We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

has hair color loosened your curl ?!

honiecurlshoniecurls Posts: 106Registered Users
over the past 2 years out of 3 years being natural ... I went from a deep red to a light red to blonde .. and I have noticed that the light red and blonde color loosened up my curls dramatically ! .. It looks like i am 3b in front and a 3c in the back of my hair ... not too crazy about it ... but i love my color! any ideas?
3c very thick big hair
Henna girl
th_100_3332.jpg
th_100_3330.jpg

Comments

• ItsiRCItsiRC Posts: 335Registered Users
    i noticed the same thing with my hair as well. i ususally do blonde/brown highlights. immediately after i get the color, those sections are really stringy. it seems the more i condition it, the better they get. i've done the aveda highlights, but i think they are just as harsh as the others. i think that i will be staying away from the color for a while b/c i i like the all black look better.
    I'm going to Mexico until this bills business blows over.

pw:master shake

.png
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    My cousin has naturally curly hair and her hair was very thick (3B) and healthy. A few years ago she decided to go blonde and after a while her hair wasn't as thick anymore and her curls were less defined. She grew out the blonde hair and has cut most of it off, but her hair isn't as bouncy as it once was. I guess hair dye - blonde or black - can do a number on your hair after a while.

I have another friend who went so blonde it was almost white LOL :lol:
    She went from beautiful long curls to fried hair that was short and full of split ends. She had to stop dying her hair and its finally nice again, but it took a few years to get back to normal.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not at all, but the color I use is no-ammonia or peroxide.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • taflogtaflog Posts: 130Registered Users
    anytime that you lighten your hair you strip out the moisture and protein in the hair shaft :( . your hair is gonna be in a weaken state which can cause the same damage a relaxer did.(hair will be weak and limp like spaghetti) :cry: . the finer your hair is the worse damage will be done. alot of people think that just because you are natural that you can do anything to your but that's not true. chemical damage is still damage whether it is from color or relaxers. i suggest doing semi permanent colors or rinses that just coat the hair(not a fan of henna dyes). but going blonde when you hair is naturally jet black is trouble waiting to happen. Btw i am a hairstylists but must admit that im really just starting to learn alot about natural hair care through these forums and others like these. :)
  • Sideshow-BobSideshow-Bob Posts: 68Registered Users
    I used Naturtint a couple weeks ago and went from a dark brown to copperish color. It's not extremely light but considering what I started with I'd say it's significant. I have noticed no change in curl or overall health of my hair. Because it has no ammonia (only peroxide), it takes longer to process but I've had hair fall out from color before so it was worth the extra time. Do you color at home?
    I feel like a 3c/4a most days... More specifically an OS, dominant S, with spongy medium thickness
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    sideshowbob, I love your hair!
    My hairdresser told me that blonde and black hair dye damage the hair. I knew about the blonde, but the black threw me off. It would explain how I ruined my hair not once but twice a few years back. I think browns are reds are not as damaging or have the same harsh chemicals. I guess we can't all look like Mary J or RuPaul LOL
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• ButterflyCurlsButterflyCurls Posts: 46Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote:
    sideshowbob, I love your hair!
    My hairdresser told me that blonde and black hair dye damage the hair. I knew about the blonde, but the black threw me off. It would explain how I ruined my hair not once but twice a few years back. I think browns are reds are not as damaging or have the same harsh chemicals. I guess we can't all look like Mary J or RuPaul LOL

Wow I never knew that. I was going to dye my hair a soft black today. Now I'm afraid :? I guess it's better doing it once and for all than having to keep up the reddish brown color on my hair...And please if anyone thinks black hair will look funky on me feel free to speak up :D
    3b/3c ... Long to my lower back when pulled straight...

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FAngelinaCurl%2F" class="Popup
    pssw: care free
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    im a haircolor advocate--i think it all depends on what you use, how you use it and whos putting it on your head.

like ive said a blabillion times, ive been coloring my hair for the past 10 years and mine isnt damaged at all. ive gone from black to honey blonde and ive maintained healthy hair. im not a big fan of using only semi or demi permanent because i rinse my hair too much to keep the color. for the past 5 years ive used redken colors. but to reduce the risk of damage as well as having super great color, go to professionals only!

and for the record--the more my hair is lifted the looser the texture gets, but ive never had ay drastic texture changes like going from 3c to 3b.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Not at all, but the color I use is no-ammonia or peroxide.

Agreed.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • Sideshow-BobSideshow-Bob Posts: 68Registered Users
    Thanx so much mariag002!
    I feel like a 3c/4a most days... More specifically an OS, dominant S, with spongy medium thickness
  • honiecurlshoniecurls Posts: 106Registered Users
    my hair is not damaged .. .. a little drier .. but other than that .. it is beautiful .
    i still have plenty of shrinkage ! Oh well ! ....but i love my color .. i'm a color addict !
    3c very thick big hair
    Henna girl
    th_100_3332.jpg
    th_100_3330.jpg
  • CulturalBeautyCulturalBeauty Posts: 3Registered Users
    honiecurls wrote:
    over the past 2 years out of 3 years being natural ... I went from a deep red to a light red to blonde .. and I have noticed that the light red and blonde color loosened up my curls dramatically ! .. It looks like i am 3b in front and a 3c in the back of my hair ... not too crazy about it ... but i love my color! any ideas?
    My hairdresser told me that coloring your hair can cause you curls to become more loose.
    3c/3b/4a
    Curly, Happy, and Free!!!

www.myspace.com/lady_sheka
  • frazalifrazali Posts: 364Registered Users
    I noticed that my highlighted hair was a bit drier than my other hair two hairdressers ago. My last hairdresser also used a glaze, which really straightened my hair for about 4 days. It looked awful. The color lookedf good, but the texture was crap.

I have an appointment at Devachan (with Vida, has anyone used her before?) at the end of the month for highlights. Hopefully, the dye that they use won't change the texture of my hair.
    Variation of 3B/3C curls.

Amazed that I finally found a method that works for my hair! Diffuse until 60-70% dry, then let air dry for about an hour. Scrunch and leave it alone!

NYC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file