Question about infant car seats

sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
Can you use an infant car seat, the carrier part, without the base?

We are leaving on our holiday to England in a week. (Yippee!) I am a hella light packer in general, and would like to take as little stuff to schlep around as possible. I thought I had read in the owner's manual about being about to buckle in the carrier part without the base (maybe you need a seat belt locking clip), but I can't find the manual now. Has anyone ever done this? It's a Graco Safe Seat, in case anyone has that model.
ehLB.jpg

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I think most infant carseats are even safer when buckled in without the base.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I think most infant carseats are even safer when buckled in without the base.

I think so too, as long as its buckled in properly. Use the indicator on the side to make sure that the seat is at the right incline and put the seat belt over it (there are those notches on the sides of the seat) and buckle it in tight. The base is mainly for convenience.

We have the graco snugride and we travelled a lot in the first year. I took just the car seat with me and used the seatbelt wherever we went. No problems.

• CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    You can probably find the owner's manual online if you google (that's what I have to keep doing for mine). I know some of them are only carriers when not on the base, so it's worth looking up.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I did this in my car because the base is so bulky and I drive a 2 door hatchback. It was a Graco Snugride and the manual had instructions on how to set up the carrier without the base.
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Yes! So glad to hear this. I'm going to try and google the owner's manual and see what I can find.
    ehLB.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file