Is my hair afro or curly???

MissCurlyMissCurly Posts: 133Registered Users
Sorry I'm at work so I can't post pics right now, but my hair is like a 3b/4a when wet and when I wash and put conditioner in it looks curly and feels soft. After my hair drys it literal gets and feels dry and afro looking. I tried usings gels, creams or whatever to keep it curly but after a while that makes my hair dry to the touch sometimes crispy. All I want is my hair to look and feel soft and stay curly not fro up and loose all curl after it dries.

Can anyone help me or explain this to me???

I'm posting this on different boards cause I need help bad!
3c/4a Relaxer free since 04!

Comments

• missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    I feel your pain!! My hair also forms a "curly fro"....but I get better curl definition that I can maintain throughout the day if I follow these steps:

-Co-wash with a moisturizing conditioner and brush the conditioner through with my Denman brush,

-Rinse without disturbing the clumped curls,

-Apply a moisturizing leave-in (i'm in love with karens body beautiful hair milk which keeps my hair soft and moisturized all day),

-Rake or brush (with Denman) styling product through small sections of my hair (12 or so sections). I find that gels work best for my hair.

Hope that helps!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The more moisture your hair can retain when dry the more defined your texture will be, whether it's wavy, curly, coily, afrocoily, zigzaggy, etc. Not moisture that keeps your hair wet, but moisture your dry hair retains inside the hair shaft.

The products you use should encourage moisture inside the hair. "Curl activators" or glycerin-heavy products that keep the hair damp are not what I'm talking about because if your hair doesn't have enough moisture, glycerin will ultimately dry it out.

Products with ingredients that keep moisture away from hair are also not a good idea (silicones, mineral oils, heavy waxes, lanolin, paraffin). They can build up on your hair, make your hair "crispy" or hard, as can too much protein for some heads. And then you have to use a sulfate-containing shampoo to get them out. Frequent shampooing can leach moisture from your hair especially if your shampoo contains a sulfate.

OTOH, natural oils and butters, deep conditioners with moisturizing ingredients, rinseout conditioners with softeners/detanglers, and leave-in conditioners, if used frequently can enhance texture over time. Another way to get more defined texture is to do twists, shingling and finger coils. Hopefully someone else can explain those.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I had the exact same question about my hair. Fro when dry, curly when wet. Which am I?

Thanks for posting...You've got some great answers already. The ladies here know sooo much.
  • kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    The best way that I've found to keep my hair curly is to use a moisturizing (creamy) leave-in under a medium hold gel. My hair has to dry a little crunchy to keep it's curls. And I only get one chance to style it - if I touch it while it's drying, then I lose my curl definition.
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Kimshi42 wrote:
    I had the exact same question about my hair. Fro when dry, curly when wet. Which am I?

I think this describes most people's hair in the 3c-4 range, and a good amount of the 3Bs also.

The thing is, it's not really a question of which- the hair is "afro" (in the sense that it looks like the Afro hair style, not really referring to origins) *and* curly. Most hair that looks like an Afro is curly-just that each individual curly strand is separate so you can't see the curls as easily.

Like Suburbanbushbabe already mentioned, to keep the curls clumped together it's important to trap moisture inside of the strand, to mimic the effect you get when the hair is soaking wet. I've found that keeping my hair as moisturized as possible-especially in terms of the conditioners I use and the amount of conditioning I do- helps the most with definition.
  • MissCurlyMissCurly Posts: 133Registered Users
    Thanks everyone for your comments and replies.

I tried adding more moisture to my hair and it still ends up dry. Even after I co wash or regular wash and condition. I usually mix a leave in with some gel that helps my curls to stay but it stills feels a little rough to the touch. It only lasts a day because after that my hair becomes crusty and sometimes white so I have to shampoo all that crap out of my hair and start all over. I can't do this everyday.

I just want to wake up to soft touchable curls and not a dry mess. Maybe I'm not adding enough moisture or just not applying it correctly.
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    Do you have any pictures of your hair?? I think that if you follow the CG or modified CG routine, you should see some differences after a month or so. It may not be as soft or defined as you like, but it will definitely get better with time! Hang in there. Try some good products consistently for a few weeks and see if things change.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    MissCurly wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your comments and replies.

I tried adding more moisture to my hair and it still ends up dry. Even after I co wash or regular wash and condition. I usually mix a leave in with some gel that helps my curls to stay but it stills feels a little rough to the touch. It only lasts a day because after that my hair becomes crusty and sometimes white so I have to shampoo all that crap out of my hair and start all over. I can't do this everyday.

I just want to wake up to soft touchable curls and not a dry mess. Maybe I'm not adding enough moisture or just not applying it correctly.

I had the same problem my whole natural journey.When I became natural in jan 2007 I wash my hair everyday and I put so much olive oil on my hair and scalp because I misunderstood about applying oils to my hair and how my hair was suppose to be wash.My hair was overconditioned too.What I started to do now was wash my hair every 3 days or 4 days.If I wash on sunday then my next wash day would be on wed.I read on other sites is to do a treatment everytime I wash so what I do is put the oil ,avocado,honey,bananna,and coconut milk mixture in my hair then I rinse it out and clarify,then I wash my hair with conditioner.Sometimes I do a hot oil treatment instead of the mixture.My hair has gotten better.I also braided my hair in 2 big plaits with my extensions if my hair is in a mess.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • CuteCoilsCuteCoils Posts: 118Registered Users
    If you need a richer leave-in that's great for curl definition, Rasta Jamaican mango & Lime Cactus Leave-in (original) is really good. If you just need more softness try Carol's Daughter hair Milk or Cantu SHea butter leave-In or Sat-Sof Fro...

HTH!
    Products and Books That Changed My Life!:

1. Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book
    by Jane Johnson (amazon.com)

2. Honey+Conditioner=The BestDang DT, Ever!

3. Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta 'Poo&Cond.
    4. Hair Milk
    I think I have alot of heat damage also, because lately I've been wearing wigs. But I wash my hair moisturize it and then braid it up before putting the wig on. I notice after my hair dries the ends are bone straight. After straightening my hair it takes a few weeks for the ends to curl back up copletely. I may have to "Transition" all over again

I'm going to wash my hair tommorow so I'll post pics then so you guys can see what I'm talking about.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    MissCurly wrote:
    I think I have alot of heat damage also, because lately I've been wearing wigs. But I wash my hair moisturize it and then braid it up before putting the wig on. I notice after my hair dries the ends are bone straight. After straightening my hair it takes a few weeks for the ends to curl back up copletely. I may have to "Transition" all over again

I'm going to wash my hair tomorrow so I'll post pics then so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

MissCurly,

A few questions for you...your answers can better help us help you.

--What product do you use to wash your hair?(please post ingredients)

--How often do you wash your hair?

--What type of product do you use to moisturize the hair? (please post ingredients)

--What type of conditioner do you use after shampooing? (please post ingredients)

--Do you do deep conditioner treatments? If so, how often?

--What kind of inside does the wig have?

--Do you sleep with your hair out or bound?

--Do you sleep on cotton pillowcases without covering your hair at night?

--Do you cover your at night? If so, with what type of material?

--Do you prefer to buy products at a store or online or does it matter?

--Do you have a Trader Joes, Ulta or Trade Secret near you?

Sorry for all of the questions...:P But we want to end your dryness.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote:
    MissCurly,

A few questions for you...your answers can better help us help you.

--What product do you use to wash your hair?(please post ingredients)

--How often do you wash your hair?

--What type of product do you use to moisturize the hair? (please post ingredients)

--What type of conditioner do you use after shampooing? (please post ingredients)

--Do you do deep conditioner treatments? If so, how often?

--What kind of inside does the wig have?

--Do you sleep with your hair out or bound?

--Do you sleep on cotton pillowcases without covering your hair at night?

--Do you cover your at night? If so, with what type of material?

--Do you prefer to buy products at a store or online or does it matter?

--Do you have a Trader Joes, Ulta or Trade Secret near you?

Sorry for all of the questions... But we want to end your dryness.

As far as all the questions about what products I use to wash, condition, moisturize, ect

I dont have a routine anymore but I'll just give you a quick run down of things and products I've tried.

Shampoos: Deva Curl No Poo, V05 Moisture Milks (all of them), Suave Naturals(all of them), Panteene- I stopped once I found out about cones, I tried using this baking soda rinse someone else suggested that was a nightmare

Conditioners: I tried daily cowashing w/ V05 Moisture Milks, Suave Naturals, Curls Asain Tea Something lol, Garnier all of the curly products, Mixed Chicks, Mayonaise from the fridge( that actually smoothes and adds moisture but after I style my hair it still gets dry)

LeaveIn- [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink](made my hair soft when wet but over night it dried up again), Paul Mitchels the conditioner, Kinky Curly leave in forgot the name( left my hair feeling like wax)

Stylers: Garnier Soft curl creme and hard curl gel( both kept the curl but left my hair very dry to the touch) Fantasia blue and clear gel (both leave my hair with buildup and dry, after using it I have to shampoo the next day or my hair is awful), all curl activator products ( left my hair greasy yet dry) I tried mixing the gels and such with water but that doesnt help. It doesnt matter how little or how much I use either I get the same results.

Oils: I tried them all Olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, carrot oil, all essential oils( they made no difference in my hair)

Since I became natural I have become a product junkie I have tried almost every product reccommended on this board and they make no difference. I tried co washing weekly, daily, deep conditioning weekly even every other week. Nothing works. I'm starting to wonder why I even became natural in the first place. This is more expensive and time consuming than when my hair was relaxed. If my hair doesn't improve I will go back to relaxers cause I feel like my hair was in better condition then( I know that sounds weird).

For a while I was getting my hair blown out by Dominicans, when they do it my hair it straight and silky it looks great. The only thing is all the heat to my scalp I'm starting to get bald spots in the front because my hair is thinning. Now I wear wigs because I dont want to put anymore heat on my hair, but my natural hair is all messed up and dry that I can't wear it either.

At night I wear either a silk scarf or a bonet because my pillows are cotton. However that makes no difference what I wear on my head at night the end result is still dryness. I've tried putting it on ponytails at night and braiding it all that does it flatten and dry it out when I wake up.

Yes I live in New York and we do have a Trader Joes I see people post about that store alot on here. As far as buying online most of the products that are suggested here and in books for curly girls I can get from a store here so why wait and pay extra for shipping online when I can just go and get it right away. Plus I can see the product I'm getting before I waste money.

I was wearing one of those regular wigs from the beauty supply store but recently I purchased one of those lace wigs. I want it to look more natural. I'm still trying to figure out how to glue or tape that thing to my head, I think you have to have a big forehead or shave your hair far back. Anyway..................

I know this post is long but I think I answered all your questions lol
    MissCurly-I read on a hair site that we should observe our curls while there is conditioner in our hair.If the curls are defined then your are doing something right. I would mix allot of my aloe vera gel juice with my sauve conditioner and abit of shea butter.The curls appear with this mixture but it had troubles appearing when I didn`t add the aloe vera juice + shea butter.My hair would look poofy at the back without it.I realise that my hair love conditioners that has a yogurt feeling.I use to be a product junkie too and nothing work well to bring out all my curls.Now I know the secret is with the conditioner.

If your hair looks poofy with the conditioner then its going to look poofy after its done.I think it also depends on the conditioner.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    holly8 wrote:
    If the curls are defined then your are doing something right.

Why? :?

The shampoo might be drying out your hair.I don`t shampoo anymore I just clarify with baking soda.Its good to change your routine many times to see what works for you.I change many times since my BC.Don`t give up :)
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

holly8 wrote:
    If the curls are defined then your are doing something right.

Why? :?

I was talking about what they said on'' tip No 2'' sorry I wasn`t clear.

http://www.urbanbella.net/shop/curlycond101.html
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

MissCurly,

Thanks for listing all of your products.

I asked about preference of ordering online or buying in the store so people can make recommendations. Some people prefer not to buy online at all. Also, a lot of people suggest TJ conditioner, but if there isn't a store near you, doesn't do you much good.

Have you recently had a trim? Trimming damaged ends can make a world of difference.

I agree, you may have some heat damage.

I am off to work, but will write more later. Hopefully, other posters can chime in on some suggestions.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Misscurly, if you can post a picture it would really help. It sounds like you're doing all the right things but without actually seeing your hair, it's hard to help further. Also before switching products, give one routein a week to see results.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    That is good advice, SBBB.
  • Fre3siaFre3sia Posts: 21Registered Users
    holly8 wrote:

I had the same problem my whole natural journey.When I became natural in jan 2007 I wash my hair everyday and I put so much olive oil on my hair and scalp because I misunderstood about applying oils to my hair and how my hair was suppose to be wash. My hair was overconditioned too.What I started to do now was wash my hair every 3 days or 4 days.If I wash on sunday then my next wash day would be on wed.I read on other sites is to do a treatment everytime I wash so what I do is put the oil ,avocado,honey,bananna,and coconut milk mixture in my hair then I rinse it out and clarify,then I wash my hair with conditioner.Sometimes I do a hot oil treatment instead of the mixture.My hair has gotten better.I also braided my hair in 2 big plaits with my extensions if my hair is in a mess.

This sounds like what happened to my hair. When it was overconditioned, it became very porous and would not retain any moisture. Any softness it gained from conditioners dried up in a matter of hours (or in some cases, an hour). It was frustrating until I tried a keratin conditioner. It seemed that after my hair got a little bit of protein (but not too much) it was able to hold onto moisture for much longer. My strands are very fine, so I think it is easy for my hair to become overwhelmed by either protein or moisture.

If you are certain your protein/moisture balance might be off, try a light protein conditioner. If you're unsure, I've heard that a mixture of one part conditioner, one part extra virgin olive oil, and one avacodo mashed and warned slightly makes a fairly balanced hair masque.

Also...I wonder. Did you mention what you use to clarify? (Sorry if I missed it.) Sometimes product build-up will interfere with the hair's ability to get the moisture it needs.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you soon.
    4a/4b teeny-tiny spirals
    Fre3sia wrote:
    holly8 wrote:

I had the same problem my whole natural journey.When I became natural in jan 2007 I wash my hair everyday and I put so much olive oil on my hair and scalp because I misunderstood about applying oils to my hair and how my hair was suppose to be wash. My hair was overconditioned too.What I started to do now was wash my hair every 3 days or 4 days.If I wash on sunday then my next wash day would be on wed.I read on other sites is to do a treatment everytime I wash so what I do is put the oil ,avocado,honey,bananna,and coconut milk mixture in my hair then I rinse it out and clarify,then I wash my hair with conditioner.Sometimes I do a hot oil treatment instead of the mixture.My hair has gotten better.I also braided my hair in 2 big plaits with my extensions if my hair is in a mess.

This sounds like what happened to my hair. When it was overconditioned, it became very porous and would not retain any moisture. Any softness it gained from conditioners dried up in a matter of hours (or in some cases, an hour). It was frustrating until I tried a keratin conditioner. It seemed that after my hair got a little bit of protein (but not too much) it was able to hold onto moisture for much longer. My strands are very fine, so I think it is easy for my hair to become overwhelmed by either protein or moisture.

If you are certain your protein/moisture balance might be off, try a light protein conditioner. If you're unsure, I've heard that a mixture of one part conditioner, one part extra virgin olive oil, and one avacodo mashed and warned slightly makes a fairly balanced hair masque.

Also...I wonder. Did you mention what you use to clarify? (Sorry if I missed it.) Sometimes product build-up will interfere with the hair's ability to get the moisture it needs.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you soon.

Thanks for the tip.I use baking soda to clarify now.Before that I use the curlicious curl cleansing cream and the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Volcanic-Clean-Mask-p-379.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-volcanic-clean-mask]volcanic clean mask[/buylink].I didn`t use those all the time like I was suppose to.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

• naturalbeauty7naturalbeauty7 Posts: 133Registered Users
    how do you know if the rasta jamaican mango lime leave in conditioner is original or not?? does it have cones?
    4A--always searching to better moisturize my hair, keep it healthy, and keep it growing. ~God made curly hair for--simply put--beauty!
    http://public.fotki.com/godsnaturalchild7/
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    how do you know if the rasta jamaican mango lime leave in conditioner is original or not?? does it have cones?

No. It does not have cones.

The ingredients list for each version are identical, however the new one is more opaque, with a whitish color, whilst the original is clear.
    I added a fotki album so you guys could see pictures of my dry hair!

http://public.fotki.com/misscurly/
    MissCurly,

Your hair doesn't look dry.

Can you take a photo of your hair dry without it having been put in twists or braided?

When was the last time you had a trim? Did you do a big chop or did you transition?
    I'll take a pic of my hair air dried without twists or braids. It may not look dry in the pictures but it definately feels dry.

I transitioned by accident actually. I used to get relaxers every 4 months and one day I go in and my stylists started telling me that I don't need a perm. So we decided to stop relaxing my hair expect on the edges. So for about a year my hair would only get relaxed on the edges to look smooth when she blow dried the rest of my hair. Then I moved and wasn't able to go to her anymore so I started going to Dominican salons to get blow outs. When I noticed my hair was so straight after they did it I decided to stop relaxing all together. So for a while the middle of my hair was really curly and the sides along my hairline were bone straight.

That whole time I never wore my hair curly I always blew it out and wore it straight, cause I was never taught how to take care of natural hair. The front slowly grew out and became curly like the rest of my hair. The only part that never grew out curly was a section in the very front. Which as you can see in the pics is still bone straight and I havent had a relaxer at all since 2005. One time after the Dominican lady washed my hair I actually looked at it and asked if I could get it to stay curly she said yea with gel and conditioner. So I started getting cornrolls in the front and wearing it curly in the back. But since I didnt know how to take care of it myhair always ended up dry and crispy from the gel.

Now I do my hair myself but its still feels dry and the curls will not stay without alot of gel. If I air dry my hair it turns from soft curls to a dry fro no matter what I put in it. Before now I never did my own hair I always went to the salon. I never chopped my hair the relaxer just grew out on its own and as I got regular trims the relaxed peices would just slowly get cut. So now I'm trying to learn how to take care of my own hair which is not easy for me.
  • CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    MissCurly wrote:
    I added a fotki album so you guys could see pictures of my dry hair!

http://public.fotki.com/misscurly/

If you're a 3c/4a, then you might be suffering from heat damage, because your hair (which doesn't look dry), does look like it's permanently straight from Domincan blowouts, etc. Dominican blowouts are notorious for damaging natural hair, because the heat they use is so high, fine haired naturals cannot take it sometimes.

When was your last blowout/straightened hair?
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
    jeamaria--ok thanks for clueing me in on the difference with the rasta jamaican mango lime. is the body supposed to say apply all over skin? I was confused when i saw this in the beauty supply store. I was thinking maybe they have a body lotion line also.
    4A--always searching to better moisturize my hair, keep it healthy, and keep it growing. ~God made curly hair for--simply put--beauty!
    ps and it was a greenish color
    Cheleigh wrote:
    If you're a 3c/4a, then you might be suffering from heat damage, because your hair (which doesn't look dry), does look like it's permanently straight from Domincan blowouts, etc. Dominican blowouts are notorious for damaging natural hair, because the heat they use is so high, fine haired naturals cannot take it sometimes.

When was your last blowout/straightened hair?

My last blow out was in May I told the lady not to blow dry my roots and edges to hard. So it turned out straight but puffy at the roots. Then two weeks ago I air dried my hair and then took a flat iron to it. Everyone thought it looked nice but it had this burned smell to.

Its hard for me not to put heat to my hair because I can't wear it natural like everyone on this board. The front of my hair starts to get curls at the roots but the ends a very straight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file