Why do you need a license to purchase at a beauty supply?

CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
I was very excited when I saw the new Cosmo Prof being built and thought it was just a new beauty supply store.

Until I pulled into the parking lot last night and saw the sign that said "Licensed Professionals Only."

Why do they do that? Aren't they hurting their chance to make more in sales if they are open to the general public? Are they concerned about people re-selling the products or something like that?

I'm just curious because this is the second store like that to open up around here. The first was Ace Beauty Systems.
3b (I think!)
HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    It depends on the state. I believe NJ is more lenient about who can shop at beauty supply stores.
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    I would think it's because they want to sell only wholesale amounts of beauty products to professionals who have tax ID's/licenses/etc...? Not sure though, most beauty supply stores in the city sell to everyone who walks in, no minimum...
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Maybe certain products are marketed as "for professional use only" and the manufacturers don't want to assume the liability of the products harming people if used incorrectly?

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    To make sure you use the items properly. Most people don't know the difference between 10 vol and 40 vol peroxide.
    Since I no longer have my license, but know what I'm doing, it irritates me that I can't buy some things for my personal use.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    That all does make sense. I was just curious. I guess it does boil down to a liability thing.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Registered Users Posts: 208
    It's at wholesale. If they sold to everybody then why would a salon front the cost of the product if they can't mark it up before reselling? It just has to do with the relationship between the product companies and the vendors that support their at home products not to mention salon services that use their products as well (hair color etc.)
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    ~
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    I was very excited when I saw the new Cosmo Prof being built and thought it was just a new beauty supply store.

Until I pulled into the parking lot last night and saw the sign that said "Licensed Professionals Only."

Why do they do that? Aren't they hurting their chance to make more in sales if they are open to the general public? Are they concerned about people re-selling the products or something like that?

I'm just curious because this is the second store like that to open up around here. The first was Ace Beauty Systems.

:?:

I go to a beauty supply store in Islip (right on Main Street). I've never seen such a sign there. Or maybe there is one and they don't enforce it.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur

Because they know you will go willynilly with your product junkiness and will try to use all that stuff you are buying on unsuspecting non-cg'ers!!! :lol:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CosmetologistCosmetologist Registered Users Posts: 1
    I am a licensed Cosmetologist. CosmoProf is a business support group. They sell at wholesale prices, and only licensed beauty professionals are given the privilege to pay wholesale because that is their profession. CosmoProf is where your salon owners shop, and then the salons sell the products to customers. So CosmoProf is not losing any money buy not selling to you, because they are still selling only they are selling it through the salon. Don't be discouraged, everything CosmoProf sells can be purchased at a salon, except for certain salon supplies, chemicals such as perms, color, etc.The specific chemicals they sell are for professional sale only for safety reasons. All that is on there shelves are salon products, salon supplies, and a wide variety of hair cutting shears, clippers, etc. which you wouldn't have a need for salon supplies anyways if you're not a professional. If you're looking for a beauty supply, I suggest Ulta if you have one near you. They sell everything CosmoProf sells except for the chemicals/salon supplies.
  • Blondielh4Blondielh4 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    You know why you can’t purchase professional products? Because you didn’t spend 20k to get a license to purchase professional products. We did. Stop asking to buy stuff you’re not allowed to buy. If you want them then do like we did, become a professional. You want to do your own hair at home, then use the box dye. That is what it’s there for. You’re not a professional that knows how to use it, so you shouldn’t be allowed to buy it. It’s because the maker only wanted PROFESSIONALS to use it because it’s usually made by a Professional that is trying to protect the industry they invested their time, money, and hard work for. To be used as intended with the results it intended. Not by unprofessional people that didn’t put the time, work, or 20k that we spend to be able to buy it. Respect the industry laws please. We make our living with these products while you don’t.
  • LuckySoNSoLuckySoNSo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Salty much, Blondie? 😂 Wow. I assure you, that attitude's worse for business than a few people trying to buy the same stuff wholesale that you're peddling at your shop. Drop the bitterness. Get some pills or something.
  • Trashy_sweatervestTrashy_sweatervest Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Wow, I've never seen such an entitled negative attitude, Blondie. Being able to purchase products for non-commercial use should be allowed. Plumbers spend a lot of time and money to get a license, but I'm still allowed to purchase plumbing supplies and work on MY OWN HOUSE. I'm able to buy all kinds of chemicals to make my own skin treatments and serums and I can even sell them, but I can't buy some shampoo? And it really doesn't take business away from licensed professionals. If the person is like me, and wants to do things on their own, not having access to professional quality supplies isn't going to make me go to a salon, it's going to make me cheat and get a friend to buy me stuff. Most people aren't going to DIY things. There is plenty of market for licensed professionals. If you feel that there isn't or that you struggle to get clients, maybe you should read a little about capitalism and do a self-assessment. You have to be good enough to make people want to give you their money. And I'm sure your condescending attitude about spending 20k for the privilege of shopping at a store doesn't help. The manufacturer of developer isn't liable for someone disregarding explicit warnings. Plenty of dangerous chemicals are available for purchase. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to use products safely. I'm able to buy all kinds of chemicals to make my own skin treatments and serums and I can even sell them, but I can't buy some shampoo? It's all protectionist **** that is put in place so there doesn't have to be a meritocracy. And so cosmetologists can close off a little club to keep others out of what, in reality, is a pretty easy job.
  • LincedsLinceds Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Ok Blondie, First of all, who are you to tell anyone what they NEED to do to be able to buy what you buy? They selll bleach at Sally’s, I can buy it there, why can’t WE buy it where you do? With online tutorials and YouTube, you can pretty much accomplish anything you want! You or anyone else shouldn’t be able to tell me what I can and can’t do at my own risk to MY hair! The woman above made a very good point, my husband remodels homes, he paid more than that to go to school for it! Now say somehow you get a broken window, but unfortunately you can’t just go to Home Depot and purchase it because YOU ARE NOT A PROFESSIONAL! Shouldn’t you be able to go buy that window and try to install it yourself to save some money? My husband can, now he can charge you as much as he wants for the window and the installation because you are not a skilled tradesman! Anyone can learn anything just like you did, you learned alot in school I’m sure, but I learned what I needed to myself to fit my needs right on YouTube? Even better, you wanted to paint your house, you didn’t go to school for it, so instead of paying 30$ for a gallon of paint, you need to call my husband so he can do it for you! That 30$ gallon of paint just turned into 600$ that he’s going to charge you to paint your bathroom! Doesn’t seem so fair now does it? You know o really get that hairdressers are very patient and they need to learn a lot before getting down to business, I also respect the job they do and I’m all for hair salons, but not everyone can afford to go to a hair Salon every six weeks! You should really learn to Think before you Speak! If someone took your right to fix or touch up your home because you aren’t a professional, you wouldn’t be very happy! Well that’s how we feel about not being able to color our own hair at home with the products we want so we can come to you and you can charge us 250$ for what we can do for 20$! THE PEOPLE WHO CAN AFFORD TO COME TO A SALON WILL STILL DO SO! I’ve learned how to do my own hair very well fair and square, I should be able to buy whatever you buy just like you can go buy whatever my Husband can go buy!
  • HaileyrheaHaileyrhea Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    You want to do your own hair at home, then use the box dye. That is what it’s there for. You’re not a professional that knows how to use it, so you shouldn’t be allowed to buy it.
    This statement is so completely backwards!  If anything, not being a professional means you need it more than anybody. A professional could probably take the box dye and not completely ruin their/your hair. A non pro needs the higher quality products because they are safer. If you’re going to DIY, you will DIY. The higher quality products should be available in my opinion. With that said, I understand that professional stylists sell products as well. Just like boutique owners buy clothing at discounted rates, so should the stylists. Yet they could still be available for the general public as well. The person who pointed out the plumber scenario was spot on. A pro plumber also would get the “supplies”  at a pro-rated discount. Where do you think the term pro-rated comes from?   Nothing should be excluded from being purchased based solely on licensing. Beauty is literally the only industry that does this. Discounted pricing with a license?  Absolutely. Complete exclusion from purchase? Ridiculous 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file