update - hair trim support/advice

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
okay ladies,

i'm preparing to trim my ends but i'm NERVOUS!!!

my hair is in a bunch of two strand twists right now. i never straighten or use heat on my hair so after reading motowngirl.com, nappturality.com and here i think triming the ends of my twists might be the best option. i don't care about all over even hair at all.

i was fine with going somewhere to get it trimmed but the last person i went to was ROUGH with my hair (ouch) and the other place i called said it would be $55+ because the don't do "partial services" so that's the price for a wash, condition and cut. i like the products i'm using so i don't want to go through new products and a new person and explaining why i don't want my hair shampooed.

so ladies, ANY advice/guidance/support on me trimming my ends while my hair is in the two strand twists? i literally want to cut the very tip of each twist and that's it. will that be enough? i have a good pair of hair scissors. i twisted with the last little bit of my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]milkshake[/buylink] and finished it off with myhoneychild island conditioner...my hair doesn't feel producty at all, it's nice and soft.

comments please!!
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• bookwormbookworm Posts: 44Registered Users
    Since I have been natural I always trim my own hair.

I suggest you just go for it and trim how much you want from the ends of your twists just make sure you use sharp hair scissors since triming with anything else can do more harm than good to your ends.

FYI: I have learned from experience that when you tirm the ends of twists you don't get all the indivivual hair ends and at some point you may need to do a loose hair trim to get all individual ends if you have damage.
    4A Hair
    Last relaxer 10/2003
    HG product-Curling Custard but always willing to try something new.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks for the advice bookworm! i have no reason to think i have damage...i am just trying to be proactive and make sure my ends stay good. motowngirl suggests cutting at an angle, do you agree with that? for starters i'm going to just trim a tiny bit on the tips only just to see how it goes.
  • Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Posts: 564Registered Users
    Hey there!

I also use the twist method to trim my ends. I just make about 15-20 twists (4-6 front and 10 or so in the back) and carefully trim the ends in the bathroom mirror so that the twists line up the same on either side.

I usually just start with the front and work my way down to the sides and back and if you look at your twists as they hang on each side of your shoulder, you sould be able to line both sides up pretty well. But, it's true that if you want them perfectly even, then you'll need to flatiron and then have a friend with a steady hand help you (I only trust my friends with long hair to do this when I need outside help) but a barber can also trim straight ends and they won't charge you for services you don't want.

Also, as you gain more length over time, you will find that healthy hair needs fewer trims and some people manage with trims as few as every 6 months, but basically every 4 or 6 months should do and you don't have to trim needlessly if you don't have split ends or color treated hair, etc...

And it will definitely get easier with practice!

Good luck and don't worry, you'll do just fine!
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!

[/COLOR]
    thanks ladies! i really appreciate it. i'm ready to trim...

btw, about how long does this take? i have LOTS of tiny twists. some are little bigger than others. i'm hoping it won't matter as long as i grasp the the ends well.

i don't care about perfectly even hair...i won't be flat ironing...i haven't blow dried or flat ironed my hair in more than 7 years before i went natural so the thought of that scares me. this is around the 5 month mark for me.
    The more twists you have the longer it will take, but it will prob be more even than working with fewer sections, but just take your time and it should be fine

[/COLOR]
    well i did it! i snipped a little off of each end. it wasn't so bad. it took me about an hour. i won't know the final results until i untwist my hair which won't be until this weekend or so when i wear it out....but i feel good about it. if it went well i'm never turning back. i secured it with clips. there were a few times when the hair came out of a clip and i couldn't remember if i snipped or not...but if anything i cut too little and not too much. since my ends didn't look bad i can live with that. this would be great because i would love to be able to cut my hair according to the lunar charts which is hard if you're depending on someone else...

oh well big thanks to you ladies that gave advice!!! i feel like a bonified, for real natural girl now!! i've been natural since 99 but this was the first time i cut my own hair!!! :D
  • majimaji Posts: 278Registered Users
    "i secured it with clips. there were a few times when the hair came out of a clip and i couldn't remember if i snipped or not..."

lol. exactly that happened to me last time I cut my hair...but I ended up with hair fanning out on one side..it is better now :wink:

From then on I decided to only cut knots off.
    it's SO empowering to be able to cut my own hair!!! i'm a rockstar!
  • kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote:
    it's SO empowering to be able to cut my own hair!!! i'm a rockstar!

:lol:

I love not having to go to the Salon, too! :lol:
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
  • thinfinethinfine Posts: 82Registered Users
    Does anyone here trim your hair to the cycles of the full and/or new moon? I was told that for thicker hair trim on the full moon. Faster growth, trim on the new moon. Any thoughts?
    thin, fine, 4a
    i trim according to this....i don't know it'll work or not but i'll try

www.morroccomethod.com/lunar.shtml
    ok i won't continue to bore you ladies with my hair trim posts but i just wanted to say that the finished product is nice....i untwisted my hair little by little over the last several days and i love it...no broken off pieces, ends look good and full. i feel great about it! thanks to all for the advice!!
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    thinfine wrote:
    Does anyone here trim your hair to the cycles of the full and/or new moon? I was told that for thicker hair trim on the full moon. Faster growth, trim on the new moon. Any thoughts?

My grandma used to do this, and several women from her generation. One woman told me she definitely noticed a difference from when she adhered to it and when she did not.

@luvmylocs-Glad it's working out for you! :D
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    luvmylocs wrote:
    i trim according to this....i don't know it'll work or not but i'll try

www.morroccomethod.com/lunar.shtml

I'm getting my hair cut on Wednesday, according to that calendar. I expect to have at least 2 inches of growth the next day :D Either that, or turn into a werewolf
    (but I just got waxed)

My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    okay so i'm not doing two strand twist anymore because of the tangles and knots that occur...so how do i trim my hair from the loose/fro state?
    you can trim the ends of the twists and just try to go slowly to make sure they balance on either side.

you can also try a barber for a dry trim, if you flatiron your hair first and then just let them trim (but not sure if you want to do all of that)

But, there are some salons that offer dry trims only ....

Good luck!

[/COLOR]
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    okay so i'm not doing two strand twist anymore because of the tangles and knots that occur...so how do i trim my hair from the loose/fro state?

Hey girl!

I've been going to the salon to get 'dry' trims. You know I use to twist and trim myself, but going to the salon and letting a professional do it has done wonders for my hair!! I know, I need to post some pics, but just to tell you... she blow dries my hair with comb attachment and then hits it with a flat iron and trims my ends. I love it because my hair is trimmed evenly all over and in its curly state it has better shape. At first I was going every 6 wks (because I was trying to get the Phyto out... my ends were really bad:cry:), but now I'm on a 12 week schedule. No kidding, my hair has fewer to no knots and the curls are actually clumping!!! :blob7::icescream: Go figure that! So, now I have coils, all over my head... its crazy?!??!?!!! I'm excited!!:hello1: I still have a ways to go as far as growth, but I feel like I've made a major breakthrough... go me!!!
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/

Hey girl!

I've been going to the salon to get 'dry' trims. You know I use to twist and trim myself, but going to the salon and letting a professional do it has done wonders for my hair!! I know, I need to post some pics, but just to tell you... she blow dries my hair with comb attachment and then hits it with a flat iron and trims my ends. I love it because my hair is trimmed evenly all over and in its curly state it has better shape. At first I was going every 6 wks (because I was trying to get the Phyto out... my ends were really bad:cry:), but now I'm on a 12 week schedule. No kidding, my hair has fewer to no knots and the curls are actually clumping!!! :blob7::icescream: Go figure that! So, now I have coils, all over my head... its crazy?!??!?!!! I'm excited!!:hello1: I still have a ways to go as far as growth, but I feel like I've made a major breakthrough... go me!!!

thanks for sharing! please post pics!! i have never straightened my hair since being natural. i'm sort of scared that so much will come out if i blow dry and with the heat of a flat iron. do you lose a lot of hair? i do need some shape to my hair!!
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    i have never straightened my hair since being natural. i'm sort of scared that so much will come out if i blow dry and with the heat of a flat iron. do you lose a lot of hair? i do need some shape to my hair!!

Luvmylocs...if you blow dry freshly detangled hair on a low heat setting in sections, you shouldn't have any problem losing hair. I blow dry my hair occasionally (every 2-3 months when I flat iron it and I've never had a problem.

Denise....yes, post pics. I haven't seen you around here in a while!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    last night while my hair was dry i fluffed it out with my hands and clipped random hair balls and knots at the end. that was the first time i tried that "method" and i like the results. it's not perfect but my hair feels good. i thought about another poster who went to see the author of curly girl and how she mentioned cutting our hair is like tending to a garden. that's what i thought as i went through trimming here and there. i think your hair has to be dry for it to work well.

i just wanted to share for those thinking of trimming for themselves that this method worked for me.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    last night while my hair was dry i fluffed it out with my hands and clipped random hair balls and knots at the end. that was the first time i tried that "method" and i like the results. it's not perfect but my hair feels good. i thought about another poster who went to see the author of curly girl and how she mentioned cutting our hair is like tending to a garden. that's what i thought as i went through trimming here and there. i think your hair has to be dry for it to work well.

i just wanted to share for those thinking of trimming for themselves that this method worked for me.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. I trim as needed, so that could be once a month (4 wks) or even more at times. I've been doing my own trims over the summer after having had a mini-chop this year in February. (Don't even get me started on how this "stylist" claimed to know how to do curly hair and when I saw her technique I knew she was full of sh*t.)

I pretty much have always cut dry, and I only trim very very small bits off the tips so I don't cut too much at one time accidentally. I have done "trims" on myself before where I took out big noticeable chunks in the back where I couldn't see.. so now I'm more conservative with the scissors.

Good for you for having the courage to take over the care of your hair! :afro:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    yeah i realized it's better to carefully snip hairballs than to try to detangle them or rip them out with a brush or comb.

eta: now if i can just work on not getting them as much!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file