How to recognize Braxton-Hicks contractions?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
I'm not sure if I've had any Braxton-Hicks contractions yet, though I think I might have. Everyone tells me that they're not painful, just sort of a tightening and that your belly gets really hard. Well, my belly's always really hard, and frankly I have no idea how it could get any harder. A few minutes ago I had a tight feeling in my belly where it was uncomfortable to slouch (ribcage putting pressure on the top of my belly) so I had to sit up real straight, and then it went away and I can slouch comfortably now. Could that have been one?

I guess what I'm asking is, if/when I have a BH contraction, will I be unsure or will I just know? I'm not that worried or worked up over it, I just want to be able to recognize it if it happens.
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    If that's what they are, I had one yesterday. The whole right side of my abdomen was rock hard. I think it was because I did 2 shows yesterday, so I sat in a fairly uncomfortable chair for 2 hour stretches. It's interesting you mention your ribcage, as mine on that side was a little sore when I got up.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    If that's what they are, I had one yesterday. The whole right side of my abdomen was rock hard. I think it was because I did 2 shows yesterday, so I sat in a fairly uncomfortable chair for 2 hour stretches. It's interesting you mention your ribcage, as mine on that side was a little sore when I got up.

Yes, it does sound like both of you are having BH contractions. Mine were always uncomfortable. Toward the end, downright painful.

Guano--CGG, which instrument do you play again?
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Thanks medussa! :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    medussa wrote:

Yes, it does sound like both of you are having BH contractions. Mine were always uncomfortable. Toward the end, downright painful.

I agree. I got them all of a sudden maybe starting 2 months ago or so. Now they are a lot more common and getting to be more painful.

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Owwww! :shock: I think I may have just had one. I got a really bad cramp, like a period. Remembering this thread, I felt my belly and it was super hard. Half a minute later, it was gone and it's softer now. But should I even be having any of these this early? I know they mean the uterus is practicing for labor, but isn't it way early for mine to be practicing? Should I be worried if it happens more?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Owwww! :shock: I think I may have just had one. I got a really bad cramp, like a period. Remembering this thread, I felt my belly and it was super hard. Half a minute later, it was gone and it's softer now. But should I even be having any of these this early? I know they mean the uterus is practicing for labor, but isn't it way early for mine to be practicing? Should I be worried if it happens more?

It's normal to have BH contractions starting in 2nd trimester. They really shouldn't hurt though. They can make you feel "full", like pressurized, and may be uncomfortable, but they shouldn't hurt.
    Hmmm, I don't know what to think then. This wasn't a sharp stabbing pain, but it was VERY uncomfortable. My body reacted the same as it does to menstrual cramps, it wanted bend over and curl up around my abdomen. It might have been the shock of it that freaked me out the most. If it happens again, I'll try to pay more attention to exactly what I'm feeling. It's good to know that they're not a big deal though, even this early. :)

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    Bailey, I could really feel them around 23 weeks or so. They happened mostly after sex and were really uncomfortable to me too.

medussa wrote:

I play cello! Same as fuzzbucket!! But I think doing 2 shows on Saturday is what did me in - I was sitting up straight on the front edge of a hard-ish chair for 2 2-hour shows. (I smartened up for the second one and brought in a blanket from the car to put on the chair!)
    3b (I think!)
  • j'adorej'adore Registered Users Posts: 1,966 Curl Neophyte
    I remember those! They did not hurt, but it just felt like a hardening, or as if the baby was "balling" herself up or something. I had no idea what they were until my midwife told me.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    medussa wrote:

I play cello! Same as fuzzbucket!! But I think doing 2 shows on Saturday is what did me in - I was sitting up straight on the front edge of a hard-ish chair for 2 2-hour shows. (I smartened up for the second one and brought in a blanket from the car to put on the chair!)

We have two talented curlies on P&P. :D

I wonder if you can use some type of support pillow, like the ones you see at The Sharper Image or Brookstone. You need to be comfortable if you are sitting that long.
    medussa wrote:
    medussa wrote:

We have two talented curlies on P&P. :D

I wonder if you can use some type of support pillow, like the ones you see at The Sharper Image or Brookstone. You need to be comfortable if you are sitting that long.

In fact, I'll be doing a free outdoor concert in Farmingdale next week!

The blanket helped. The thing too is that it's a music-heavy show - not a lot of dialogue for me to sit back and relax, so I'm constantly playing and sitting forward. I only have one more weekend of it, so it's no biggie.
    3b (I think!)
  • curlyninercurlyniner Registered Users Posts: 130
    j'adore wrote:
    I remember those! They did not hurt, but it just felt like a hardening, or as if the baby was "balling" herself up or something. I had no idea what they were until my midwife told me.

Total ditto.
    With DD, I had no idea I was having them until I had one while the MW was feeling my belly during an appt. This was probably 35+ weeks. I had felt them, but I had always thought it was the baby balling up or kicking, just like j'adore said.

With this pg I know exactly what they are. My whole belly gets rock-hard from side to side and top to bottom. Doesn't hurt, just a little weird. And I did have it last 10 hours straight one night, after a particularly stressful few days of traveling around 32 weeks. :? But normally it's only a minute or two.
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I've been having BH contractions since about 8 weeks (this pregnancy). I don't know why. I only started having them in my third tri during my first pregnancy.

Mine have never hurt but just feel tight and sometimes almost like an "indian burn" on the inside. For some reason, they make me feel off balance, like it's hard to walk straight or something.

Does it mean anything if you start having BH contractions early into the pregnancy?

According to this article on Babycenter.com, women start getting BH contractions at around 6 weeks but don't feel them until about the halfway point. Maybe since this is your second baby, you are more sensitive to them and are just noticing them earlier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file