Why do I bother

cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
buying, cleaning, picking up toys when my kids NEVER seem to play with them? My kids for weeks have done nothing but run, apparently runing in circles is far more entertaining then any toy that has ever been made.

And yet there are still toys all over everywhere, and I dont know why, I pick them up and yet they magically appear on the floor again, unplayed with. I don't get it.

Comments

• CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    I hear you. The nine thousand toys? So not as interesting as pulling off all the sofa cushions and making a bouncy dance floor.

Although she will go through and set off every single noise-making one at once. Think all their batteries are about to "run out."
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Yeah, I don't buy toys anymore. My son has NEVER played with toys. He will now when he has friends over, but he has plenty. My daughter will play with her babies, but she has SO many. Why do 2 kids need 20 baby dolls?

Add a small dog to the toy mess mix- what a nightmare :roll: .
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    We thought of a fun new birthday tradition with my son's b-day in April we're gong to try and stick with. Instead of giving toys, we do something fun. For Kade's b-day we took him to the park day of, and the next weekend, his first hike in the forestry, they had a blast looking at everything, too bad it was too cold for swimming we found a creek just the right depth for toddler wading.
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    Nothing beats the remote control or the phone. Lucy has a toy cell phone, but nope - she wants to play with the real one.

She also can spend hours with a dish towel. Okay maybe not hours, but she'll last way longer with a dishtowel or washcloth than any of her toys.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't buy her more toys, but then I remind myself that she really doesn't play with the ones she has - even when they're new. The phone however, never gets old.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Kids are supposed to play with toys? I thought they just threw them around the room for me to pick up.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • TrenellTrenell Registered Users Posts: 3,562 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think I've bought anything, but yet there are toys EVERYWHERE.

For his 1st b-day I'm going to get him this

41W3RZ9CJNL._SS260_.jpg
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Jenny C wrote:
    Nothing beats the remote control or the phone. Lucy has a toy cell phone, but nope - she wants to play with the real one.

So this keeps going into toddler- and preschool-hood? My 6-month-old DS is always after the remote and the phone, but he just wants to put them in his mouth. :lol:
    ehLB.jpg
  • sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
    The best entertainment at my house is my keys (the plastic ones don't fly).
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    Jenny C wrote:

She also can spend hours with a dish towel. Okay maybe not hours, but she'll last way longer with a dishtowel or washcloth than any of her toys.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't buy her more toys, but then I remind myself that she really doesn't play with the ones she has - even when they're new. The phone however, never gets old.

ah my kids do the same thing, real phones are the best, I even gave them a real phone that wasn't plugged but now that we don't use it anymore they dont either.

And my boys played all morning with a chair, first they sat in an adult chair together and that was a blast, then they drug their chairs around the house.

And they like to clean, I don't give them stuff so they have to improvise. I'm on bottle #3 of conditioner this week. And apparently deodorant is good for woodwork.

And my 23 month old has a thing with hair accessories, scrunchies make the best armbands apparently. And my headbands make the best necklaces.
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    My son has never really played with toys with the exception of cars and stuffed animals. Yet, his grandparents insist on buying him something almost weekly. :roll:

I don't buy toys anymore unless they are from the $1 bin at Target. I also secretly give away toys he rarely plays with; we're down to two toy boxes! 8) I'm trying to get him down to one by the time school starts.
    3c/4a
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    sarah42 wrote:
    Jenny C wrote:

So this keeps going into toddler- and preschool-hood? My 6-month-old DS is always after the remote and the phone, but he just wants to put them in his mouth. :lol:
    Girl, you haven't seen nothin' yet! :lol: :shock:
    can't wait to see the later reports...hehe

• Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    sarah42 wrote:
    Jenny C wrote:

Yup. Lucy started out that way too, just wanting to eat the phone and the remote, but now she likes to press the buttons.

Now she knows to put the phone to her ear, and she's accidentally called a few people,. All of a sudden I'll hear a voice coming out of the phone - oops. She also can change the channel too, which can be quite annoying.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Kids actually play with their toys eventually. My 7 year old boy makes the most amazing multi-media structures and scenarios. He used to jump down while eating dinner at 4 years old saying "I have to build".

I don't pick up toys anymore. Once a kid hits the age of 2 or so, they are QUITE capable of picking up their own toys. If you continue to do it for them, they never learn.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    Kids actually play with their toys eventually. My 7 year old boy makes the most amazing multi-media structures and scenarios. He used to jump down while eating dinner at 4 years old saying "I have to build".

That's very cute!

We don't buy many toys, and I'm doing my best to keep others from buying them for my son. My kid never plays with new toys. He just throws them around. But he's rediscovering toys now that he got for his first birthday (he's almost 2) and suddenly he "gets" how to play with them properly.

So rather than buy new toys, I just hide them for a few months and then miraculously find them again. I think with this strategy we don't need to buy a new toy again until he's about 3.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file