Good point. I guess I just see looser textured hair in locs for the most part.

Although illogical, a white fro deosn't strike me as poser-ish as white locs potentially can.

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I just to add the new emoticon - fits this subject

:afro:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CheleighCheleigh Registered Users Posts: 552
    I have no problem with white folks with locs. I don't believe that any ethnicity owns a monopoly on what is essentially a hair style. Yes, there are people who attach religious significance to their locs, but loc'ing has occurred prior to the advent of Rasta, and early loc'ers were around since pre-BC. I do respect that loc'ing has a place of significance historically both religiously and culturally.

I do think it is easier to curly or kinky haired people to loc successfully. But living in the Bay Area, I also see a lot of non-curly/kinky haired folks with locs, and that's cool too. I don't know why those folks are loc'd, because I haven't asked them, but I would assume the responses would be varied--from counter-culture to spiritual reasons to some folks who are just trying to be "trendy." I have a personal preference for cultivated locs, so if anyone's locs are what I wouldn't "cultivated," I'm not going to be a fan, generally (there are exceptions).
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file