Blush shade rec's for a black woman

niknik Posts: 109Registered Users
Hi:

I am looking for a blush recommendation...the shade. I have visited a few makeup counters and haven't been happy with their suggestions. The universal shade mapped for most black women is a plum color. Plum tends to have more of a blue undertone that is not flattering on me. I have a reddish golden undertone. I want to glow and have a natural rosy look. I am probably equivalent to Kelly Rowland's (from Destiny's child) complexion. My natural flush in cold weather is a reddish/pink. Trying to find a blush color similar is hard because I tend to look like I have a rash on my cheeks or like a clown LOL. I have tried the red/brown blushes as well but they just kinda evaporate into my skin. Currently I am using my bronzer or a bit of gold applied with a fan brush. Both are actually very nice and provide the glow I am going for but now I would like a sheer, yet pop of color. Maybe the trick is to apply the pop of color and tone it down with bronzer or gold...that just seems like a lot of work :( .

Any rec's? This question is for anyone, regardless of racial background. For other black women or medium/dark ethnic women that read this post, which shade(s) are you using?

Thank you!

~Nicole
There will never be another you

Comments

  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I tend to like a really natural blush look also, and the color that seems universally flattering is red, the color of blood, which is what a natural blush is anyway.

    This is the truest red blush I have found...they call it No. 1, and it's available in a sample size so you can try it without investing a whole lot of money:

    http://evansgarden.com/mineral-rouge-color.php

    This blush is extremely pigmented though, and care must be taken on application to only use a few grains at a time. This fiberoptic brush makes it possible to apply just a small amount:

    http://www.essentialbeautysupplies.com/products/Fiber_Optic_Blush_Silver-80-4.html
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    nik! long time no see! how have you been?

    what about NARS? pricey - but apparently the colours stay true on darker skin tones. Crazed is raspberry red, Mounia is cinnamon coral and Taos says it's "desert rose".

    or the Tarte gel cheek stain in Tickled.
    My blog:

    http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

    Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    I find a more "true-pink" shade of blush more flattering to my own darker skin than something "peach" or "plum."
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

    Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/
  • niknik Posts: 109Registered Users
    Thank you all for your rec's!

    Hi Rou! I know its been a while. I'm good, thanks for asking. You? I'll check out your rec's.

    Msjanani, do you have a "true pink" blush to recommend?

    Thanks!
    There will never be another you
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    I've tried E.L.F. "natural radiance blusher" and what I was thinking of were the shades "shy" or "flushed" (I've liked shy better, myself)

    the good thing about ELF is that all the stuff is just $1 so you can try different things pretty cheaply!
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

    Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i like ablaze and loverush by mac.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • DocDoc Posts: 367Registered Users
    I would suggest that you try Loreal true match; they have a website that you can go to. Once you answer the questions, the computer will determine your shade (ie warm, neutral or cool and the corresponding number) once that's done all you have to do is buy the correct match; I'm W7, and all of the colors have been perfect very natural; I use their pressed powder and blush in W7
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Doc wrote:
    I would suggest that you try Loreal true match; they have a website that you can go to. Once you answer the questions, the computer will determine your shade (ie warm, neutral or cool and the corresponding number) once that's done all you have to do is buy the correct match; I'm W7, and all of the colors have been perfect very natural; I use their pressed powder and blush in W7

    are mac and loreal owned by the same parent company? i think this was sort of discussed before by i can't remember.

    i recently bought the hip eyeliner by loreal and they are good, very silimar to mac.

    doc do you know what color you are in mac foudnations?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    no, MAC is owned by Lauder along with Clinique, Prescriptives and Bobbi Brown among others.
    My blog:

    http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

    Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • DocDoc Posts: 367Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    I would suggest that you try Loreal true match; they have a website that you can go to. Once you answer the questions, the computer will determine your shade (ie warm, neutral or cool and the corresponding number) once that's done all you have to do is buy the correct match; I'm W7, and all of the colors have been perfect very natural; I use their pressed powder and blush in W7

    are mac and loreal owned by the same parent company? i think this was sort of discussed before by i can't remember.

    i recently bought the hip eyeliner by loreal and they are good, very silimar to mac.

    doc do you know what color you are in mac foudnations?



    I actually don't use mac foundation. For foundation I use Maybelline dream matte mousse in caramel (dark 2)
    I do use a concealer by Mac in NW 40; it's the studio finish concealer in the little round pot.
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    are mac and loreal owned by the same parent company? i think this was sort of discussed before by i can't remember.

    L'Oreal and Lancome are owned by the same company. Many L'Oreal products are direct "knockoffs" of Lancome products. L'Oreal can definitely be a few steps down in quality, but they're generally as competent as Lancome products. Aside from the jasmine scent and wider range of colors in the latter, there's virtually no difference between Lancome Juicy Tubes and L'Oreal Colour Juice (note the similar names). There's a much greater discrepancy between the brands' foundations. The TruMatch line does not have a shade that's yellow enough or light enough for me, while I can (and do) wear Lancome foundations. There's also a gap in the quality of the foundations.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Eilonwy wrote:
    luvmylocs wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    are mac and loreal owned by the same parent company? i think this was sort of discussed before by i can't remember.

    L'Oreal and Lancome are owned by the same company. Many L'Oreal products are direct "knockoffs" of Lancome products. L'Oreal can definitely be a few steps down in quality, but they're generally as competent as Lancome products. Aside from the jasmine scent and wider range of colors in the latter, there's virtually no difference between Lancome Juicy Tubes and L'Oreal Colour Juice (note the similar names). There's a much greater discrepancy between the brands' foundations. The TruMatch line does not have a shade that's yellow enough or light enough for me, while I can (and do) wear Lancome foundations. There's also a gap in the quality of the foundations.

    thanks...that helps!! i did the little test on the l'oreal site and they basically boil all the mac shades into 7 shades...wow! i will probably stick to what works on foundation but for the liners the l'oreal are pretty good.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I finally found a blush that actually looks right on me.... Dame powder blush, by MAC

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    what is the name of the shade curlyarca?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lol sorry about that.

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • curlicurli Posts: 857Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Razin powder blush by MAC. I'm about Kelly Rowlands complection. I love that blush..
  • SmallfryisbackSmallfryisback Posts: 107Registered Users
    I like Nars Crazed, Taos, and Lovejoy; MAC Margin, Dollymix, Sweet as Cocoa, and I've been eyeing Breezy (it'll probably be my next purchase).
    "It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have"

    3b/c curls, I think
    Hair Journal
    My Curly Journey

    Previously Curlyblasian and Smallfry, but my account locked me out, twice!
  • niknik Posts: 109Registered Users
    Curlie:

    Its funny you mentioned Razin. I went to MAC over a year ago and that is the color they matched me with. I bought it but decided I didn't care for it for but after your post I decided to give it another try and I love it. Its funny how it is exactly what I was looking for. I'm probably very similar to your complexion. I had to buy another one though because the one I had was almost a year and a half old. THanks.
    There will never be another you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file