clumping

naturalbeauty7naturalbeauty7 Posts: 133Registered Users
hi---its me--clueless lady again but can someone explain clumping and a good process and products to go about clumping.
4A--always searching to better moisturize my hair, keep it healthy, and keep it growing. ~God made curly hair for--simply put--beauty!
http://public.fotki.com/godsnaturalchild7/

Comments

• jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    When people talk about "good clumping", they're referring to getting lots of individual curly strands to stick together, forming defined, chunky "supercurls", if you will. Up till a point, the clumping is considered better with the more single strands united in one "supercurl". The antithesis of this is separated, stringy clumps.

Hair tends to clump better when it's very moisturized-think of how most curly hair sticks together and looks more defined when it's soaking wet than if it was to dry without product. So products that lock in moisture will usually be the most effective at acheiving "good clumping", and you will usually need that product to have a decent amount of hold to prevent the clumps from breaking apart, though again, the more moisturized your hair is the more it will hold them.

However, it's important to note that the tighter your curl is, even when sufficiently moisturized, the less chunky the clumps it forms will tend to be, though of course that is no universally the case.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good answer :D
    That was a very eloquent, and I totally agree. Now that I'm less concerned about definition and more concerned about moisture, my hair is clumping better and better. Moisture, moisture, moisture! It's the key to clumping.
  • wilykatwilykat Posts: 108Registered Users
    curlyniki,
    your hair is so long. How long did it take your hair to get to that length? my hair is right at my ears after two years. stretched out it's past my shoulders but i never wear it stetched out.

thanks,
    wilykat
    4a with some 3c around the edges
    .png
    Wilykat,

I've never had a relaxer...but I wore my hair straight (blowdrying and flat iron) until 2005. My ends were in horrible shape, so now I've been doing my best to pay attention to the health of my hair and avoid heat (I use the hooded dryer sometimes to dry). I do take vitamins everyday and silica. Alive! Whole Food Energizer is AMAZING. It not only has all of the great vitamins and minerals you need, but also tons of anti-oxidants and whole food nutrients. Check it out on-line. It's good for your health but has the added benefit of helping you grow healthy hair.
    Sorry for rambling...hope this helps.
  • naturalbeauty7naturalbeauty7 Posts: 133Registered Users
    thanks for the tips, I agree that it was very eloquent. So basically if i mosturize it it should clump on its own. I guess i need to experiment here with the clumping.
    4A--always searching to better moisturize my hair, keep it healthy, and keep it growing. ~God made curly hair for--simply put--beauty!
  • naturalbeauty7naturalbeauty7 Posts: 133Registered Users
    thanks for the tips, I agree that it was very eloquent. So basically if i mosturize it it should clump on its own. I guess i need to experiment here with the clumping.
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    I didn`t know that clumping means getting curl definition. :lol: I mention before that I don`t like clumping on short hair like mines I thought it meant something else.

jeamaria-Nice tip.I totally agree with the clumping.I Added lots of aloe vera gel juice to my conditioner and it has given me good results.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
    Another thing that aids in clumping is the raking method. When I rake my styling products in (using my fingers like a comb) the hair that gets caught between my fingers, lumps into a curl. I never use a comb on my wet hair...I end up with undefined frizz.
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    I use a denman brush to detangle and apply product and this helps me with clumping
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file