The comments

MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
The comments that people have been making are really getting to me today. I'm angry and I want to punch someone and curl up in the corner and cry at the same time.

My due date is only 7 weeks away. No, it's not twins. Thanks for commenting on my hips.

:cry:

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    (((HUGS))))

I still can't believe some of the things that people feel are appropriate to say to pregnant women. I'm sorry, Sweetie.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Just tell them to kiss your pregnant a$$...this is what it looks like when one is full-of-life and they must be envious to have lost their tact when speaking to a pregnant woman. Classless...
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    Awwww.....I'm sorry. I can imagine you're just tired of hearing it by now. I also can't believe people think it's appropriate to say things like that. I'm trying to think of good zingers so I'm prepared!!

Hugs for you though. Just take a deep breath.

And eat something tasty! :wink:
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm getting the comments and I am only 19 weeks along. I get huge early. Not fun but that's the way it is for some of us. Even if I don't say it, I'm thinking, "it'll go away eventually and the comments you'll be making to me in a few months will be very different..." :twisted:

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    People are such jerks!!!
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I think people forget how big you get when you're a) carrying a full term or near full term baby and b) also carrying the extra fluid that sustains that baby. I really swelled up towards the end of my pregnancy, but remember it is temporary. People can be so incredibly rude. There were days when I wanted to pop people who made comments. :twisted:

I'm sure you look beautiful.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    I had flintstone feet and that was the topic of conversation all during my 9th month. Why people felt the need to remind me that my feet looked like balloons is beyond me. I already felt bad and my feet fit no shoes. I don't get why people say the things they say.

I'm 20 weeks now and everyone is making comments about how I'm only 1/2 way through. What will I look like at 9 months. Ok - I know I'm big, I know I've got a ways to go, I know I'll be huge in December. Stop reminding me!!!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Oh, I hated those comments too. :evil: Doesn't it just make you want to scream at them, "Don't you know what a 8-months (or whatever) pregnant woman looks like? Here's a hint: It might NOT be like Jennifer Aniston on Friends!"

((((HUGS))))
    ehLB.jpg
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    touchtummy.jpg
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Some people are such insensitive a-holes! :evil: I'm sorry!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
    Tell them that your weight will come off, but their tactlessness will be there forever. :wink:
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • rosannarosannadannarosannarosannadanna Registered Users Posts: 109
    Better that than when you aren't pregnant and they ask when are you due! :shock:

Been there! When kids say it to me I tell them that there is just more of me to love. :wink:

Hang in there.
    "Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Our goals should be health (and) stamina." - Emme Aronson

3A short inverted bob, auburn with red highlights colored hair
    Fine, but lots of it

Yes to Cucumbers Color Care shampoo and conditioner, AOMMJ, KCCC, CJCIAB, CJRP, CJBCLI, CJCR.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Just this morning, I was informed that I'll be having a REALLY big baby. I guess some people can tell these things at 19 weeks. :?

When I gave her a look, she added "because you're so big already."

I gave her another look.

"I mean you're showing already."

Hello, I'm almost halfway. I'd be worried if I wasn't showing. Argh! So here it is, Munchy's having twins and I'm having a giant baby. :roll:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    I'm sorry you all are having to deal with such tactless comments. I had to deal with a few of "are you sure the baby is growing okay" and "are you sure he's not sickly since you are obviously not eating enough" since I measured so small. I just politely let people know that I was starving myself and my baby but my caregivers who I saw nearly weekly were A-okay with that.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    DarkAngel wrote:
    I'm sorry you all are having to deal with such tactless comments. I had to deal with a few of "are you sure the baby is growing okay" and "are you sure he's not sickly since you are obviously not eating enough" since I measured so small. I just politely let people know that I was starving myself and my baby but my caregivers who I saw nearly weekly were A-okay with that.
    :lol:
    The comments are so rude. If it were my best girl friend, that's one thing, but to have strangers say it is terrible. I had the comments, too, and mostly laughed them off. Coming up with a polite quip can make you feel better, even if they don't get it.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    had to deal with a few of "are you sure the baby is growing okay" and "are you sure he's not sickly since you are obviously not eating enough" since I measured so small.

I got that from a woman I worked with. Strangely enough, she was always pestering me for the exact number of pounds I had gained while saying that doctors told her (back in the day) not to gain more than 15 lbs. So she was telling me I was too small, worried if my baby was okay because I was small, and yet I had gained far more than the 15 lbs she deemed appropriate (I didn't divulge that, though). She was a sweet lady, but that whole thing was just wacky. I was super annoyed then, but it's actually pretty funny to me now.

DA--Xander was really big for a preemie too!!!
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Registered Users Posts: 4,263
    DarkAngel wrote:
    :lol:
    The comments are so rude. If it were my best girl friend, that's one thing, but to have strangers say it is terrible. I had the comments, too, and mostly laughed them off. Coming up with a polite quip can make you feel better, even if they don't get it.

I didn't laugh a THING off! Someone told me something like "WOOOOAH!! Are you having TRIPLETS!?!?!?! YOU'RE YOOOOGE!". What gets me is that these are people who really have no room to talk. So I usually responded with the "I'm pregnant..what's YOUR excuse?" line.
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Registered Users Posts: 637
    I would get the "you're so big!" comments too & it always irked me. I had a baby that was just shy of 11 lbs---of course I was big! I would tell people I had GD & that my baby was big & usually that shut them up.

I'm convinced that some people are just uncomfortable around pregnant women & feel compelled to say SOMETHING. Sadly that something is usually something inane.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    gemini wrote:

DA--Xander was really big for a preemie too!!!

I know! That's part of why I didn't let the comments bother me. He was consistently growing ahead of schedule so why let people who obviously lack class and manners upset me.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • curlyninercurlyniner Registered Users Posts: 130
    I'm sorry so many of you have to deal with people who *obviously* don't know a thing about what a pregnant woman is supposed to look like - and how different one can look from another. I got it a lot with my first, but now that I work from home it's not so much. Usually all I see are my close friends...so rather than the rude comments, I get "How are you feeling?". Constantly. :?

(I actually think I was one of those tactless people at one time, pre-kids. I have since gone back and apologized to the couple of people - mostly relatives - that I said things to. From that perspective, I had absolutely no ill-intentions, I just had no knowlege of what you were supposed to look like. I still remember telling my sister-in-law - who normally is 100 pounds soaking wet and pure muscle - that she was the biggest pregnant woman I had ever seen. Honestly, remembering back I still feel that way. But now I know it wasn't the nicest thing to say out loud. Women that have had children have no excuse, though.)
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe you should ask back...

Would you ask or say that to me if I wasn't pregnant???

So many people think it's okay to ask personal questions or say rude things when one is pregant.

(I wish I had thought of this response when I was pregnant :lol: )
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately the comments don't always end after pregnancy. How to feed them, how to get them to sleep, disciple. Seems sometimes after you have kids it gives everyone a license to invade your privacy.

My favorites are the huge exaggerations. Like if you don't teach them to go to sleep by themselves they NEVER will learn, or I had one woman when I was talking about how I dream of the day I can take a bath/shower alone without kids trying to jump in. She asked if when I expect this to happen, I said a few years or so. She said yeah more like 15 years. and also according to her, it's about 20 years to get them out of your bed at night. My son is 4 right now, so, and in my experience there aren't alot of high-teens and 20 somethings still sleeping and showering with their mothers. What's even sadder is this woman was a licenced developmental therapist w/ a degree who works with children!!!
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    DarkAngel wrote:

Yep, I got those same comments DarkAngel... and he was a very healthy weight.

Munchy... hope you feel better now.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    I feel much better - and by the way, Amneris, it's time to change your ticker! :lol:

• M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    Glad to hear that you're feeling better...I can't believe that people are such asses.

I got comments, too. They suck.
    :rambo:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    curlyniner wrote:
    I actually think I was one of those tactless people at one time, pre-kids.

Me, too. :lol: That's why I can't get too mad about it.

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    I never got that...
    I need to teach y'all my don't f w/ me look...lol

:twisted:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    I got one of these comments yesterday. Family friends of ours have a big picnic/party every Labor Day weekend and my husband and I were over there yesterday. There's this dreadful woman whom no one can stand, but is always invited because my mom and the woman whose house it was have been "friends" with her for so long.

We were out on the patio, she was sitting and I was standing, and she looked at me and said "Not to be rude, but you just look RIDICULOUS". My mom and I looked at each other shocked, and then I responded with "How so? In what way?" She said "it's just this THING sticking out of you." My mom got all defensive and said "that's my grandson you're talking about!" After a minute I just said it was time for a bathroom break and excused myself.

The thing is, I didn't even get offended. It was such a ridiculous thing to say (what does she think a 38-week pregnant woman is SUPPOSED to look like?) and I know I look fine, so I almost just laughed when she said it. Looking back I could have called her out for being rude, or said something rude in return, but it was just so crazy I didn't even want to get worked up over it.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Good for you for letting it roll off your back. I think you responded very graciously. I'd have probably been more like :angry4:.
    ehLB.jpg
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    PixieCurl wrote:
    I got one of these comments yesterday. Family friends of ours have a big picnic/party every Labor Day weekend and my husband and I were over there yesterday. There's this dreadful woman whom no one can stand, but is always invited because my mom and the woman whose house it was have been "friends" with her for so long.

We were out on the patio, she was sitting and I was standing, and she looked at me and said "Not to be rude, but you just look RIDICULOUS". My mom and I looked at each other shocked, and then I responded with "How so? In what way?" She said "it's just this THING sticking out of you." My mom got all defensive and said "that's my grandson you're talking about!" After a minute I just said it was time for a bathroom break and excused myself.

The thing is, I didn't even get offended. It was such a ridiculous thing to say (what does she think a 38-week pregnant woman is SUPPOSED to look like?) and I know I look fine, so I almost just laughed when she said it. Looking back I could have called her out for being rude, or said something rude in return, but it was just so crazy I didn't even want to get worked up over it.

That is SO rude - glad it didn't get to you. The THING is a human being!!!!!!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file