Funniest hair comments you've received

There are the clueless comments one gets once she goes natural like, "What are you going to do with it?

Where does that question come from anyway? Must I do something more? Anyway...

But some comments are funny. E.g., my ex recently said to me, "So what do you call those...plugs?"

Yours?

Comments

• Sun-ReiSun-Rei Posts: 275Registered Users
    I've gotten that one too. Also, I love "I liked it better before" (before being when I first BCed and everyone was shocked, so really they'll like what I have now in 5 more months :lol: )
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    i have two...

1) my sister said....your natural hair makes you look older. i would never want to wear natural hair". I felt like this was a complete dis....who wants to be told they look "older"!

2) you guys have heard this one....as i was preparing to do a coil-out last week, my husband told me that my coils made me look like a "domestic". he thought i was planning to wear the 50 coils that I put in my hair instead of the "coil-out"

oh well...i'm feeling very confident with this hair now so comments or strange looks don't faze me anymore :D
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Keep 'em coming! This could be a fun piece to break out into an article for the home page!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • MissshannonMissshannon Posts: 20Registered Users
    missmonie wrote:
    i have a two...

1) my sister said....your natural hair makes you look older. i would never want to wear natural hair". I felt like this was a complete dis....who wants to be told they look "older"!

My sister said the same exact thing to me minus the I wouldn't want to go natural (IN FACT i'm in the process of saving her from the dark side as we speak :P) but she meant it in a good way because I'm young and she said I look older and more mature. Huh go figure.

ooh but I have gotten a few funny comments such as "you lost brownie points" "You were outdoing females before why did you cut it?" ( as if I'm still not outdoing females just because my hair is natural?) "Is it growing?" (hell yeah it is!). Although the winning funny comment is What are you going to do with it and if it's going to look like that why did you go natural?
  • kdkd Posts: 291Registered Users
    if you know me then you know im ALWAYS changing my hair; so when i went natural my dad remarked "oh, so now you have gone and put a s curl kit in your hair, what's next" i DIED laughing :cheers: i told him no dad it's my natural curl patterm considering i got my texture from YOU!
    comic-p.jpg

Hairveda Whipped cream, suave tropical coconut, kenra, pantene r&n mask:color:http://public.fotki.com/silkycurlskd/

event.png
  • ChelseaCoutureChelseaCouture Posts: 6Registered Users
    I was talking to my friend my second year of high school, and told her that I was going to go upstairs to my room and wash my hair (boarding school.) She looked at me like :shock: and said "You WASH your 'FRO?" And I'm like, "Yeah...why wouldn't I?" and she goes "Because its a ...'FRO!" I was like, "Umm...it's still hair." :scratch:
    Ashley Chelsea <3
  • naiha1naiha1 Posts: 209Registered Users
    I have two:

1) My husband didn't say a word after the big chop, his facial expression said plenty (and it was not a look of shock either!)

2) I had gotten very frustrated with my hair a couple of years ago and was contemplating a relaxer, A good friend of mine said "well I think you should relax it especially since your not really doing anything with your hair now! " :blackeye: (she meant well)
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was talking to my friend my second year of high school, and told her that I was going to go upstairs to my room and wash my hair (boarding school.) She looked at me like :shock: and said "You WASH your 'FRO?" And I'm like, "Yeah...why wouldn't I?" and she goes "Because its a ...'FRO!" I was like, "Umm...it's still hair." :scratch:

:scratch:
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i used to do child care, so the kids would always ask me about my hair(all of them and their family member had/have straight hair). one time 3 yr old abigail goes," ms kaila, how do youget your hair like that?"
    me: "its just like that. i dont do anything to it."
    her: "do you curl your hair everyday?"
    me: "no. i was born with curly hair."
    her: "you curled it when you were a baby?"
    me: "no. i dont curl it everyday. its just like this. my mom and dad gave me hair like this."
    her: "ohhhhhhhhhh...so your mommy and daddy curl your hair!"

to this day, they all still think i curl my hair every morning.
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users

Now, this is hilarious! Its amazing to find out what people think :laughing9:
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/
  • runrunrunnerrunrunrunner Posts: 196Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    haha.
    i went to the mall w/ my mother and 2 cousins recently
    one of my cousins (who's the same age as my mother)
    was asking about my hair and asking what i do to it
    then she goes "YOU DONT PUT MAYONNAISE IN YOUR HAIR, DO YOU?!?!"

errrr...
    i dont, but hahaha

i mean, i know some people use mayo in their hair
    but the way she said it was so random and weird
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    haha.

errrr...
    i dont, but hahaha

"No but I like to do a deep treatment with pureed deli meats and pickles" :clown:
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • runrunrunnerrunrunrunner Posts: 196Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    haha.

errrr...
    i dont, but hahaha

"No but I like to do a deep treatment with pureed deli meats and pickles" :clown:

hahahahahaha!

dang, too bad i didnt think of that one :-P
  • aunatural1aunatural1 Posts: 156Registered Users
    I have a few..just offensive.. sorry if its long

In JAX FL, we were picking up my nephew from the projects.. and this group of guys were walking by, when one said.. "Look at that B*tch with all that weave!" (I couldn't believe a grown man would act that way)

My mother in-law (who is mixed 3b/3c (maybe even 3a)) always talks about my daughter's hair (4a/4b some 3c with a sandy red-brwn color) being real nappy, and she's made a comment a time or two like.. "U got hair like that, don't u?!" And told me I was in denial about her hair.. I know my baby's hair is kinkier than mine.. but it can still look nice.. just IGNANT!

When I first went natural, my so-called bestfriend said.. "I don't understand why women wanna walk around with nappy hair.. I couldn't do it!" :blackeye: She never was the think before u speak type! Yeah, 2 years later, I got her to use moose and airdry for the natural look (and she says she'd like to.. but doesn't want to cut her hair!) HA..

I had a cousin ask me what I "DO" to get it this way.. when I told her a Leave-in conditioner and gel, she looked at me like I was crazy.. then she wanted an actual demonstration! (she doesnt get that NOT ALL BLK PPL HAVE THE SAME HAIR!!)

and lastly...

I went to get my brows done at a fantastic sams.. an older lady washing someone's hair asked if I had a strawset... like 4 times.. (I kept saying no, and telling her that I use gel) Then the lady doing my "Brows" starts lifting my hair and feeling my roots, like she was looking for tracks! I thought that was pretty rude since I only wanted wax.. but funny at the same time!
    comic-p.jpg
    4a with some 3c
    Last Relaxer: Nov 04
    BC: March 05
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    OMG, yes, ignant is the word for some people.

My mother, when talking about my natural hair, also did something similar. She actually curled her lip in disgust and told me how nappy it was (this was years ago). Either that was when she curled her lip, or it was the time when she expressed disappointment that I didn't get my grandmother's blue eyes. Gee, sorry, mom...

I'd post the eye roll emoticon, but I don't feel like looking for it.
  • naturalbeauty7naturalbeauty7 Posts: 133Registered Users
    before i moved away from home and moved to college i was at my hair stylist salon about to get a press n' curl, I had just gotten my hair washed and I was waiting for my stylist to blow dry my hair this lady said to me, "chil' your hair looks like a jerri curl that needs to be touched up". I don't even think i responded. Because i used to press my hair alot back then my curls were alot loser but i was just think HOW RUDE!!! don't people realize that you don't have to be mixed with something to have some curl to your hair.
    4A--always searching to better moisturize my hair, keep it healthy, and keep it growing. ~God made curly hair for--simply put--beauty!
    http://public.fotki.com/godsnaturalchild7/
  • SaraNEvansMommySaraNEvansMommy Posts: 73Registered Users
    don't people realize that you don't have to be mixed with something to have some curl to your hair.

jumping in here :bounce: LOL

One of the black girls I work with says that any "black" person with curl in their hair naturally has got some sort of different race mixed in :blackeye: i'm like.... really??? (being I'm white). She swears that natural african american hair (with no white/indian/european ancestors) has nothing but kinky hair that "HAS" to be relaxed.

So, call me confused. I'm trying to figure all this hair stuff out LOL :laughing9:
    PW: curlz
    2b/3a/fine/lazy waves with some curls thrown in
    Experimenting with Activate shampoo, VO5 PassionFruit Moisture Milks condish, leaving-in Sally's Honey and Almond, scrunching in BRHG
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    don't people realize that you don't have to be mixed with something to have some curl to your hair.

One of the black girls I work with says that any "black" person with curl in their hair naturally has got some sort of different race mixed in :blackeye: i'm like.... really??? (being I'm white). She swears that natural african american hair (with no white/indian/european ancestors) has nothing but kinky hair that "HAS" to be relaxed.

So, call me confused. I'm trying to figure all this hair stuff out LOL :laughing9:

Howdy-

Not to start a whole 'nother thread but I don't think I know any african americans hair who don't have white/indian/european ancestors. To me that is the definition of "african american." Africans may be different. But there's a lot of race mixing in Africa also. Slavery was that pervasive.
    OOOoh.. I almost forgot one of the greatest...
    A friends aunt was, I guess, complimenting my hair.. when I heard her catch herself saying.. "I just love your nap---- hair like that!" :scratch: thanks.. I think.. BUT I HEARD YOU! I hate both form of the "N" word!
    comic-p.jpg
    4a with some 3c
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    aunatural1 wrote:
    OOOoh.. I almost forgot one of the greatest...
    A friends aunt was, I guess, complimenting my hair.. when I heard her catch herself saying.. "I just love your nap---- hair like that!" :scratch: thanks.. I think.. BUT I HEARD YOU! I hate both form of the "N" word!

just out of curiosity, why do you hate the word "nappy"?

*THIS IS NOT A TRICK! I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHY..*
    It's just a very negative word to me.. It's always associated with unmanageable.. "bad" hair! I had one of my own aunts tell me that she remembered combing my hair when I was little.. "It was so nappy!" She didn't mean that in a good way.. then she told me how pretty my hair was at that current time (also feeling for tracks)... I told her it was because I was taking care of it myself.. It's sad that even blk ppl that had afros back in the day used the word in such a negative way!
    comic-p.jpg
    4a with some 3c
  • freshkinkycutfreshkinkycut Posts: 111Registered Users
    Ever since i did the BC, people keep addressing me as "my sista".....i mean, did i become a black activist because i cut my hair? "hey my sista"..."my sista u r wearing that afro".....i think they expect me to walk around saying "power to the people!"
    Hairveda convert for 2009! :wave:
    http://public.fotki.com/freshkinkycut/

event.png

comic-p.jpg
    i hate the word nappy also, its like we are soo trained to think of our tighter curls as something bad. But anywho's i definately agree most black people do have some mixture in them. I do, however, both of my parents are black and have indian and other kind of mutt mixtures in our ancestry.
    4A--always searching to better moisturize my hair, keep it healthy, and keep it growing. ~God made curly hair for--simply put--beauty!
    i hate the word nappy also, its like we are soo trained to think of our tighter curls as something bad. But anywho's i definately agree most black people do have some mixture in them. I do, however, both of my parents are black and have indian and other kind of mutt mixtures in our ancestry.

Exactly.. an ex-boyfriend used to say that my hair wasn't curly.. I just thought.. "DUMMY!" [laughs] specially since alot of mine are pencil size.. u can see it! I got the mixtures too.. I got some Jewish on my dads side (among other things), so I was going to have kinkier curly hair anyway.. =) (pp please don't take offense.. some Jewish folks have thick kinky curls!)
    comic-p.jpg
    4a with some 3c
    Ever since i did the BC, people keep addressing me as "my sista".....i mean, did i become a black activist because i cut my hair? "hey my sista"..."my sista u r wearing that afro".....i think they expect me to walk around saying "power to the people!"

[fist in the air] Stay Black mah Soul Sista! [laughs] I feel you.. I AM an African American history major w/ natural hair.. but no dashikis (sp?) for me! :afro:
    comic-p.jpg
    4a with some 3c
    ha ha! Black hair is sooo diverse. Most black folk or just folk period have mixtures. And most black folk have curly hair but they never know cus their mothers combed out the curls everytime they washed it and then when they got older the permed it. So we have been very uneducated about our hair. I am still trying to appreciate my hair after it shrinks and begins to poof after the initial curl when its wet. But for all the people out there who do get it and say stupid things about our hair their just ignorant cus they don't know any better.
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users

That's so funny!! This just made me remember a comment a woman made to me a few weeks ago. She was asking me tons of questions about my hair and then she said "you look like you read a lot of different types of books....that's the aura you're giving off". Well that threw me for a loop because between two kids, cooking, cleaning and working, I've probably read 2 books in the past 2 years! I have no idea what aura this woman was feeling :-)
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    missmonie wrote:

That's so funny!! This just made me remember a comment a woman made to me a few weeks ago. She was asking me tons of questions about my hair and then she said "you look like you read a lot of different types of books....that's the aura you're giving off". Well that threw me for a loop because between two kids, cooking, cleaning and working, I've probably read 2 books in the past 2 years! I have no idea what aura this woman was feeling :-)

OMG... glad to know that I'm not alone in being "hairstyle profiled" Since I've gone natural, I've had several people tel me that I look like I write poetry... :scratch: really? How do I "look" like I write poetry??? On one occasion, someone made the comment before I even opend my mouth to speak!
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • frizzybarbiefrizzybarbie Posts: 483Registered Users
    On two occasions when I was shopping I had perfect strangers approach me and ask what kind of perm I used to get those curls...lol :laughing6:
    4a pencil-sized corkscrews that are low porosity, fine, thick, & layered
  • Sun-ReiSun-Rei Posts: 275Registered Users
    Kimshi42 wrote:

Howdy-

Not to start a whole 'nother thread but I don't think I know any african americans hair who don't have white/indian/european ancestors. To me that is the definition of "african american." Africans may be different. But there's a lot of race mixing in Africa also. Slavery was that pervasive.

:bounce: Okay, that's a personal pet peeve of mine. My dad was Senegalese with nothing but Senegalese Ancestors (I've been shown 15 generations back) and was a 3c/4a while my mother is a Black American with Irish, Black, and Native ancestors and is a 4a/4b. Everyone across the world no matter nationality, race, or ethnicity can have ANY type of hair and it can all be mixed on one head if it wants to be. It's not always about mixed lineage.

That reminds me, one of the things people say about my hair is that "I must not have taken after my dad at all", you know, because he was African. :twisted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file