Crimping curly hair?

divegirldivegirl Posts: 1,286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
OK, so I have an 80s prom party tomorrow night. Lucky for me, thrift stores are full of ugly 80s prom dresses :)

I want to crimp my hair to fit the part. Has anybody crimped curly hair and have tips? Did you use gel? Hairspray? Blow-dried it first or air dried?

Now where did I put my shoulder pads and giant clip-on earrings.... ?

Comments

• realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    If I were you I would put a lot of gel in my hair and make it really stringy and big. Think Drew Barrymore's friend in the wedding singer. :wink:
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I don't know how crimping will turn out, I say just go for it. But.......can I come with you?????
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    I would love to go to an 80s party. Love that era John Hughes, OMD, Kajagoogoo, Flock of Seagulls...I gould go on. I do not however miss my short hair, stirrup pants, oversized sweaters, blue and yellow eyeshadow, tight zipper leg jeans, Tretorn Sneakers, acid washed jean jacket...need I go on?? :lol:
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If your hair is long, you could put it up in one of those side pony-tails. That would look smashing with your earrings and shoulder pads!

I never crimped in the 80's but boy was my hair BIG! :lol:

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    braid outs give me a crimped look
    3b-3c CG
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    divegirl wrote:
    OK, so I have an 80s prom party tomorrow night. Lucky for me, thrift stores are full of ugly 80s prom dresses :)

I want to crimp my hair to fit the part. Has anybody crimped curly hair and have tips? Did you use gel? Hairspray? Blow-dried it first or air dried?

Now where did I put my shoulder pads and giant clip-on earrings.... ?

For my friend's hair, I used one of those crimpers that come with changeable flat iron plates, which I used to straighten it kinda halfway. It doesn't really have to be that straight; just pull out most of the twist and turns of the natural curls so they don't interfere with the crimp pattern. You can also blowdry your hair straightish, and then crimp.
  • divegirldivegirl Posts: 1,286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately my hair isn't long enough to put up into a side ponytail :( Does Walmart even still sell crimpers? I think I'll put lots of gel in, crimp it, then brush it out :D

My boyfriend has been so cute.. he's been asking me all week what color my dress was going to be, so that he could make sure he matched :lol:
  • divegirldivegirl Posts: 1,286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jeamaria wrote:
    For my friend's hair, I used one of those crimpers that come with changeable flat iron plates, which I used to straighten it kinda halfway. It doesn't really have to be that straight; just pull out most of the twist and turns of the natural curls so they don't interfere with the crimp pattern. You can also blowdry your hair straightish, and then crimp.

That's a great idea! I forgot that that's the way I actually used to crimp my hair in the 80s :oops:
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I wanna go! You better post pictures for us to see afterwards!!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    echokitten wrote:
    I do not however miss my short hair, stirrup pants,

You do NOT miss stirrup pants???

;)

<sigh> I can't wait for the eighties to make a comeback...
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Ab-star wrote:
    <sigh> I can't wait for the eighties to make a comeback...

Girl, where have you been for the last 5 years? '80s have been back for a while. 8)
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Just remember, your hair has to be BIG, and frizz is perfectly acceptable.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    SuZenGuide wrote:
    Just remember, your hair has to be BIG, and frizz is perfectly acceptable.

Yes, 80's party is so easy for me..just for the hair alone. All I have to do is flip it upside down run a comb or brush(OUCH) through it when its dry..or even fingers. Oh and if I don't put any product in it..but I just couldnt do that for my party..I think I used less than usual though.
    Mousse! Lots of it!
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Gravity defying bangs!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    shelli wrote:
    Gravity defying bangs!

Ooh, yes! And straightened, poofy bangs with curly hair would be very 80s.
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    When I was in high school we used to call the girls that did their bangs with one big curl teased up/back and one big bang fringe with the rest a poof in the back and the sides teased straight out-- "Mall Sharks".
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file