Crib Color?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
This is sort of a decorating question, but I figured I'd still post it here instead of on the Non-Hair board. I'm looking at cribs to purchase and am trying to decide what color to get. The dresser we're using is an old faded wood and I know we won't be able to find a crib to match perfectly. The walls (which my husband just painted!!) are "toasted wheat" which is a medium tan and the trim is bright white, as well as the closet doors and the bedroom door. This is the nursery set we've picked out:

pTRU1SP2407314-2789149_group_w330x253.jpg

So, for crib color, I can't decide what to do. I can pick a wood color that is as close as possible to the dresser, which will still be pretty far off I imagine. Or, I can pick a different wood color altogether just going by whatever I like at the time. Or, I was thinking of maybe getting a white crib, to go with the white trim and doors in the room? I'm wondering though if that will clash with the ivory in the bedding.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I would go with wood to try to match the dresser as closely as possible. If they're pretty close and you don't put them next to each other, I'm sure noone will even notice the difference. Or have you considered refinishing the dresser to better match the crib you choose?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Can you just sell the dresser on craigslist and buy a matching set?

If not, i'd look into refinishing the dresser to better match whatever set you like.

But if neither of those options work for you, I'd suggest a type of pine, like a honey pine. I think it would look good w/ the bedding you picked out and is good for a boy...and can also work for a girl if you have a girl later on.

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Thanks for the replies!

Selling the dresser isn't an option. It was given to us for free by a neighbor in our old apartment complex and it's really old and not worth much if anything. But, it's got lots of drawer space and a huge surface on top that we plan to use for changing. Refinishing it might be a good idea though. My husband will laugh if I add another item onto his "honey-do list" :lol:

I like the idea of doing a honey pine. If I can't find a crib that is pretty close to the color of the dresser, maybe I will do that.

ETA: Also, are you guys vetoing the white crib idea? Because it will clash with the ivory in the bedding?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, do the wood, that's what we did...imho, I think white's overrated & a pain to clean! lol The wood is classic & once it's painted over, I think it's hard to go back to the natural wood...:dunno:
    PC...part of the little one's walls are that color too! I love that color... 8)
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    PixieCurl wrote:
    Thanks for the replies!

Selling the dresser isn't an option. It was given to us for free by a neighbor in our old apartment complex and it's really old and not worth much if anything. But, it's got lots of drawer space and a huge surface on top that we plan to use for changing. Refinishing it might be a good idea though. My husband will laugh if I add another item onto his "honey-do list" :lol:

I like the idea of doing a honey pine. If I can't find a crib that is pretty close to the color of the dresser, maybe I will do that.

ETA: Also, are you guys vetoing the white crib idea? Because it will clash with the ivory in the bedding?

I'm not crazy about white for boys...and i don't like it w/ that bedding set...maybe white would work if you were doing a red, white and blue theme or a blue-only theme. But not so much with this.

That's JMO and I tend to go a little nutty w/ the bedroom sets and such for a new baby.

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I would try to match the wood color of the dresser, but not go too crazy about it. As long as it doesn't totally clash and it's a crib you like you will be OK. You'll be using the crib for a couple of years only.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Thanks everyone! I looked at the dresser again and it's not quite as faded as I thought, so maybe I'll be able to find a halfway decent match. And they won't be right next to each other so it should be fine.

I appreciate the replies :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Also, are you guys vetoing the white crib idea? Because it will clash with the ivory in the bedding?

I'm personally not crazy about white furniture period. I also don't think it would look as cute with the bedding set as a light-colored wood. And... since you have a wood dresser, I think white would look tacky with it.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    If you don't find a match that you like you could always paint the dresser to match the bedding. Painting is easier than refinishing especially if your crunched for time.

Good Luck!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file