Yep Still Dry

MissshannonMissshannon Posts: 20Registered Users
I hate to post yet another dry hair topic in addition to all the ones that float around but I am still having the same problem
So I will first tell you what my routine is(BTW I'm trying to follow the CG method)also my hair is a compilation of Wavy and s-curled 3c/4a curls
Daily I co wash my hair with V05 moisture milks or trader joe's Nourish spa. I usually leave a small amount of the moisture milks in. On very rare occasions I apply ECOstyler protein styling gel but this is very rare because I am trying to do as little to my hair as possible (it usually looks it's best). Anyway after I condition I apply StaSoFro as a moisturizer. Weekly I deep condition with either of the two conditioners mixed with honey. Now here is were the problem arises. What am I doing wrong? Why is my hair still dry in appearance and to the touch? Just in case it is asked I have not noticed any breakage since being natural.

Ladies help if you can! TIA

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    #1 - If you have any old product left in your hair that could cause it. #2 - conditioners (especially conditioners with protein)can build up. For me, doing an occasional non-sulfate gentle low poo does the trick and allows a moisturizing conditioner to really penetrate my hair, not just sit on top of it.
    #3 - try using a more moisturizing conditioner to follow the co-wash (not just the same condish with honey, although TJ's is pretty moisturizing) or add a little oil to the rinseout conditioner, as well as honey.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CottonCandyCottonCandy Posts: 125Registered Users
    One thing you could experiment with...try cutting out the sta-sof-fro and the VO5. For me, I cannot use the VO5 conditioners without them drying out my hair, in fact, any conditioner that has stearalkonium chloride high on the ingredients list gives me bad results. I'm not sure if that is coincidence or not, but I can use cheapies like Suave Coconut just fine...also, I have bad results with products that have a lot of glycerin (curl activator) in them. For some reason, I just get dry hair everytime. I don't avoid products with glycerin, but if its one of the first few listed I usually stay away.
    For leave-ins I always use a light leave in conditioner and some sort of oil. Because I use oil, I have found that I cannot go entirely CG, and have to use shampoo periodically, or, I get dry buildup-y hair.

I hope this helps a bit, I go through dry stages too but using changing up a few things (and a lot of deep conditioning) help a lot.
    3c-like S-waves and random curls
    Fine density; medium & fine strands
    Naturally very dry and very frizzy
  • MissshannonMissshannon Posts: 20Registered Users
    thanks a lot I will try all of the suggestions to see whats going on thanks again
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hmm what is stearalkonium chloride supposed to do? detangle? soften? just curious...
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote:
    hmm what is stearalkonium chloride supposed to do? detangle? soften? just curious...

Soften. They use it in fabric softeners, too.

OP: I had a similar experience to you. I was co-washing & conditioning everyday/every other day using VO5 and Suave conditioners last summer and my hair was very dry. It definitely needed more heavy duty moisturization than those brands could offer.

Also, I've found that even rinsing with water can strip natural lubrication from my hair, so the daily co-washes were taking their toll and probably would be doing so even with the BEST conditioner, far less Suave. Maybe you can try cutting down on the co-washes, but still doing enough to get the moisturizing benefits that they can bring, when not overused- (I do 2 a week).

Good substitutes include the Lustrasilk Olive & Shea cholesterols, they are much more conditioning and moisturizing than Suave and they only cost like $2.50 for a big 20oz jar. You can enhance their effectiveness by adding honey as you're doing with Suave, but even on their own they are far superior to Suave VO5 on severely dry hair.

Also, it takes time to improve the moisture balance of your hair-it can literally take months, though it can take less, so it's important to look at it from a long-term perspective.
    hmm that is interesting...thanks...when i run out of the several bottles of v05 i bought i'll look for something else...thanks!!
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    I add aloe vera gel (edible kind, so it's kind of runny) to my V05 conditioner (I use the Tea Therapy and the new Chamomile version) or the Suave conditioners and my hair has become much softer since then.

I would suggest concentrating on what's at the top of the list of ingredients (top 5 or 6) in products that your hair DOES respond well to, the rest will fall in line.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
    thanks so much for the many more suggestions currently I was cutting out the V05 as cottoncandy suggested and using only trader joe's which is a thicker better nourishing conditioner so I guess I will also try to incorporate the suggestion of cowashed less per week from jeamaria. I also did an apple cider vinegar rinse a couple of days ago and just yesterday I oiled the scalp with 100% pure shea butter oil so hopefully my hair gets better. Anymore suggestions or any other comments would be greatly appreciated
    I would stop oiling my scalp and put the oil on my hair. Oil the scalp could discourate it from producting its own natural sebum.
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users
    Well...... I hate to sound like a broken record, BUT I recently discovered Karen's Body Beautiful ( the hair milk and cream to be exact)... HANDS DOWN these are the BEST products for moisture. period. I use to suffer from soft hair (only when wet), and by 12pm, my hair was dry, crunchy, hard. :cry: But, not anymore!! KBB's hair milk (as a leave-in) and hair cream (on top moisture) keeps my hair very moist all day long (no kidding :P ) So, check her out... you won't be sorry! :D

www.karensbodybeautiful.com
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/
    I would stop oiling my scalp and put the oil on my hair. Oil the scalp could discourate it from producting its own natural sebum.
    Thanks I'll remember that next time I decide to oil my hair and denisemounie thanks for recommending KBB I might dig up some money and try to invest in the milk
    considering that the v05 might not be the best for cowashing. what are you ladies using for a cowash these days? i have some of the elucence moisturizing conditioner left over. what else is good and non drying?
    luvmylocs wrote:
    considering that the v05 might not be the best for cowashing. what are you ladies using for a cowash these days? i have some of the elucence moisturizing conditioner left over. what else is good and non drying?

Lately I have been using trader joe's nourishing spa conditioner and I am in love with it. The only thing I don't love is that I don't get as much curl definition from it as I did the V05 but it feels so much better on my hair

Also ladies I have taken your suggestions and my hair feels a lot better today I fingered aloose my curls(from a rollerset) with some olive oil(Extra Virgin of course!) and I love it!
    comic-p.jpg

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote:

Robert Craig conditioner. I adore this conditioner. I use it as a cowashing and as a leave-in.

I tried a new conditioner tonight: John Masters Organic Citrus and Neroli. It feels like silk on my hands. So far so good. Used as cowash and as a leave-in.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    thanks Windflower, do you get those both on-line?

also, anyone know any good co-wash conditioners that can be purchased in a store (i.e. health food or otherwise?)
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    I buy Robert Craig from online. I found a salon in my area that sells the John Masters Organic. I cowashed with the JM and then uses some as a leave-in along with the Aubrey mandarin jelly. Good hair day. :)

The JM can be found in some health food stores.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    thank you!!

update - i found the john masters at whole foods...thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file