Curl-Bashing

AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Well, I know there are other topics like this, but I was reading through them and finally felt like I belonged with a group of people. I've been ostracized my entire life for my curly hair. In school I was always told, quite rudely to "brush my hair for once" by teachers and students alike. My mom (who has straight hair) would always brush it and it was a nightmare! She would say she didn't know why my hair insisted on knotting, up, if only I knew then, what I know now!!!

Even my dad, who I get my curly hair from (really his is kinky) has made comments. I've been called "birds' nest", "Poofy Hair Girl" (which got shortened to PHG), "scarecrow", "Shirley Temple" (I've actually had idiots come up to me and ask me to sing Shirley Temple songs), etc. I've also been told that I have very "80's hair" and that my look needs to be updated. I've been told that I'm lazy for wearing my hair curly. Everyone would constantly beg me to wear my hair straight, and I did all throughout junior high and hs, and they all made fun of how big it was and how I obviously didn't fix it, when I spent 2 hours at least each morning on hair alone.

Ever since I started college I've worn my hair curly, and it's been a very freeing experience. I've only had a handful of comments made since I've gotten older, I worked with a woman who had helmet/mushroom-looking hair and told me my hair was way to frizzy and that I needed to do something about it. I had a guy get his fingers caught in my hair, and proceeded to pull some of it out and then gripe at me about it.

The real kicker was last year out at a club a guy I had never met came up to me and asked me what my race was. I'm from an Irish and Native American background, and I told him as such. He told me that I couldn't possibly be, that I had to be at least half African-American because "no white girl has hair like that". I didn't know what to think after that, there would be nothing wrong with me being half African-American if I was, but I'm not, and I'm proud of my heritage (Each person should be proud of their own). This guy was clearly uneducated and dumb!!! But I wanted to say thanks for posting your stories on here, it helped to hear them and realize I'm not alone, AND to pick up some witty comebacks for when idiots cross my path!!

-Amanda :P

Comments

• Shelbynicole91Shelbynicole91 Posts: 72Registered Users
    iv had people come up to me and ask me what race i am a few times. once when i was in the park with my little sister a lady came up to me and asked if she was mixed (she thought i was her mom!) lmao which is crazy becuase were only 10 years apart. anyways i totally get what you mean. i never even really considerd my hair to be "curly" until i was around 13, then discoverd gel =) haha up until then i would just brush it out and have it look frizzy. i feel at home here. lol :D
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to get the sirley temple thing as a kid, and then they looked shocked when they found out I hated the her movies. Gee I wonder why?

My DH gets accused of being part black all the time too, because he has sometimes kinky curls, and his hair is really coarse, wiry. But apparently he and others did a side by side comparison, and they aren't similar.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    One of the things I hate most is when the uneducated (usually guys) say "Why do you do your hair "crimpy" all the time"? I ask them what exactly is crimpy?? I've also been asked if I do my hair with a curling iron each morning! I've been asked if it's a perm, etc. It's just annoying because they think a "white" girl can't have curly hair. Trust me, they can, I'm living proof!!! I hate all the fuzzy, frizzy, messy, wild, etc comments. My hair isn't frizzy, it hasn't been since I discovered the CG method, and I hate it when the uneducated feel they can make backhanded comments (or as they see them "compliments") about my hair. Give me a break and get a clue!!!!
  • alaskabellealaskabelle Posts: 216Registered Users
    When my hair was short I got called Shirley Temple by a drunk on the street, and I thought it was hilarious....thankfully most comments are supportive, like "wow I can't believe your hair just does that."
    3aFii, ?/26/36+ (wet)
    CG since 5-29-07
    Current condish: Nature's Gate Aloe & Regis Cherry Almond
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    One of the things I hate most is when the uneducated (usually guys) say "Why do you do your hair "crimpy" all the time"? I ask them what exactly is crimpy?? I've also been asked if I do my hair with a curling iron each morning! I've been asked if it's a perm, etc. It's just annoying because they think a "white" girl can't have curly hair. Trust me, they can, I'm living proof!!! I hate all the fuzzy, frizzy, messy, wild, etc comments. My hair isn't frizzy, it hasn't been since I discovered the CG method, and I hate it when the uneducated feel they can make backhanded comments (or as they see them "compliments") about my hair. Give me a break and get a clue!!!!

Hey, if they think you've styled your hair with a curling iron, you should take it as a compliment, because my hair never looks that uniform :bounce:
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
    The thing is my hair doesn't look that uniform, at least not to me. I don't have the perfect ringlets. I don't know I guess some of it I should take as a compliment, but some I just can't!
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    The thing is my hair doesn't look that uniform, at least not to me. I don't have the perfect ringlets. I don't know I guess some of it I should take as a compliment, but some I just can't!

well from my experience curling irons dont really make perfect ringlets, usually curling irons make peoples hair look straighter if that makes any sense, because the curls usually look really really lose
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
    Oh mine definitely aren't loose, by any means. This was a far stretch, this ladies comment. She's one of those women who thinks the only acceptable hair style is a bleached blonde, bob/helmet, that's hairsprayed within an inch of it's life!!! I mean there is no movement AT ALL!! No, but I would say my hair is a mix of 3A and 3B according to this site and a mix of botticelli and corkscrew according to Curly Girl. It's gotten curlier since I started doing the CG method. Oh well who cares!
  • alaskabellealaskabelle Posts: 216Registered Users
    You wouldn't want to look bleached and sprayed anyway....her hair sounds scary. I wonder what it really looks like! Maybe she is a closet curly.
    3aFii, ?/26/36+ (wet)
    CG since 5-29-07
    Current condish: Nature's Gate Aloe & Regis Cherry Almond
  • ohBettyohBetty Posts: 1Registered Users
    Lurker, finally posting. :cheers:

I was born with straight hair, but when it finally started getting wavy, neither my mom or I had any idea what to do with it. It was below my waist and so frizzy, and I just kept brushing it into oblivion. :laughing9: I think the other classmates started to think I was a bit skanky because I looked so bad. One snooty classmate finally told me to "brush my hair." I eventaully got a super-curly perm for a few years until I grew it out and realized I had gotten naturally curly.

TN summers can every humid. I've been lurking here for a few months and finally have it under control. I'm 29 and around a 3a now. It's so nice and shiny and curly and soft, and I can thank you ladies for all the advice I've been reading. A lot of my products have gone into the garbage.

My 6 year-old niece has the most beautiful dark blonde curly hair. She looks like Rapunzel. When she was a toddler, her hair was this mass of tight ringlets on the top of her head, and a couple of ladies commented that "how dare her parents get her a perm at that age."
    Ah, the uneducated masses..... (totally just kidding) That bugs me when people just naturally assume you have a perm, I guess coming from a curly person's POV, I assume everyone with curls has them naturally until they tell me otherwise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file