Chi? Solia? Fhi? Sedu? OMG! (best flat iron??)

Shelbynicole91Shelbynicole91 Posts: 72Registered Users
ok so im asking for a flat iron for my b-day. i was originally set on buying a chi but iv heard it burns out quikly. so then i was reading about the solia. im looking them up on folica.com and well what flat iron do you use? any suggestions? im clueless, and of course then i came across the FHI heat iron and the sedu (which i heard gets rly hot in the handle plus is higher in my price range, agh so many choices :roll: plus i see most of them are like 1 inch..is that too small? it seems small to me but maybe thats because i have such long hair. idk. has anyone tried any of those? HELP!??

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I've tried the chi, solia, and sedu. CHI and SOLIA are great irons. I wouldn't ever buy the CHI due to the problems I've read though. I ended up buying the SEDU which is also great, but because it was the "best". I'd reccommend either the solia or sedu.
    3b-3c CG
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Check out this page to try & figure out what size you need:

http://www.folica.com/How_to_Choose_a_d1252.html
  • FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    I like my bedhead iron :)
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
  • Shelbynicole91Shelbynicole91 Posts: 72Registered Users
    ok thanks guys, i looked it up a bit more and iv narrowed it down between the solia and the sedu! :D
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    i have the Solia and really like it! I used to have the Chi and I think the Solia is comparable in quality....without the headache of the cord shorting out and costing $40 more.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    In case the sale ends soon I didn't want to miss out, so I finally made up my mind & ordered the 1-1/4" Solia since it has such great reviews & the size is right.

Just in case, I think I'll be doing a lot of straightening before the 30 day guarantee is up. :wink:

I forgot to order iron cleaning though! I wonder if I call Monday morning that they'll let me tack that on? Or maybe rubbing alcohol will work just as good, so I heard. :?
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    I just ordered the Sedu from folica.com last night. I also got some Biosilk thermal protectant for my hair.

I didn't even think about cleaner.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    In case the sale ends soon I didn't want to miss out, so I finally made up my mind & ordered the 1-1/4" Solia since it has such great reviews & the size is right.

Just in case, I think I'll be doing a lot of straightening before the 30 day guarantee is up. :wink:

I forgot to order iron cleaning though! I wonder if I call Monday morning that they'll let me tack that on? Or maybe rubbing alcohol will work just as good, so I heard. :?

i don't think you'll be disappointed with the solia! i didnt realize we needed a special cleaner. i better look into that.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    The irons get buildup & probably causes drag, maybe even decreased heating & straightening capabilities. I dunno. I know my cheap Revlon ceramic got buildup.

I'd say common sense tells a person the iron should be unplugged. I read the plates shouldn't be hot when cleaned or they could be ruined. I saw the word 'warm' on Folica, but wonder if that's room temperature 'warm', as in sitting overnight, or warm after cooled down from using. :?

If anyone knows, please answer! Thanks!
  • Libra08Libra08 Posts: 242Registered Users
    I have the solia....straightens like a charm, but I've been wondering if i should have gotten a sedu...
    comic-p.jpg
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Posts: 1,685Registered Users
    I got my Sedu today!

I'm excited now. I want to try it out. Maybe I will tonight. :happy1:

eta:....Tried it.

Love it!!!! :wav:

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

bummmmp :bounce:
    This is fourth day hair. It has been hot, humid and rainy here in Michigan.
    Plus two of the days I had the top down on my car. :afro: I have very course hair. Plus it is dry since I have a messed up thyroid.
    0003536gc3.jpg
    I think when the weather is better here my hair will turn out smoother.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    curlylew66 wrote:
    This is fourth day hair. It has been hot, humid and rainy here in Michigan.
    Plus two of the days I had the top down on my car. :afro: I have very course hair. Plus it is dry since I have a messed up thyroid.
    0003536gc3.jpg
    I think when the weather is better here my hair will turn out smoother.
    You have long, lovely hair! :brilsmurf:
    3b-3c CG
    Thank you juicy tube! I probably should have combed it before my husband took the pic! Ha ha!
    When it is straight I have a terrible habit of running my fingers thru it messing it all up. :toothy10:
  • Dancebabe885Dancebabe885 Posts: 38Registered Users
    I love my sedu! I swear by it. I also used to have an FHI (much less damaging than a CHI and just as good) but it broke, so when the time came I decided to try out the sedu. I don't regret it! pricey but worth it. Sedu revolution all the way!
    3a
  • shoneeshonee Posts: 57Registered Users
    tinicurlyd wrote:
    I love the maxiglide , been using it for 3 yrs ( not everyday just ever so often for a change ) and gets my hair straight everytime without fail. :D

I am so with you I love my maxiglide
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found the Chi worked best on me, but doing it still took forever!
    I used it a couple times & it took just as long to straighten as with my old iron, even with the temp almost maxed out. I was getting frustrated that my hair kept sliding & slipping out of the Solia, probably due to the plates moving; one end would be clamped/down & the other end would be open/up. The cord was making bad loud noises, like springs grinding & grating & when closing the iron the same noise came from the hinge though quieter. That didn't sound like 'quality' to me.

Otherwise it left my hair silky & shiny.

But I returned it & someday will look again for a pro iron, maybe a Chi or Sedu. In the meantime I'll continue to use my inexpensive Revlon 1" flat iron, maybe until it breaks.

SHRUG
    I love my sedu! I swear by it. I also used to have an FHI (much less damaging than a CHI and just as good) but it broke, so when the time came I decided to try out the sedu. I don't regret it! pricey but worth it. Sedu revolution all the way!
    ITA with you. My Sedu is awesome!

• love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Anyone like the HAI irons? In particular, the HAI Digistick?
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • SoLastSunday152SoLastSunday152 Posts: 428Registered Users
    I absolutely LOVE my Sedu!!
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,764Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have this Ga.ma flat iron. I love it.
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    thanks for all the replys guys! i have deicided on the sedu 1 in a half inch flat iron :) asked for it for my b-day now just crossing my fingers that i get it! woot woot!
  • ringletcurlringletcurl Posts: 40Registered Users
    I've had the Chi and the Sedu.....now I have Paul Mitchell...like it the best....
  • ChelleChelle Posts: 131Registered Users
    What if I want to use my flat iron to create some wave or even some curls, do I need to get a rounded flat iron? I am pretty good with a curling iron...use it daily but not sure how coordinated I will be with the flat iron.

Another question. If I am going to flat iron but still want body at the roots (I have thin hair that likes to lay flat) should I blow dry it first maybe upside down to get the roots lifted and then flat iron it?

Chelle
    2a?, using MOP C system hydrating poo, Elucence conditioner, B&A Biomineral gel......off and on results....rely most on my curling iron for help
  • EmBemEmBem Posts: 77Registered Users
    I just bought this straightener

http://www.folica.com/Solia_Pink_Limi_d2161.html

Anyone have luck with one like this?
    3a/3b
  • ChelleChelle Posts: 131Registered Users
    I just bought this one
    http://www.folica.com/Sedu_Revolution_d2880.html

But then I saw a Chi called the Volumizer
    http://www.folica.com/CHI_Volumizing__d3217.html

I hope I didn't buy the wrong one, I really like some volume at my roots and I would like to be able to flip and bend the ends. Should be here early next week :bounce:

Chelle
    2a?, using MOP C system hydrating poo, Elucence conditioner, B&A Biomineral gel......off and on results....rely most on my curling iron for help
  • PrettyPorcupinePrettyPorcupine Posts: 258Registered Users
    I just bought one and I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT.

Did I mention that I love it? :happy2:

Yeah, it's heavy and it takes some practice to get used to the very different technique it requires, but soooo worth it!!!

Haven't tried the "steam burst technology" yet, because I'm too lazy to f*** around with distilled water and I am still not convinced that steam will do anything but frizz me senseless... :afro:
    Modified CG. You'll pry my 'cones from my cold dead fingers! Mixed waves, coarse, below shoulder length, dark brown. I hate my hair :evil: but I'm trying to learn to accept it.

Gels: LA Looks Wet Look Styling Gel, Garnier Fructis Wet Shine Gel. Condish: Alberto V05 Free Me Fresia, Tresemme' Flawless Curls, LVPNG, Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Shampoo: Tresemme' Flawless Curls. Silicone Serum: Whatever is on sale, but I don't leave home without it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file